Douglasville Duplex at $290k - Do these numbers work for you?

Douglasville Duplex at $290k - Do these numbers work for you?

Real Estate Agent · West Georgia · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hey everyone,

I’m a local investor-agent based here in Villa Rica/Douglasville. I was analyzing a small multifamily listing that just popped up on Strickland St ($290k list price) and wanted to share the breakdown to see what you guys think of the current West GA market.

The Setup:

  • Purchase Price: $290,000
  • Asset: Duplex (2 Units)
  • Strategy: Buy & Hold / House Hack

The Math (Conservative Estimates):

  • Mortgage (P&I @ ~6.5%): ~$1,830/mo
  • Taxes/Ins/Vacancy (Est): ~$450/mo
  • Total Est. Payment: ~$2,280/mo

The Income Question: Rents in this specific pocket seem to hover around $1,100 - $1,200/door.

  • Scenario A (Pure Investor): Fully rented @ $2,400 = Thin Cash Flow (~$120/mo)
  • Scenario B (House Hack): Live in one side, rent the other = You live for ~$1,100/mo

My Question for the Local Pros: Are you seeing rents in this part of Douglasville support a $300k price tag yet, or are you waiting for prices to soften? To me, this looks like a break-even play for appreciation, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Tyrome Roberts Think Home, Think Tyrome Investor-Agent | West GA Market Expert

0Reply
141 views

Most Popular Reply

Taylor DaschBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Temple, TX · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 700 votes
7mo

How much down did you use? If this is a low / no money down house hack, 100% I would do it, your leveraging the banks money even if its minimal, if the location is decent and rent numbers are solid I would do it, the numbers wouldnt work for a conventional investor if you are using 20% down as they would likely have PM involved and when you consider vacancy / capx your in the negative. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Taylor DaschBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Temple, TX · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 700 votes
    7mo

    How much down did you use? If this is a low / no money down house hack, 100% I would do it, your leveraging the banks money even if its minimal, if the location is decent and rent numbers are solid I would do it, the numbers wouldnt work for a conventional investor if you are using 20% down as they would likely have PM involved and when you consider vacancy / capx your in the negative. 

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Your math looks solid - that $120/mo is pretty tight. I'd bump up reserves to maybe $150/mo for capex on a duplex that age. House hack angle definitely makes more sense here. You planning to hold for appreciation or need the cash flow sooner?

  • Real Estate Agent · West Georgia · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7mo

    Spot on analysis.

    To answer your question: I ran this as a 3.5% down FHA House Hack.

    You are 100% right—if you run this as a traditional investor (20-25% down) with Property Management fees, it definitely bleeds money. Even as a House Hack, my personal hesitation was CapEx (one HVAC repair wipes out 2 years of that thin cash flow).

    But that is exactly why I posted it: Even though it didn't fit my specific Buy Box, I figured the low entry point (~$10k down) might work perfectly for a first-time House Hacker who is banking on Douglasville appreciation rather than immediate cash flow.

    I wanted to put it out there in case it fits someone else's strategy better than mine!

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    For a house hack it's not bad. It doesn't scream like a killer deal with the rent compared to the purchase price. How does it compare to other duplexes? 

  • Real Estate Agent · West Georgia · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7mo

    You hit the nail on the head, Caleb. The Rent-to-Price ratio is exactly why I passed on it personally.

    To answer your question on comps: This deal is actually pretty standard for what we are seeing in Douglasville right now.

    • Inventory: Extremely tight for small multifamily.
    • Pricing: Anything 'turnkey' is listing at $285k+, but rents are stuck at that ~$1,200/door mark.
    • The Alternative: You can find them for $200k-$225k, but they usually need $60k in rehab and have tenant issues.

    So compared to the market? It's 'priced correctly' for the current listings, but 'priced poorly' for immediate cash flow. It’s a pure appreciation play until rates drop or rents bump up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.