Deal Calculator - Multi Family

Deal Calculator - Multi Family

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hey peeps. Does anyone have an easy to use deal calculator/analyzer that can run in Google Sheets? Great to have one that calculates key metrics/ratios (NOI, DSCR, etc).

If you have a good version in Excel, please forward as well. Sometimes they can be convereted to Google Sheets.

Thanks!

0Reply
152 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2026 · 97 posts · 57 votes
7mo

Hey Brett, good question. For multi-family deal analysis there are a few solid options depending on what you need.

BP actually has built-in rental property calculators that handle NOI, cash-on-cash, and some DSCR scenarios. Worth checking those out first since you're already on the platform.

For Google Sheets specifically, a lot of investors build their own or grab templates from the BP FilePlace. The advantage is you can customize formulas for your specific buy box and assumptions. I started with a basic template and added tabs for different unit counts over time.

On the tech tool side, DealCheck is popular for quick multi-family screens. I've also been using PropLab lately which auto-pulls comps and rent estimates, then spits out a baseline report in about 60 seconds. Helpful when you're running a lot of properties and want a fast first pass before going deeper.

For MF specifically, the key metrics you mentioned (NOI and DSCR) are definitely the big ones. I'd also track expense ratio, cap rate, and cash-on-cash at different down payment scenarios. That last one helps you see how leverage affects returns.

Are you looking at smaller multi (2-4 units) or larger commercial stuff? That changes the tool recommendations a bit.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2026 · 97 posts · 57 votes
    7mo

    Hey Brett, good question. For multi-family deal analysis there are a few solid options depending on what you need.

    BP actually has built-in rental property calculators that handle NOI, cash-on-cash, and some DSCR scenarios. Worth checking those out first since you're already on the platform.

    For Google Sheets specifically, a lot of investors build their own or grab templates from the BP FilePlace. The advantage is you can customize formulas for your specific buy box and assumptions. I started with a basic template and added tabs for different unit counts over time.

    On the tech tool side, DealCheck is popular for quick multi-family screens. I've also been using PropLab lately which auto-pulls comps and rent estimates, then spits out a baseline report in about 60 seconds. Helpful when you're running a lot of properties and want a fast first pass before going deeper.

    For MF specifically, the key metrics you mentioned (NOI and DSCR) are definitely the big ones. I'd also track expense ratio, cap rate, and cash-on-cash at different down payment scenarios. That last one helps you see how leverage affects returns.

    Are you looking at smaller multi (2-4 units) or larger commercial stuff? That changes the tool recommendations a bit.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    Hey Alex. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. 20-50 units is my target range. I'll check out your recommendations, including FirePlace (new to me). Prefer to leverage what's already created vs build if possible. Thanks again.

  • Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    I have software that does this as well - its not excel but there are a ton of benefits over excel, especially if you want to have multiple scenarios of the same asset, aggregate multiple assets into a fund, calculate complex equity waterfalls, integrate AI to automate data entry or write python scripts to do analysis (or have ChatGPT write it for you). 

    If you end up purchasing the property, you can also use it for asset management by importing cash flows, and can compare actuals to budget monthly. 

  • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 17 votes
    7mo

     Hi there! I have a really good one in Google sheet! DM and I'll send it to you!

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    Hey! For smaller buildings (under 10), I use this platform I found called Kash-Flo.com. Maybe check it out to see if that's helpful!

  • Rental Property Investor · North East · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    7mo

    Hey Brett, this doesn't run in excel but I built this tool for deal analysis:

    https://www.getvantric.com/tools/rental-calculator

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.