First REIA meeting

7 Replies

Hi BP! This newbie is going to their first REIA meeting tonight and I'm open to whatever advice you might have for me to help this evening as successful as possible. I plan introducing myself to others, telling them I'm a newbie and am trying to figure out what would be the best investment strategy for myself. I've got an attitude of openness and a desire to learn. Any advice would be appreciated.

FYI, the REIA meeting is with FIBI in Long Beach, CA. So if you're also a BP member who'll be there, please introduce yourself to me. I'd love to meet a fellow BP'er face-to-face!

Brian

Originally posted by @Brian Lo :

Hi BP! This newbie is going to their first REIA meeting tonight and I'm open to whatever advice you might have for me to help this evening as successful as possible. I plan introducing myself to others, telling them I'm a newbie and am trying to figure out what would be the best investment strategy for myself. I've got an attitude of openness and a desire to learn. Any advice would be appreciated.

FYI, the REIA meeting is with FIBI in Long Beach, CA. So if you're also a BP member who'll be there, please introduce yourself to me. I'd love to meet a fellow BP'er face-to-face!

Brian

Brian - that's a great Meetup - usually a good turn

Advise:  shake a lot of hands, let everybody know what you do

networking is another source of marketing

good luck at your first Meet Up

Michael Rae

Howdy Brian, hope it's as warm there today as it is here! As to your meeting, I'd say just be yourself. A lesson I'm finally learning is to stop selling myself as a newbie (which I still consider myself, and in many aspects actually am). That is absolutely not to say "fake it", because I don't believe that works in the long run nor do I think it's the right direction to take (in my opinion). However, I've had better luck with just a quick intro "Hi, I'm so-and-so, I'm working on XYZ" (or whatever variation), and then just talk shop. It's more fun, it helps you get more immersed in what you're actually doing, and it helps build confidence both with you and with whomever you're speaking. One REIA complaint I often see with newer folks is that folks who know each other get into cliques and that it's harder for the new attendees to actually network (that of course being the actual point).

Try out the REIA and don't worry about it. You're not pitching (ideally), so just be yourself and talk naturally with people. If you don't get much out of the meeting, throw your own get together. That's REALLY fun, can be as cheap on your end as you like (free is good), and really lets people get together and network without having to negotiate a crowd. Either way you go, just enjoy it, it's REI! Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

Account Closed Paul, thanks for the reference to the book. I just looked it over and the advice you give about the REIA meeting was really helpful! I'll do my best to try and get there early.

@Chad Clanton  you make a good point about not over emphasizing being a newbie and just talking shop. Thanks to you and @MICHAEL YBARRA  for the reassurance and the encouragement to just be relaxed about tonight. It helps to put my nerves more at ease. 

@Brian Lo  no worries, let us know how it goes!

I went to the REIA last night and it was a huge education. I realized that I am severely hampered by not knowing all of the real estate and business terminology because I was lost on a lot of concepts. I didn't know about: P & L, notes, equity, amortization, and more.

The people were nice but I still found it kind of daunting to step out of my comfort zone to introduce myself to people. I did manage to talk to about six different people and learn about their businesses and to get their cards.

I got the feeling that some of the attendees are regulars and will circulate about the various REIA groups because some mentioned how they recognized each other.

Account Closed I took you advice and got there early. That's when I was really able to talk and have good conversations with people. That was a great tip! Your guide to the agenda helped me be more comfortable with the evening because I knew what to expect. There was time at the beginning to network, the presentation (there was no pitching/sales), followed by more networking. I took a moment at the very end of the evening to introduce myself to the organizer. He was really nice and offered to talk to me over the phone sometime later. I pointed out to him that his personal email to invite me the REIA really encouraged me to take a chance and attend.

I did my best to just be relaxed and to learn as much as I could. I realize to get into this business requires a huge amount of knowledge. I'm going to have to keep reading and education to get into this business.

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your help! Please let me know if there's anything that I could do for you.

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide