Hvac sweating in a finished basements

4 Replies

Causing water damage to the drywall soffit. Only in one room. Do I need to remove the drywall, insulate the ductwork, and patch it back up again?

@Max Tanenbaum
If the ducts are located within a conditioned space, even if they are enclosed in a soffit, they should not be sweating. It sounds as though you are either, A) not conditioning that space (in which case the ducts will need to be insulated) or, B) there is excessive infiltration of unconditioned air getting into the soffit. In the latter case you would need to plug up or insulate the cause of the excessive infiltration.

Additionally get yourself a dehumidified to remove the humidity from the air.

I agree with @Max Tanenbaum ,

Additionally, make sure you have given the open soffit sufficient time to dry out ie: inside of drywall if not to wet and framing for the soffit.

I would also look for mold in the nooks and crannies.

@Steve StMartin @Thomas S. @Tom W.

Guys!

It wasn't the HVAC sweating. That wouldn't happen in heat mode, only in AC mode (summer). But we found the problem. There is a drip leak in some plumbing from the bathroom above. The drips are landing on the ductwork which is causing the drywall damage in the basement below.

Thanks for your help!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.