How am I supposed to buy a 2nd house!

How am I supposed to buy a 2nd house!

Flipper/Rehabber · Bremerton WA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 6 votes

Am I missing something? I'm struggling to see how I can afford to get into a second house with my current DTI. I own a house that I am living in with a VA loan and want to buy a different home and move into that as my primary residence and rent out my first home. But when I quickly run the numbers it doesn't add up. I owe 400K on my current home and would be looking at 450K for a new primary. That's 850K worth of debt. If I could rent my home for $2,500 (I hear lenders could take 75% of that projected income?) plus my monthly W2 income I get $8,675 (2500 X .75 plus 6800). My current monthly mortgage payment plus projected future mortgage payment (2900+2900 = 5800). So I would have debts of $5800 divided by $8,675 gives me a DTI of 67%. I do have money for a down payment, but I fail to see how I could make this work? Is my math wrong or is there another better way to do this? Any thing helps!!

3Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
1y

@Noah Wright for a primary?  i'm skeptical

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Noah WrightBusiness Member
    USA, Nationwide · Member since 2024 · 167 posts · 86 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Shawn Callan:

    Am I missing something? I'm struggling to see how I can afford to get into a second house with my current DTI. I own a house that I am living in with a VA loan and want to buy a different home and move into that as my primary residence and rent out my first home. But when I quickly run the numbers it doesn't add up. I owe 400K on my current home and would be looking at 450K for a new primary. That's 850K worth of debt. If I could rent my home for $2,500 (I hear lenders could take 75% of that projected income?) plus my monthly W2 income I get $8,675 (2500 X .75 plus 6800). My current monthly mortgage payment plus projected future mortgage payment (2900+2900 = 5800). So I would have debts of $5800 divided by $8,675 gives me a DTI of 67%. I do have money for a down payment, but I fail to see how I could make this work? Is my math wrong or is there another better way to do this? Any thing helps!!


    We have private funding without DTI throttles --

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Noah Wright for a primary?  i'm skeptical

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    1y

    @Shawn Callan

    Lenders typically look for a DTI under 50% for conventional loans. One option is to pay down any existing debts (credit cards, car loans, etc.) to free up income capacity. Any reduction in non-mortgage debt can make a big difference in your overall DTI.

    Since you mentioned having funds for a down payment, putting more down on your new purchase could reduce your new mortgage payment and lower your DTI. Alternatively, using part of those funds to pay your current mortgage might help create additional borrowing room.

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bremerton WA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    1y

  • Financial Advisor · Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 127 posts · 80 votes
    1y

    Just to take a step back...

    You mentioned your monthly mortgage on your current primary is $2900/month, but you expect rents to only be $2500/month. That would be a -$400/month cash flow. That definitely won't help when it comes to trying to purchase a new property with a conventional investment loan in terms of DTI.

    But yes, in general with every property you purchase with a conventional loan, it makes it harder to purchase another property with a conventional loan given the DTI restraints UNLESS you exponentially increase your income (preferably W2).

  • Jay HurstBusiness Member
    Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Shawn Callan:

    Am I missing something? I'm struggling to see how I can afford to get into a second house with my current DTI. I own a house that I am living in with a VA loan and want to buy a different home and move into that as my primary residence and rent out my first home. But when I quickly run the numbers it doesn't add up. I owe 400K on my current home and would be looking at 450K for a new primary. That's 850K worth of debt. If I could rent my home for $2,500 (I hear lenders could take 75% of that projected income?) plus my monthly W2 income I get $8,675 (2500 X .75 plus 6800). My current monthly mortgage payment plus projected future mortgage payment (2900+2900 = 5800). So I would have debts of $5800 divided by $8,675 gives me a DTI of 67%. I do have money for a down payment, but I fail to see how I could make this work? Is my math wrong or is there another better way to do this? Any thing helps!!


     Just trying to clarify, what is your W-2 monthly income?

    Hurst Real Estate, INC4.989 Reviews
  • Denis PonderPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Yuma, AZ · Member since 2023 · 280 posts · 246 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jay Hurst:
    Quote from @Shawn Callan:

    Am I missing something? I'm struggling to see how I can afford to get into a second house with my current DTI. I own a house that I am living in with a VA loan and want to buy a different home and move into that as my primary residence and rent out my first home. But when I quickly run the numbers it doesn't add up. I owe 400K on my current home and would be looking at 450K for a new primary. That's 850K worth of debt. If I could rent my home for $2,500 (I hear lenders could take 75% of that projected income?) plus my monthly W2 income I get $8,675 (2500 X .75 plus 6800). My current monthly mortgage payment plus projected future mortgage payment (2900+2900 = 5800). So I would have debts of $5800 divided by $8,675 gives me a DTI of 67%. I do have money for a down payment, but I fail to see how I could make this work? Is my math wrong or is there another better way to do this? Any thing helps!!


     Just trying to clarify, what is your W-2 monthly income?

    Looks to me like it's $6,800 based on the math in the parenthesis.

    If that's the case, looks like OP bought a little too much house the first time around.  You might need to be patient and save up more money or look for ways to increase your W2.  It's going to take a little while to get there financially.  Can you house hack where you are currently to accelerate your savings?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bremerton WA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:
    Quote from @Jay Hurst:
    Quote from @Shawn Callan:

    Am I missing something? I'm struggling to see how I can afford to get into a second house with my current DTI. I own a house that I am living in with a VA loan and want to buy a different home and move into that as my primary residence and rent out my first home. But when I quickly run the numbers it doesn't add up. I owe 400K on my current home and would be looking at 450K for a new primary. That's 850K worth of debt. If I could rent my home for $2,500 (I hear lenders could take 75% of that projected income?) plus my monthly W2 income I get $8,675 (2500 X .75 plus 6800). My current monthly mortgage payment plus projected future mortgage payment (2900+2900 = 5800). So I would have debts of $5800 divided by $8,675 gives me a DTI of 67%. I do have money for a down payment, but I fail to see how I could make this work? Is my math wrong or is there another better way to do this? Any thing helps!!


     Just trying to clarify, what is your W-2 monthly income?

    Looks to me like it's $6,800 based on the math in the parenthesis.

    If that's the case, looks like OP bought a little too much house the first time around.  You might need to be patient and save up more money or look for ways to increase your W2.  It's going to take a little while to get there financially.  Can you house hack where you are currently to accelerate your savings?

    Yes $6800 is my monthly income, I am in the military so my income does rise but not significantly. Here in WA I bought basically the cheapest 3/2 there was, I’m beginning to wonder if the price of houses here makes it that much more difficult to get into another one. I’m not giving up though and I really appreciate everyone’s input, it really does help 
  • Investor · Madison WI · Member since 2021 · 140 posts · 103 votes
    1y

    Yeah interest rates currently make it really difficult, as houses are often cheaper to rent than to pay the mortgage + taxes on. You might be better off not trying to house hack into a whole new house and either look for a duplex where you can rent half of it out or just look for a project house that you can get a DSCR loan on.

  • Denis PonderPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Yuma, AZ · Member since 2023 · 280 posts · 246 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Shawn Callan:
    Quote from @Denis Ponder:
    Quote from @Jay Hurst:
    Quote from @Shawn Callan:

    Am I missing something? I'm struggling to see how I can afford to get into a second house with my current DTI. I own a house that I am living in with a VA loan and want to buy a different home and move into that as my primary residence and rent out my first home. But when I quickly run the numbers it doesn't add up. I owe 400K on my current home and would be looking at 450K for a new primary. That's 850K worth of debt. If I could rent my home for $2,500 (I hear lenders could take 75% of that projected income?) plus my monthly W2 income I get $8,675 (2500 X .75 plus 6800). My current monthly mortgage payment plus projected future mortgage payment (2900+2900 = 5800). So I would have debts of $5800 divided by $8,675 gives me a DTI of 67%. I do have money for a down payment, but I fail to see how I could make this work? Is my math wrong or is there another better way to do this? Any thing helps!!


     Just trying to clarify, what is your W-2 monthly income?

    Looks to me like it's $6,800 based on the math in the parenthesis.

    If that's the case, looks like OP bought a little too much house the first time around.  You might need to be patient and save up more money or look for ways to increase your W2.  It's going to take a little while to get there financially.  Can you house hack where you are currently to accelerate your savings?

    Yes $6800 is my monthly income, I am in the military so my income does rise but not significantly. Here in WA I bought basically the cheapest 3/2 there was, I’m beginning to wonder if the price of houses here makes it that much more difficult to get into another one. I’m not giving up though and I really appreciate everyone’s input, it really does help 

    Yeah, that does make it tough.

    Primarily, thank you for your service!  Phenomenal sacrifice and much appreciated!

    Keep working it and grinding it out.  The nice thing is your equity will likely grow quickly in the area.  So, while you might not be able to save up as quickly, the gain in net worth could very much be worth the wait.

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    So this is actually fairly straightforward... 

    99% of houses don't make good rental properties - your original primary will not make a good rental. $2900 (mortgage payment) - $2500 (projected rent) = -$400 (monthly cashflow). Add in property manager, repairs/maintenance, CapEx, vacancy etc and you will be deep in the red. This would likely be a bad investment in your position.

    I would personally plan to sell your primary and purchase a new primary. 

    Take advantage of that VA loan again too - much better terms than going with a private lender/DSCR type loan.

    You can always house hack, buy a multi family, do a trailer park and live in a trailer etc. You may even consider doing some budgeting and see if a smaller house or even (dare I say it?) renting makes sense...

  • Real Estate Agent · Nampa, ID · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 361 votes
    1y

    There are a lot of lenders, which a lot of programs, that have a lot of different requirements.  I would work with a lender on your specific situation.  I have seen people be able to get similar deals done.  

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Shawn Callan your plan is high risk due to the amount of debt you're taking on and the negative cashflow.

    What happens if you get a bad tenant and it takes you months to evict them and they trash the place on the way out?

    Where will the money come from to cover your mortgage payments AND the needed rehab work?

    If you decide to go this route, suggest you get a HELOC on your current primary before moving. Then be disciplined enough to NOT use it except in an emergency situation like above. Do NOT use it for your down payment on the new home.

    You should also do some research to map out when rents will rise enough to cover the current negative cashflow. Typically, it's 3-5 years. Can your income support it that long?

    If everything goes right, this would work out well in the long run for you due to rising rents and property values. 

    You could also try to change your plans to find away to better position yourself. 

    1) Find a fixer-upper and use the FHA 203(k) to finance the repairs in the purchase mortgage. You have to get contractor bids to qualify, but ten you can do the work yourself after closing and build sweat-equity.

    2) Be very picky about the next property you buy and make a bunch of lowball offers to find a motivated seller, willing to sell under market. You may have to pay an agent to make all these lowball offers, otherwise they may get tired of you wasting their time.

    3) What can you do to your current house to generate cashflow now or more in the future:
    - Finish the basement as a separate unit? 
    - Convert garage to ADU?
    - Add ADU on top of garage?

    Would not recommend investing remotely until you have some local property management experience. 

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Ko KashiwagiPro Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 967 posts · 445 votes
    1y

    Hi Shawn,

    Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure you deduct the rent (75%) you're getting from the liabilities (denominator) rather than adding to your income (nominator) IF it's an investment property. This should help your DTI a little bit.

    For the purchase, you can also look into triplex and fourplexes and use those rent to help you out.

  • Bryan MaddexBusiness Member
    Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 159 posts · 76 votes
    1y

    Hey @Shawn Callan

    I sometimes cringe when i see some replies to threads so lets clear up a few things. 

    First, do NOT take a heloc out on your current home unless you are planning on living there for another year. Helocs, just like mortgages, have occupancy clauses that state you plan to live in the home for the next 12 months. Doing this and then moving out right away is called Occupancy Fraud, a type of mortgage fraud! 

    Next, if you do another VA mortgage, VA allows you to take your lease and offset your mortgage payment. You do not have to take 75% of your lease! That is a conventional and FHA guideline, VA allows 100% of your lease to offset up to all of your mortgage payment. You cannot use rental income above your mortgage payment to help qualify for a larger mortgage, but you can utilize 100% of the lease income to offset so that should help you qualify for more of a mortgage.

    VA allows you to have 2 VA mortgages. Your first mortgage uses up your Entitlement or Tier 1 Entitlement. You now can use Bonus Entitlement, or Tier 2 Entitlement.  This is based off of the conventional loan limit where you are buying. If you are buying in a standard loan limit area (most of the country), your current bonus entitlement is $766,550. Take your initial VA mortgage (lets say it is $410k) from $766,550 and you have $356,550 in bonus entitlement. If you are purchasing for $450k, you just have to put 25% of the difference down ($450,000 - $356,550 = $93,450 * .25 = $23,362 would be your down payment. 

    Conventional loan would take $22,500 so going VA is a no brainer! Cheaper rate, no PMI, better underwriting for rental income. Down side, your 2nd usage of a VA mortgage will run you 3.3% on the VA Funding fee (but it is financed into the loan), unless you get any disability from VA.

    As others stated, selling could be beneficial if you are going into negative cashflow. But, VA is the only "owner occupied" loan type that you can actually refinance after you have converted this to an investment property!  Depending on what your rate is, you may be able to lower your payment with a refi, even after you move out!  Also, rent typically can be increased every year. If you think this property is in an area that will see decent appreciation, I would try to rent it out for 3 years and then consider selling. 

    Not giving tax advise, so check with your CPA, but I sold a rental after it was my primary for over 2 years and as long as it was considered my primary residence "2 of the last 5 years", I did not have to pay capital gains on my property sale up to the IRS limit. 


    Bello Mortgage powered by Coast2Coast Mortgage
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bremerton WA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bryan Maddex:

    Hey @Shawn Callan

    I sometimes cringe when i see some replies to threads so lets clear up a few things. 

    First, do NOT take a heloc out on your current home unless you are planning on living there for another year. Helocs, just like mortgages, have occupancy clauses that state you plan to live in the home for the next 12 months. Doing this and then moving out right away is called Occupancy Fraud, a type of mortgage fraud! 

    Next, if you do another VA mortgage, VA allows you to take your lease and offset your mortgage payment. You do not have to take 75% of your lease! That is a conventional and FHA guideline, VA allows 100% of your lease to offset up to all of your mortgage payment. You cannot use rental income above your mortgage payment to help qualify for a larger mortgage, but you can utilize 100% of the lease income to offset so that should help you qualify for more of a mortgage.

    VA allows you to have 2 VA mortgages. Your first mortgage uses up your Entitlement or Tier 1 Entitlement. You now can use Bonus Entitlement, or Tier 2 Entitlement.  This is based off of the conventional loan limit where you are buying. If you are buying in a standard loan limit area (most of the country), your current bonus entitlement is $766,550. Take your initial VA mortgage (lets say it is $410k) from $766,550 and you have $356,550 in bonus entitlement. If you are purchasing for $450k, you just have to put 25% of the difference down ($450,000 - $356,550 = $93,450 * .25 = $23,362 would be your down payment. 

    Conventional loan would take $22,500 so going VA is a no brainer! Cheaper rate, no PMI, better underwriting for rental income. Down side, your 2nd usage of a VA mortgage will run you 3.3% on the VA Funding fee (but it is financed into the loan), unless you get any disability from VA.

    As others stated, selling could be beneficial if you are going into negative cashflow. But, VA is the only "owner occupied" loan type that you can actually refinance after you have converted this to an investment property!  Depending on what your rate is, you may be able to lower your payment with a refi, even after you move out!  Also, rent typically can be increased every year. If you think this property is in an area that will see decent appreciation, I would try to rent it out for 3 years and then consider selling. 

    Not giving tax advise, so check with your CPA, but I sold a rental after it was my primary for over 2 years and as long as it was considered my primary residence "2 of the last 5 years", I did not have to pay capital gains on my property sale up to the IRS limit. 


    Thank you so much Bryan, this info was very helpful. I can now see how the those wide gaps in my plan/idea can get closer together and be possible

  • Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2017 · 81 posts · 13 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Shawn Callan:

    Am I missing something? I'm struggling to see how I can afford to get into a second house with my current DTI. I own a house that I am living in with a VA loan and want to buy a different home and move into that as my primary residence and rent out my first home. But when I quickly run the numbers it doesn't add up. I owe 400K on my current home and would be looking at 450K for a new primary. That's 850K worth of debt. If I could rent my home for $2,500 (I hear lenders could take 75% of that projected income?) plus my monthly W2 income I get $8,675 (2500 X .75 plus 6800). My current monthly mortgage payment plus projected future mortgage payment (2900+2900 = 5800). So I would have debts of $5800 divided by $8,675 gives me a DTI of 67%. I do have money for a down payment, but I fail to see how I could make this work? Is my math wrong or is there another better way to do this? Any thing helps!!



    It looks like you're on the right track with your math, but a couple things could help. First, keep in mind that some lenders might let you use more than 75% of the rental income, especially if you have a solid rental history or property management in place. Also, your DTI can sometimes be more flexible depending on your credit score or reserves, so it's worth asking the lender about that.

    If your DTI is still too high, try looking at ways to lower your monthly payments or increase your rental income. Could you get a higher rent for your current home? Or maybe consider putting more down on the new place to lower the mortgage? You could also explore other loan programs that work better with higher DTIs, or even pay down some of your current debt. It might take some adjustments, but you're not far off from making this work!



  • Lender · Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    Your math is mostly right, but there are a few things that might help make this work.

    VA loan treatment of rental income – Some lenders will exclude your current VA loan payment from your DTI if you have a signed lease in place. Instead of only counting 75% of the rent, they might let you offset the entire mortgage payment, which would lower your DTI significantly.

    Lenders calculate rental income differently – While 75% of projected rent is common, others will look at net rental income from your tax returns if you’ve owned the home for a while. If you can show a history of rental income on the property, they might be more flexible in how they calculate it.

    Keeping cash reserves can help – If you go with a conventional loan for the new home, keeping a larger cash reserve instead of putting down a big down payment could help. Some lenders allow a higher DTI if you have strong reserves and high credit.

    Finding a lender with higher DTI limits – Most conventional lenders cap DTI around 50%, but some will go higher if you have strong compensating factors, like a high credit score, large reserves, or a strong rental history.

    This is exactly what a good mortgage lender should help you calculate. If you're not getting that type of feedback I'd consider exploring options to get that support from your team.

  • Teresa BoykinPro Member
    Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    If you're still looking for ways to start investing in real estate, you could consider investing with self-directed IRA funds and possibly a non-recourse loan. The profit from your investment property would flow back into your SDIRA and grow either tax-deferred or tax-free, depending on if your account is a Traditional 401k or a Roth IRA.

    If you have outside funds to use as well, look into fractional investing. This would allow you to invest using a combination of IRA and outside funds.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.