Cracks in foundation already?

4 Replies

Hello BP family! I am purchasing a house that is in construction. I went by and noticed several cracks in the foundation. They are small cracks and I brought it up to the builder who responded that concrete cracks and thats why we have a warranty. I plan to follow up on it but wanted to get your thoughts also. Thank you in advance!

Settlement cracks are going to happen on every house.  The width of the cracks will tell the story of whether it is serious or not.  

Sorry if this is a bit late. I am a project manager for a large concrete contractor. What people generally don't get told by their contractor is that concrete will always crack, no matter what. Cracks depend on a hundred different factors such as humidity on the day of the pour, ambient temperature currently, ambient temperature on pour day, etc. 

Hairline cracks (look like spider webs) are usually nothing to worry about and should be expected. I would worry when the cracks are wide. The wider the crack, the more likely it is to be structural. 

Back when I worked for a production builder, I believe our warranty kicked in when the crack was 3/16" wide. Yours may be different.

If they are small (thin) it's purely cosmetic and is something that unfortunately comes with the territory.

Late, but I hope this helps.

Thats helpful!

There are some cracks that look fine but a couple are a bit larger than nickel size which concerns me. We have another walk thru coming up and hoping the builder can chime in at that point.

Thank you for the info!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you