Investing in Mississippi

14 Replies

Hello,

I just moved back home to MS, and I'm looking to meet RE investors in MS, but particularly in Hattiesburg. It's only about an hour away from my house and seems to be growing steadily. Currently I'm interested in single family and small multi family.

Anyone investing in Mississippi?

There are quite a few of us here, but what are you doing up at this hour on a Saturday?

Anyhow, I'm a JSU professor who invests mostly in south Jackson. And yes, I'm persuaded this is the best place in the country to invest at least if you are following the BRRRR strategy. I was just reading yesterday that while property values here are going up less than 2% a year sales are up nearly 10% because it is foolish not to buy here.

Originally posted by @Benton Bell :

Hello,

I just moved back home to MS, and I'm looking to meet RE investors in MS, but particularly in Hattiesburg. It's only about an hour away from my house and seems to be growing steadily. Currently I'm interested in single family and small multi family.

Anyone investing in Mississippi?

I just move to Hattiesburg Mississippi from NYC and I'm looking to get into real estate I know  lots  of carpentry work and I would love to work with someone and learn more about real estate 

Well I'm an early riser anyway, but this morning was the first time I've been able to go hunting since I moved back. 

I had thought about the Jackson area, but I'm more familiar with Hattiesburg. Both my brother and his wife are USM grads, I've got family and friends that live there, and I've seen some great looking deals surface on Zillow. 

I was talking to another guy about property values, Alcorn graduate actually ha, and he said things are starting to increase around Clinton and south. I guess because of the new tire plant?

MS just seems like an untapped RE dream to me. 

The tire plant is  not built yet so I don't think that is effecting south Jackson as yet, but Clinton has always been a favorite area to buy a home despite their foundation problems because of the excellent schools (by Mississippi standards.) I think you can pick up nearly as many good deals in Hattiesburg as Jackson. Always better to work in the area you know when you can. And yes, it is a RE dream. I'm a California girl who never, ever would have imagined owning eight houses. 

Good deal. Are there any REI clubs or groups that you know of? Who do you mainly rent to in south Jackson? Families, students, young professionals?

John, I'd be glad to work with you on RE in Hattiesburg, but I'm not quite setup to invest yet. Maybe in the future we can work together in Hattiesburg. 

@BentonHall Hey man its great to see a prospected investor on here from Hattiesburg! I grew up in Poplarville jst south of Hburg. I'm currently working in California and plan to relocate back to Hattiesburg in four years and will have the capital needed at that time to invest in either multiple sfh or a nice multi unit complex. I too watch the internet back in that area just incase I see anything that jumps out at me. I see a lot deals on the east side but not sure thats where I want to invest. Lets stay in touch and maybe we can work together in the future!

@Benton Bell Good stuff. I'm making an offer on my first down there in the Hattiesburg / Laurel area this week. I live out in Vegas but I'm from Soso, MS and my family is there and in Laurel MS. My sister knows every inch of that town and virtually everybody that lives there including the people that work at the courthouse / assessors office etc. The prices are a much lower barrier to entrance than here in Vegas. It's gonna be fun :-)

@Bryan Knight try Phil Gattuso. I've never worked with him but I spoke to him over the phone about future investments. Even though I told him I wasn't ready at the time to invest he spoke with me for about 1 hour. He seems very eager to help. Hope this helps!

http://southernpropertygroup.com

Hey everyone! I've been reading a lot of the forums but never posted a welcome post. I too am in Hattiesburg (been here about a year so fairly new to the area) and new to investing. I have a few contacts in Slidell, Louisiana (about an hour south) as I'm from that area. My current long hours of a day job are preventing me from doing much at the moment but I'm going to change that soon. I'm ready to invest now but haven't had the extra time to find and close a deal. If anyone wants to connect, please let me know.

@Ryan M. Hi Im from the area too. Currently living and working on the west coast but plan to move back to Hburg in about 4 yrs. Lets connect here and maybe we can work together in the future!

Hi all, checking in from down on the Coast.  I spent my college years in Hburg, still have some friends up there.  It has grown tremendously since I left in '06!  My parents still have a rental just east of campus that has been great for them, same tenants for almost 10 years now!

I'm also a newbie investor trying to find my first BRRRR in Gulfport, Biloxi, Long Beach areas.

There is talk of starting a REIA down here in Gulfport in the first part of the new year. I'll try to post it everywhere when the dates are set.