Hey, I have put over $100k in a property and it will cost $309k more to renovate, it has been a challange so far and has taken up 2 years. Essentially, I took on a 4 unit old property that had way more work than I thought it would.
The mortgage is $150k and the arv is $600k. Part of me thinks I should just cut my losses, however, it would be difficult selling in an unfinished state.
It is in the midwest in a growing town. I have a solid GC plan for the $309k renovation but I am worried that it is too much risk and me trying to reclaim sunk costs.
How much would you net or lose from selling as is? There probably some assumptions re: ARV, actual reno cost and time frame. If you aren't local it makes it all the more difficult.
How much would you net or lose from selling as is? There probably some assumptions re: ARV, actual reno cost and time frame. If you aren't local it makes it all the more difficult.
Hey, I have put over $100k in a property and it will cost $309k more to renovate, it has been a challange so far and has taken up 2 years. Essentially, I took on a 4 unit old property that had way more work than I thought it would.
The mortgage is $150k and the arv is $600k. Part of me thinks I should just cut my losses, however, it would be difficult selling in an unfinished state.
It is in the midwest in a growing town. I have a solid GC plan for the $309k renovation but I am worried that it is too much risk and me trying to reclaim sunk costs.
The biggest mistake would be making the decision based on the $100k you've already spent. That money is gone whether you finish the project or not. I'd focus entirely on today's numbers: if you put in the remaining $309k, what does the finished property realistically appraise for, cash flow at, and allow you to refinance into? If those numbers still make sense and you have a reliable GC with a clear plan, finishing may be the better move. If not, it might be worth exploring an exit before throwing more capital at it. At this point, I'd treat it like a brand-new investment decision and ignore the sunk costs as much as possible.
Hey, I have put over $100k in a property and it will cost $309k more to renovate, it has been a challange so far and has taken up 2 years. Essentially, I took on a 4 unit old property that had way more work than I thought it would.
The mortgage is $150k and the arv is $600k. Part of me thinks I should just cut my losses, however, it would be difficult selling in an unfinished state.
It is in the midwest in a growing town. I have a solid GC plan for the $309k renovation but I am worried that it is too much risk and me trying to reclaim sunk costs.
If the $300k is cash you have sitting in a bank, is it better to invest that elsewhere or in this property? What provides a better ROI? As others mentioned, the $100k is sunk costs, you haveto evaluate it based on selling now or what that $300k would net you, which sounds like not that much.
Reading through your previous posts I think the best option is to sell it. The numbers are swinging wildly in the last few months - ARV has gone from $375k to $600k, rehab cost to finish has gone from $150k to $309k. Without realistic numbers when two years into a project, there is no possible way to more forward.
A bit of a harsh truth, but take the lessons from this one and move on to a simpler project.
There are a few more questions I would ask myself before selling. What is the cost to build the units new? If I could put the remaining $309K in and be all in for $559K (includes the mortgage) could I still cash flow on the property? Are you currently sunk $100K with nothing to show or do you at least have income coming from one or more units?
If $559K is cheaper than building new and you can justify higher rents after remodeling it then it may be worth it to keep. Its all a numbers game at the end of the day. If you do decide to continue I would say focus up on getting units active. If you have spent $100k already and don't have at least one turn key unit then I think you may be focusing on the wrong renovations (assuming thats not all structural, roofs, mechanical systems.)