Calculating BRRR COC ROI and analysizing my first investment

Calculating BRRR COC ROI and analysizing my first investment

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 2 votes

Hi all,

My wife and I bought a condo in metrowest Boston in 2020 just as covid was starting and I'm now trying to check up on my actual investment return and need some help calculating my return and potential suggestions on what other numbers/calculations to look at.

Specifically (but not limited to), I'm trying to figure out my COC ROI. Given this is a BRRR what I'm unsure of is now that I'm ready to refinance, I can get $164,000 loan (Which means I get all my money out + $14,000, which is great!) but that means my COC ROI doesn't calculate properly because it is a negative number. Any ideas on how to handle this?

What other metrics should I look at? I've heard of IRR but not entirely sure how to run the numbers on it.

Quick parameters of the deal:

2 bed, 1 bath, 770 sq feet.

Purchase price: $132,000

Repairs: $18,000 (roughly) - New kitchen, bath, flooring, and paint - most work done by me directly (not paying myself)

Total Spend: $150,000 (all cash)

Current property value (with crazy covid house value price hikes over the past 2 years): Approx $205,000 (YAY!)

Property is now what I consider a Class A- property in a B+ location. (the town it's located in is pretty suburban so not a ton of demand for rental units (and not a lot of rental units available) but good schools, great community, super safe, and the lack of rental units actually creates enough demand.)

Rent: currently $1,600 per month with tenant leaving end of April. This is below market as they are friends who needed a place to stay while renovating their own house. Expect to raise the rent to market $1,900-2,000 for the next tenant.

(Note: Mortgage is not currently active as I haven't closed on it yet but I put in payment for analysis purposes).

Any help and/or suggestions on what to look at would be appreciated!

0Reply
57 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2021 · 774 posts · 501 votes
    4y

    Alex - Well, since you got all your money back on the refinance (congratulations!) they typically one would say you have no money into the deal now and your return is infinite. However, under your current situation you are not cash flowing, so technically speaking you don't have a cash on cash return. The good news is that when you rent at market rents you'll be above your $1,819 in expenses and therefore your CoC return will be infinite. You're in a very good spot! However, if you're looking for a metric to analyze I would look at "Return on equity" (ROE) for this property to show what type of return you're getting on your equity (market value of home - mortgage balance). Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    @Greg Kasmer Thanks for the advice. I'll look into ROE.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.