How can contractors add value?

2 Replies

I am a general contractor who solely works with investors and property managers.

We are blessed with having a full plate and I can not staff up enough! We got to this point by doing 3 things

1. Always doing what we say we will when we say we will, no matter what!

2. We hold our selves accountable and never leave on bad terms, even if it means I lose money.

3. ALWAYS Add value every chance you can. We love this because often time it costs next to nothing and builds great relationships.

Finally the real point!

What are some ways a contractor can add value to you?

@Fletcher Hardy As a project manager at a flooring company in Indianapolis I work this in my head a lot too. I also primarily work with investors and I have found that “adding value” isn’t always material. So I ask myself

What are an investors concerns? What do they need? What might be unique to them? Etc

I like to provide information. For example as they are deciding on flooring options for their flip I will make my suggestions based on what the COMPARABLE recent homes sold with. I will take on their mindset and consult like that. To give that one example.

There are other ways. But certainly having info and a network to share is valuable.

My top 3 priorities for a GC are

1.  Accurate quote in both schedule and cost.

2.  Communication 

3.  Reliability/consistent work quality.

I can deal with a higher price on the quote if I get those 3 items from the GC.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you