LVP expansion gap, where to start the boards

LVP expansion gap, where to start the boards

Huntsville, AL · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 11 votes

First time installing LVP.  I am a little confused about the expansion gap required around the perimeter of the room.

All the rooms I'm installing in have a baseboard only.  If you put your pinky under the baseboard, you can get all the way to your 1st knuckle until you touch the wall.  I believe I'm supposed to put my 1/4" spacers flush with the baseboard.  But, I'm pretty sure if I went ahead and slid the edge of the LVP under the baseboard to start out, I'd STILL have hefty gap before it touches the wall.  Does that make sense?..  

I'm an engineer, and overly analytical.. I'm driving myself a little nuts trying to figure out where I need to start the planks.

0Reply
25 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Morris you are correct in that the expansion gap could be under the baseboard if there is nothing for the LVP to hit. If your baseboard is flush with the sub floor then you would want to leave the gap there. Essentially, make sure that the LVP isn't hitting any hard surfaces where it could buckle with temperature changes. 

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @John Warren Thanks John!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.