Finally for tenant out but she left me her fleas

10 Replies

Need folks help for ideas to get rid a fleas. Got the tenant out and had the unit cleaned top to bottom including the carpet deep cleaned. It still smell like dogs but I can fix that.

The problem is we in today to drop off stuff to repaint and within a minute we covered in fleas.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have folks interested in the unit as soon as it is ready

Fels Napa soap (sp?). Sprinkle it over all the carpet and one inch over the edges. Let set 24 hrs and vacume. I never had it fail in all the years I had dogs. I would do this 2x a year when we were leaving for the weekend.

@Karen Sanders

Thanks, i hadn't heard that one. i tried to google it but i only came up with bar soap. It says wall world carries it so i will go see. i went to a local farm store and they recommended Diotomacious Earth. i have applied it the same way so if this doesn't work i'll get the soap.

Thanks again. 

Diatomacious earth should really do it! Great for fleas but also bedbugs, roaches, etc. 

@Rodney Morris I second the diatomaceous earth. It will kill everything in there and is non toxic. Vacuum it right up. I always sprinkle it between tenants especially in the bedrooms for bedbugs that you may not see right away. Wear a respirator as it is a really fine powder.

@David Smit and @Mike Reynolds , i spread it two days ago so i'm hoping any and all squatters are dead and can be swept away, thanks for the responses

I found out the hard way about the need for a respirator, should have read the directions.

Hoping to sweep up today and start painting several rooms.

I'm sure it can be proven to have health implications over time if breathed in constantly, but it's not like asbestos, and even that is overblown in our society. Don't get me started on radon... what a money maker. 

Lol. I hear ya, as they say there is money to be made in chaos. 

Well I just finished sweeping out the place and other than clogging the filter on my wife's vacuum it did the job. 

Thanks for the advice

Don't forget that fleas have a 5-20 day hatch period.  You may need to reapply in the next week to kill freshly hatched fleas from larvae that were in places not covered by your first application.  Good luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you