Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brad Williams
  • Real Estate Attorney
  • Ridgeland, MS
Votes |
Lessons Learned

Brad Williams
  • Real Estate Attorney
  • Ridgeland, MS
Posted Mar 1 2014, 15:47

Even though I have been doing this a few years, I still consider myself a newbie. I just had a deal fall through and learned a new lesson. Well not a new lesson but, was reminded of a previous lesson and why I go so far with inspections.

We are in a area that very bad soil, so many, if not most, properties need foundation work which can range from minor to very expensive. In this recent deal, I had an opportunity on a pocket listing from a realtor I have worked with many times. I put in a contract and the numbers were very good, at least for our market. The home had foundation issues but, I was assured by the homeowner and the realtor that it was not an issue because the house had a lifetime warranty on the foundation.

So, I got a home inspection from a good home inspector and fellow BP member. The inspection was good overall -- some issues but, he also did some measurements of the foundation for me and confirmed the issues that I already knew. So, as part of the due diligence, I called the nationally advertised foundation repair company that had the warranty on the property. First, they were a pain to deal with and refused to set an appointment for me and refused to even talk to me about the foundation. Through the seller's realtor, they did come out after the homeowner called and set it up. The ultimate result was that the foundation company did not think any of the reparis needed were related to the "lifetime warranty" and quoted $28,000 in additional work needed. Keep in mind that seller and seller's realtor said the foundation was not an issue and that it would be covered by the warranty, they provided the warranty and all the necessary documents to confirm there assertions. BTW, I believe that they genuinely believed it to be true so, I don't blame them. Now if I had owned the property, I would argue and possibly sue the foundation company over the denial of warranty claim but, I don't own it and am not looking for that sort of issue on a flip.

So, that long story can be summed up with an important lesson -- make sure you not only do inspections but, follow through on the due diligence part of the deal before closing and include contingencies in your deals so you can walk away. Avoid problems that are going to delay your investment and, even worse, eat up your profits. I ultimately walked away from the deal after spending some of the best money ever on proper inspections. But, I wanted to share this story and lesson.

I would love to hear other investors stories and lessons learned.

Loading replies...