plumbing fixtures best place to buy

11 Replies

Are the Plumbing Supply places better and/or cheaper than Lowes/Home Depot where are the best places to get your tubs, faucets, etc

Home Depot and Lowe's are decent.

It depends on if you are talking high end materials for flips or low end for holding rentals.

The plumbing supply stores will have one off type items the chain stores do not carry. It depends on your volume. There were some flippers that say they get one account and then buy together to get a bigger discount.

Really plumbing parts are pretty cheap it's the labor where you will realize the most savings by finding a plumber that exchanges volume for a cheap labor price by catering to investors.

The plumbing supply place that I go to charges about half what HD charges for fittings, P-traps, ball valves, etc. They also claim that the Delta faucets they sell are better quality than HD sells because HD wants to keep the price down. Supposedly Delta puts more plastic in the fixtures that they sell to HD. I have heard that appliance companies will make lower quality items for big box stores as well. I'm not sure if it's true, but after watching a documentary on CNBC about Walmart, it seems plausible. Walmart knows more about the costs that go into a product than the actual manufacturer and will squeeze out as much profit from the supplier as they can to get the costs down.

This is for a mid priced flip (Atlanta) was thinking of Ferguson. Anyone use them?

Amazon.com and Build.com are my go-to places for plumbing fixtures. They are about 50% of what you pay at HD or Lowes. And I'm sure local plumbing supply houses are better than HD and Lowes as well.

Plumbing fixtures make up less than 3 percent of a typical rehab. I do not give a lot of thought on where to buy them, I buy them at HD and Lows because they are near by and have a good selection. I am not going to drive across town to save $30

Agree, however I was talking tubs, vanities, etc, we are thinking of using a free standing tub for the first time.

@J Scott Amazon had good prices, not a large selection and build.com had both. Thanks

Originally posted by John Rooster:
Plumbing fixtures make up less than 3 percent of a typical rehab. I do not give a lot of thought on where to buy them, I buy them at HD and Lows because they are near by and have a good selection. I am not going to drive across town to save $30

It really depends on the scope of the rehab. On a typical rehab, I replace all tubs/showers, toilets, sinks, faucets, shower hardware, garbage disposal, etc.

My savings by going with the supply houses and Amazon.com is typical several hundred dollars, PLUS for less money, I'm getting higher end finishes.

For what it's worth, I used to get everything at Home Depot because it was easy. What I eventually found is that it's almost as easy to go with other suppliers (and even EASIER if you let your subs handle buying finishes to your specifications), AND you get better finishes.

That said, to each his own...

Originally posted by Rob K:
The plumbing supply place that I go to charges about half what HD charges for fittings, P-traps, ball valves, etc. They also claim that the Delta faucets they sell are better quality than HD sells because HD wants to keep the price down. Supposedly Delta puts more plastic in the fixtures that they sell to HD. I have heard that appliance companies will make lower quality items for big box stores as well. I'm not sure if it's true, but after watching a documentary on CNBC about Walmart, it seems plausible. Walmart knows more about the costs that go into a product than the actual manufacturer and will squeeze out as much profit from the supplier as they can to get the costs down.

Same holds true for lawnmowers and automobile tires, from what I've been told...

We use them for most of our Appliances and have them install them too. Ferguson has several different price groups depending on your volume so just ask if your getting the best deal possible.

Also check out Randall Lowe Plumbing, their INSTALLED pricing is usually BETTER than buying from Ferguson AND you don't have to worry about getting material to jobsite, theft, and they warranty everything so if a chipped tub shows up at your jobsite it's on them to get it right.

Another HUGE plus to having your plumber supply and warranty the material is say you buy a shower valve over the internet and 6 months after your sell the place it leaks and floods the entire house, think your plumber will accept fault or blame it on the crap shower valve?

PM me and I'll give you our rehab sales guy's contact info at Randall Lowe.

@Kevin Polite , if you haven't already, check out Northside Material Brokers when you're down in that area...

@todd whiddon @ben r

Thanks for the suggestions will defonitely check out. Also looking at PDI

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here