What's your baseline IRR to jump into a deal?

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 310 votes
5y

I see most syndications going it at around mid-teen IRRs. 

Personally I'd advise against relying on IRR though. It assumes that early payouts are reinvested at the IRR itself, which usually overestimates how much you actually make.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 310 votes
    5y

    I see most syndications going it at around mid-teen IRRs. 

    Personally I'd advise against relying on IRR though. It assumes that early payouts are reinvested at the IRR itself, which usually overestimates how much you actually make.

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Robert Blaine Depends on the class of property. Class A... 13-15%+ probably right now. Class B... 15-17%+. Class C 17%+. However, for SFR and small multis, I agree that the IRR is probably not the best number to use primary since you have no scale with the property. So I rely on COC, cashflow, ROE and DSCR to help me make my decisions.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Robert Blaine call me a good ole country boy but I don't focus on IRR or even COC. My criteria is simple. get $1,500+ in CF each month and have at least $100,000 in equity to add.

  • Investor · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 435 posts · 300 votes
    5y

    15% IRR +

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.