Deal Analysis Calculator – What Am I Missing?

Deal Analysis Calculator – What Am I Missing?

Realtor · Harford County, MD · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 33 votes

I’ve put together a deal analysis calculator using a spreadsheet to quickly break down real estate deals and ensure profitability. Here’s what it includes:

📌 Purchase & Rehab Costs:

  • Asking Price

  • Estimated Rehab Costs

  • Profit Goal

  • After Repair Value (ARV)

📌 Holding Costs (6 months):

  • Property Taxes

  • Insurance Costs

  • Utilities & Maintenance

  • Loan Interest

  • Lending Fees

  • Total Holding Costs

📌 Closing & Transfer Costs:

  • Total Transfer Taxes

  • Title Insurance ($5.50 per $1,000)

  • Settlement Fees

  • Total Title & Closing Fees

📌 Selling Costs:

  • Agent Commission (5%)

  • Seller’s Share of Taxes (50/50)

  • Total Selling Costs

📌 Final Numbers:

  • Total Costs (Excluding Profit)

  • Maximum Offer Price

I’d love your feedback! What do you think? Am I missing any key expenses or considerations that could make this tool even better? Let’s refine it together!

0Reply
55 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    1y

    Is this for a flip, BRRRR, buy hold?

    what is rent, loan interest rate, ROI?

    This is a list, I would do a spreadsheet including all this, creating new value and ROI. Debt coverage, GRM, which I prefer to use because it is easy to calculate or CAP rate.

    It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  

    Property NameFrog Town LLC
    Unit Description# of UnitsSquare FeetStablizedYear 2Year 3
    323 N Jefferson 3BR 2BA11300$1,255$1,350$1,400
    325 N Jefferson 1,2 duplex 2BR 2BA each 21600$1,745$1,755$1,800
    329 N Jefferson 2BR 1BA1750$915$950$1,050
    336 338 N Washington 2BR 2BA, 5BR 2BA21800$1,895$1,950$2,000
    348 N Washington - 4BR 2BA11350$1,395$1,395$1,450
    New build Description# of UnitsSquare FeetStablizedYear 2Year 3
    331 N Jefferson 1500 sqft 3BR 2.5 BA House11500$1,500$1,550$1,600.00
    Wash Rown Houses corner 4BR 3.5 BA - 1800 SQFT23600$3,700$3,800$3,900.00
    Wash Row Houses 3BR 4.5 BA - 1200 SQFT22400$3,100$3,200$3,300.00
    Wash Center 4BR 3BA - 1400 SQFT11400$1,700$1,750$1,800.00
    Washington duplex 5BR 4BA - 1600 SQFT 23500$2,000$2,100$2,200.00
    Jefferson Row houses 3BR 3.5BA - 1300 SQFT67800$9,600$10,200$10,800.00
    Totals2127000$28,805$30,000$31,300
    Income SummaryStablizedYear 2Year 3
    Gross Annual Income$345,660$360,000$375,600
    Less % Vacancy2.00%2.00%2.00%
    Less $ Vacancy$6,913$7,200$7,512
    Effective Rental Income$338,747$352,800$368,088
    Effective Gross Income (EGI)$338,747$352,800$368,088
    Expense SummaryPer UnitStablizedYear 2Year 3
    Real Estate Taxes7.22%$1,165$24,455$24,944$25,443
    Insurance0.96%$155$3,250$3,315$3,381
    Maintenance/Repairs1.18%$190$4,000$4,080$4,162
    Property Management10.00%$1,646$34,566$36,000$37,560
    Advertising0.15%$24$500$510$520
    Trash0.03%$5$100$102$104
    Water/Sewer0.03%$5$100$102$104
    Gas/Electric0.03%$5$100$102$104
    Professional Services0.15%$35$500$510$520
    Annual % Expense Increase2.00%
    Total Expenses$67,571$69,665$71,898
    19.95%19.75%19.53%
    Proposed Financing Terms and Loan
    Purchase Price$1,400,000
    Improvements$1,750,000
    Purchase Price plus improvements$3,150,000
    Property Tax on New Value$24,455
    Down Payment$787,500
    Loan Amount$2,362,500
    Loan to Value Ratio75%
    Amortization25Years
    Interest Rate4.50%
    Monthly Payment-$13,132Pricipal and Interest
    EscrowsProperty Tax and Insurance
    Term25 year
    Loan FeeOne percent plus costs
    SummaryStablizedYear 2Year 3
    Net Operating Income (NOI)$271,176$283,135$296,190
    Debt Service-$157,579-$157,579-$157,579
    Before Tax Cash Flow (annual)$113,597$125,556$138,611
    Gross Rent Multiplier9.2998.9298.558
    Cap Rate8.61%8.99%9.40%
    Cash on Cash Return14.43%15.94%17.60%
    Price Per unit$150,000$150,000$150,000
    Stablized Cap Rate8%7.50%7.50%
    New Value$3,615,677$3,775,132$3,949,194
    Sale Cost2%-$78,984
    Cash Flow
    Down-$787,500
    Year 1$113,597
    Year 2$125,556
    Year 3$138,611
    Sale Net Proceeds$1,507,710.41
    IRR28.3%
  • Realtor · Harford County, MD · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 33 votes
    1y

    Hey Matthew,

    Appreciate the detailed breakdown—definitely a strong framework for assessing deals. To answer your question, my calculator is mainly designed for flips, though it could be adjusted for BRRRR or buy-and-hold with additional inputs for rental income, loan terms, and long-term returns.

    I like your point about including rent, loan interest, and ROI—those would be key for investors looking beyond a simple max-offer analysis. I'll consider adding GRM and CAP rate as well, since those give a clearer picture of long-term value.

    Curious—what’s your go-to method for estimating future appreciation or rent growth? Do you prefer historical data, market trends, or a mix of both?

    Looking forward to your thoughts!

    • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Alyson Anderson:

      Hey Matthew,

      Appreciate the detailed breakdown—definitely a strong framework for assessing deals. To answer your question, my calculator is mainly designed for flips, though it could be adjusted for BRRRR or buy-and-hold with additional inputs for rental income, loan terms, and long-term returns.

      I like your point about including rent, loan interest, and ROI—those would be key for investors looking beyond a simple max-offer analysis. I'll consider adding GRM and CAP rate as well, since those give a clearer picture of long-term value.

      Curious—what’s your go-to method for estimating future appreciation or rent growth? Do you prefer historical data, market trends, or a mix of both?

      Looking forward to your thoughts!


      I think the safest way for rent to go up is 3%, and the same goes for value once the asset is stable. Value goes up slightly more, closer to 5%. It is better, but if the numbers work at 3%, then whatever else happens is gravy. If you know the average GRM in your area, it is very easy to estimate the value once the property is rented.

      Example: This is the last thing I bought and will do a long-term hold. I bought a hotel with 22 rooms,10 RV spots, and two cottages in a Idhao, lake/ski town, for 1.5M. This was a very good deal; I was surprised they took my offer. $300K down, $300K improvements. We are putting in kitchens in the rooms and fixing a drain field issue and a few pumps. It is all easy, non-structural stuff.  Then it will be work force housing.   Rent 24@$1000 and 10 RV $600 = $30K.   

      I put the GRM at 150 x $30K = 4.5M new value. It will take 4 to 6 months to stabilize. It would sell fast if I listed it at 4.5M and might fetch over 5M if rates go down. It is very simple easy way to determine value. If I ran it like a hotel I would make quite a bit more money I just don't have time to deal with it.

  • Realtor · Harford County, MD · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 33 votes
    1y

    Hey Matthew,

    Appreciate the breakdown—love seeing the way you approach deals! My spreadsheet is mainly built for flips, but now you’ve got me thinking... maybe I should expand it to include BRRRRs and buy-and-holds too. 🤔

    Right now, my focus is on making sure I’m accounting for all costs upfront—so no surprises later. I definitely include loan interest, but I don't have GRM or CAP rate in there yet. Would you say those are must-haves even for flips? Or more for rentals?

    Your numbers are solid, by the way. That IRR at 28.3%—nice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.