Advice on Rebuilding Through Section 8 After Losing Money Flipping

Advice on Rebuilding Through Section 8 After Losing Money Flipping

Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 41 votes

I’d love to get some perspective from investors who focus on Section 8 / voucher rentals.

I’ve been investing in real estate for several years. I bought my first house in 2018 in the Elgin, IL area (ZIP 60123) and was actually a Section 8 landlord in 2021–2022. That tenant was great and left the property in excellent condition.

However, I’ve also experienced the other side of landlording. After that I had a non-Section 8 tenant who I eventually had to evict, and the property was left trashed. So I’m not new to the realities of landlording or tenant risk.

From 2024–2026 I focused more on fix-and-flip investing and unfortunately lost about $38K across deals. It was a huge learning experience but also a reminder that flips can be volatile.

Because of that, I’m looking to shift toward something steadier and more cashflow-focused or would MTR be better??

My goal now is to build rental doors over time, ideally using Section 8 or voucher tenants, while maintaining the option to sell in 1–2 years if the market improves.

I’ll likely have about $50K available after finishing my current flip, but I’m only comfortable deploying about $20K into the next investment.

Questions for experienced Section 8 investors:

  1. 1. Is it realistic to acquire Section 8 rentals with little money down (10% or less) using conventional or DSCR financing?
  2. 2. Has anyone successfully purchased Section 8 properties under an LLC from the start, or did you buy personally and transfer later?
  3. 3.  For those investing in the Midwest, what markets are currently producing the best rent-to-price ratios for voucher rentals?
  4. 4.  Would you recommend staying local when starting (for me that would be Elgin/Aurora IL) or looking at out-of-state markets like Indiana?
  5. 5.  How do you screen Section 8 tenants beyond the standard housing authority requirements?
  6. 6.  Are there specific property types (3 bed vs 4 bed, single family vs duplex) that tend to perform best with voucher tenants?
  7. 7.  For those doing this long term, do you primarily hold indefinitely for cashflow or do you cycle properties and sell after appreciation?

I’m not trying to get rich quick with this strategy. My focus now is steady cashflow, rebuilding capital, and slowly increasing doors over time.

Would really appreciate hearing from anyone successfully running Section 8 rentals in today’s market.

3Reply
361 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6mo
Quote from @Kay Sam:

I’d love to get some perspective from investors who focus on Section 8 / voucher rentals.

I’ve been investing in real estate for several years. I bought my first house in 2018 in the Elgin, IL area (ZIP 60123) and was actually a Section 8 landlord in 2021–2022. That tenant was great and left the property in excellent condition.

However, I’ve also experienced the other side of landlording. After that I had a non-Section 8 tenant who I eventually had to evict, and the property was left trashed. So I’m not new to the realities of landlording or tenant risk.

From 2024–2026 I focused more on fix-and-flip investing and unfortunately lost about $38K across deals. It was a huge learning experience but also a reminder that flips can be volatile.

Because of that, I’m looking to shift toward something steadier and more cashflow-focused or would MTR be better??

My goal now is to build rental doors over time, ideally using Section 8 or voucher tenants, while maintaining the option to sell in 1–2 years if the market improves.

I’ll likely have about $50K available after finishing my current flip, but I’m only comfortable deploying about $20K into the next investment.

Questions for experienced Section 8 investors:

  1. 1. Is it realistic to acquire Section 8 rentals with little money down (10% or less) using conventional or DSCR financing?
  2. 2. Has anyone successfully purchased Section 8 properties under an LLC from the start, or did you buy personally and transfer later?
  3. 3.  For those investing in the Midwest, what markets are currently producing the best rent-to-price ratios for voucher rentals?
  4. 4.  Would you recommend staying local when starting (for me that would be Elgin/Aurora IL) or looking at out-of-state markets like Indiana?
  5. 5.  How do you screen Section 8 tenants beyond the standard housing authority requirements?
  6. 6.  Are there specific property types (3 bed vs 4 bed, single family vs duplex) that tend to perform best with voucher tenants?
  7. 7.  For those doing this long term, do you primarily hold indefinitely for cashflow or do you cycle properties and sell after appreciation?

I’m not trying to get rich quick with this strategy. My focus now is steady cashflow, rebuilding capital, and slowly increasing doors over time.

Would really appreciate hearing from anyone successfully running Section 8 rentals in today’s market.


 WHAT is everyone "drinking" that leads them to thinking S8 will solve all their problems?

Please click on this link and then the images, for a reality check!

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=e9a141ab1f6f5f12&s...

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 428 posts · 205 votes
    6mo

    Hey Kay - I'm not a section 8 investor, but I work with plenty of them around the country. To answer some of your questions: 

    1) You'll typically need 20% down for a non-owner occupied investment property, sometimes can get as low as 15% but the rates are generally worse. If you can get the seller to finance a second lien, you might be able to get to 10-15% down. Or, with fix & flip/bridge rehab financing you could get in with even less down. I've had plenty of investors put as little as 5-10% down recently and experienced investors can sometimes get up to 100% financing on light to moderate rehab projects if the numbers otherwise make sense. 

    2) With DSCR and fix and flip/rehab financing, you can put the properties in an LLC from the start and don't have to pay to transfer the deed later

    3) Not necessarily for voucher tenants, but I'm seeing a lot of investors have success in Milwaukee, some Ohio markets, several Alabama markets like Birmingham, certain parts of Maryland, Memphis, etc. 

    4) I started local on my first investment property, but I know others who have figured out how to make it work investing long distance by setting up the right "team"

    I'll let others answer your other questions. Hope that helps! 

    • Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 41 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Kyle Deutschmann:

      Hey Kay - I'm not a section 8 investor, but I work with plenty of them around the country. To answer some of your questions: 

      1) You'll typically need 20% down for a non-owner occupied investment property, sometimes can get as low as 15% but the rates are generally worse. If you can get the seller to finance a second lien, you might be able to get to 10-15% down. Or, with fix & flip/bridge rehab financing you could get in with even less down. I've had plenty of investors put as little as 5-10% down recently and experienced investors can sometimes get up to 100% financing on light to moderate rehab projects if the numbers otherwise make sense. 

      2) With DSCR and fix and flip/rehab financing, you can put the properties in an LLC from the start and don't have to pay to transfer the deed later

      3) Not necessarily for voucher tenants, but I'm seeing a lot of investors have success in Milwaukee, some Ohio markets, several Alabama markets like Birmingham, certain parts of Maryland, Memphis, etc. 

      4) I started local on my first investment property, but I know others who have figured out how to make it work investing long distance by setting up the right "team"

      I'll let others answer your other questions. Hope that helps! 

       @Kyle Deutschmann

      I appreciate your reply. Right now I am trying to see what's going to be the next best step. I am leaning towards BRRRR as the next step vs doing another fix & flip. I'd love to move into a space where I can leverage lender's money & capital stack. If I am able to put down 5% or so and have lenders cover 95% of the purchase and cover 100% of the rehab; that's what I need moving forward. The issue I foresee is sourcing DEALS where the numbers make sense. I have contacts w/ wholesalers; however I've found that the deals really aren't DEALS...there's not enough margin. If you know folks that can source good deals with margin, I am open to other areas outside of TX and FL.

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    6mo

    Hi @Kay Sam! It sounds like you’ve already gained a lot of real experience, both good and bad. Which honestly puts you ahead of many investors. Moving from flipping back toward steady cash flow is a common shift after seeing how volatile rehab projects can be.

    With $20K to deploy, it’s going to be difficult to buy locally in many Illinois markets unless you find a very small deal or partner with someone. That’s why many investors looking for stronger rent-to-price ratios explore parts of the Midwest and Southeast. Markets like Memphis, for example, still offer entry prices where long-term rentals, including voucher tenants, can make sense if the numbers are underwritten conservatively.

    For Section 8 specifically, the property fundamentals matter more than the voucher itself. Three-bedroom single-family homes tend to perform well because they match typical voucher demand and give you a wider tenant pool. Screening is still critical. Income stability, rental history, and communication matter just as much as with any other tenant.

    As for structure, many investors buy personally first (especially with conventional financing) and transition to an LLC later once they begin scaling. The bigger focus early on should be strong cash flow, good neighborhoods, and a reliable property management process.

    Your goal of steady cash flow and rebuilding capital is the right mindset. A disciplined approach, conservative numbers, solid tenant screening, and buying in markets where the math works, tends to outperform trying to force deals in higher-priced areas.

    Happy to connect if ever Memphis crosses your radar!

    • Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 41 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @James Wachob:

      Hi @Kay Sam! It sounds like you’ve already gained a lot of real experience, both good and bad. Which honestly puts you ahead of many investors. Moving from flipping back toward steady cash flow is a common shift after seeing how volatile rehab projects can be.

      With $20K to deploy, it’s going to be difficult to buy locally in many Illinois markets unless you find a very small deal or partner with someone. That’s why many investors looking for stronger rent-to-price ratios explore parts of the Midwest and Southeast. Markets like Memphis, for example, still offer entry prices where long-term rentals, including voucher tenants, can make sense if the numbers are underwritten conservatively.

      For Section 8 specifically, the property fundamentals matter more than the voucher itself. Three-bedroom single-family homes tend to perform well because they match typical voucher demand and give you a wider tenant pool. Screening is still critical. Income stability, rental history, and communication matter just as much as with any other tenant.

      As for structure, many investors buy personally first (especially with conventional financing) and transition to an LLC later once they begin scaling. The bigger focus early on should be strong cash flow, good neighborhoods, and a reliable property management process.

      Your goal of steady cash flow and rebuilding capital is the right mindset. A disciplined approach, conservative numbers, solid tenant screening, and buying in markets where the math works, tends to outperform trying to force deals in higher-priced areas.

      Happy to connect if ever Memphis crosses your radar!

      @James WachobThanks for the thoughtful reply, I appreciate it.

      I agree with you that the experience, both good and bad, has been valuable. Losing money on flips definitely pushed me to rethink my strategy and focus more on stability and long-term cash flow rather than just chasing ARV spreads. I’ve definitely been looking at Midwest markets outside of Illinois as well because the rent-to-price ratios can make a lot more sense. My hesitation has mostly been around building another team. I have a really strong realtor and GC team in Texas that I trust, and a decent team in Florida (although my GC there wasn’t amazing), so the idea of starting over with a new market and rebuilding that infrastructure again gives me pause. Section 8 is something I’m seriously considering again since I’ve been a landlord in the program before and actually had a great tenant experience. That said, I may end up pushing that out a bit and focusing on a BRRRR strategy first to rebuild capital and then hold for cash flow. I’m still figuring out whether BRRRR and Section 8 can work together effectively. In theory it seems like they could if the rents support the refinance, but I’d be curious if you or others here have done BRRRR deals specifically with voucher tenants. Appreciate the insight on Memphis as well. I’ve seen it come up quite a bit when people talk about strong cash-flow markets.
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Kay Sam:

    I’d love to get some perspective from investors who focus on Section 8 / voucher rentals.

    I’ve been investing in real estate for several years. I bought my first house in 2018 in the Elgin, IL area (ZIP 60123) and was actually a Section 8 landlord in 2021–2022. That tenant was great and left the property in excellent condition.

    However, I’ve also experienced the other side of landlording. After that I had a non-Section 8 tenant who I eventually had to evict, and the property was left trashed. So I’m not new to the realities of landlording or tenant risk.

    From 2024–2026 I focused more on fix-and-flip investing and unfortunately lost about $38K across deals. It was a huge learning experience but also a reminder that flips can be volatile.

    Because of that, I’m looking to shift toward something steadier and more cashflow-focused or would MTR be better??

    My goal now is to build rental doors over time, ideally using Section 8 or voucher tenants, while maintaining the option to sell in 1–2 years if the market improves.

    I’ll likely have about $50K available after finishing my current flip, but I’m only comfortable deploying about $20K into the next investment.

    Questions for experienced Section 8 investors:

    1. 1. Is it realistic to acquire Section 8 rentals with little money down (10% or less) using conventional or DSCR financing?
    2. 2. Has anyone successfully purchased Section 8 properties under an LLC from the start, or did you buy personally and transfer later?
    3. 3.  For those investing in the Midwest, what markets are currently producing the best rent-to-price ratios for voucher rentals?
    4. 4.  Would you recommend staying local when starting (for me that would be Elgin/Aurora IL) or looking at out-of-state markets like Indiana?
    5. 5.  How do you screen Section 8 tenants beyond the standard housing authority requirements?
    6. 6.  Are there specific property types (3 bed vs 4 bed, single family vs duplex) that tend to perform best with voucher tenants?
    7. 7.  For those doing this long term, do you primarily hold indefinitely for cashflow or do you cycle properties and sell after appreciation?

    I’m not trying to get rich quick with this strategy. My focus now is steady cashflow, rebuilding capital, and slowly increasing doors over time.

    Would really appreciate hearing from anyone successfully running Section 8 rentals in today’s market.


     WHAT is everyone "drinking" that leads them to thinking S8 will solve all their problems?

    Please click on this link and then the images, for a reality check!

    https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=e9a141ab1f6f5f12&s...

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 84 votes
    6mo

    @Kay Sam, I'm doing exactly what you're describing. 10 doors in Birmingham AL, all Section 8, all with third party property managers. I live in South Carolina so this is 100% out of state for me. Let me hit your questions from real experience.

    On financing: Yes, DSCR is realistic and it's what I use. Most DSCR lenders will do 20% to 25% down on investment properties, and since the voucher portion of rent is guaranteed by the housing authority, lenders actually like Section 8 income. With $20K you're tight for a single purchase, but if you're doing BRRR (buy, rehab, rent, refinance) you can stretch that further. I've purchased properties in the $40K to $80K range in Birmingham, put $20K to $35K into rehab, and then refinanced out at 75% LTV once the ARV comes in at $110K to $130K. That recycling of capital is how you scale without needing $50K per door.

    On LLC vs personal: I bought personally first, then transferred into LLCs after refinancing. Most conventional lenders won't lend to an LLC directly, but DSCR lenders will. If you're starting with DSCR from day one, you can close in the LLC. Just make sure y@oKuary oSpaemr,a tIi'nmg daogirnege meexnatc tilsy cwlheaatn yaonud' ryeo udre slcernidbeirn gi.s 1c0o mdfooorrtsa bilne Bwiirtmhi nigth.a

    m

     OAnL ,m aarlkle tSse:c tBiiornm i8n,g haalml  hwaist hb etehni redx cpealrlteyn tp rfoopre rrteyn tm atnoa gperrisc.e  Ir altiivoes  ionn  SSoeuctthi oCna r8o.l iFnMaR  s(oF atihri sM airsk e1t0 0R%e notu)t  foofr  sat a3tBeR  fhoerr em es.u pLpeotr tmse  shoilti dy ocuars hq ufelsotwi,o nasn df rpoumr crheaasle  epxrpiecreise nacree. 

    s

    tOinl lf ilnoawn ceinnogu:g hY etsh,a tD StChRe  imsa trhe awloirsktsi.c  Jaanmde si tm'esn twihoante dI  Muesmep.h iMso,s tw hDiScChR  ilse nadneortsh ewri lslt rdoon g2 0m%a rtkoe t2.5 %I 'ddo wanl soon  lionovke sattm eInntd iparnoappeorltiise,s ,p aarntds  soifn cOeh itoh e( Cvloeuvcehlearn dp,o rCtoilounm boufs  rseunbtu ribss )g,u aarnadn tseoemde  bayr etahse  ohfo uGseionrgg iaau.t hTohrei tkye,y  lmeentdreircs  iasc tFuMaRl lrye llaitkiev eS etcot ipounr c8h aisnec opmrei.c eW.i tIhf  $F2M0RK  fyooru 'ar e3 BtRi gihst  $f1o,r1 0a0  sainndg lyeo up ucracnh absuey,  abnudt  riefh aybo ua' rper odpoeirntgy  BfRoRrR  $(8b0uKy ,a lrle hianb,,  trheen tn,u mrbeefrisn agnecte )v eyroyu  actatnr ascttrievtec.h

    tOhna tp rfoupretrhteyr .t yIp'ev:e  3pBuRr cshiansgelde  pfraompielryt iiess  tihne  tshwee e$t4 0sKp otto.  $I8t0 Km artacnhgees  itnh eB imromsitn gchoammm,o np uvto u$c2h0eKr  tsoi z$e3,5 Kg iivnetso  yroeuh atbh,e  awnidd etshte nt erneafnitn apnocoeld,  oauntd  a3tB R7 5F%M RL TrVa toensc ea rteh eu sAuRaVl lcyo mtehse  ibne satt  r$a1t1i0oK  rteol a$t1i3v0eK .t oT hpautr crheacsyec lpirnigc eo.f  Ic'adp iatvaoli di s2 BhRo wf oyro uS escctailoen  w8i tbheocuatu snee etdhien gv o$u5c0hKe rp earm oduonotrs. 

    a

    rOen  lLoLwCe rv sa npde rtshoen atle:n aIn tb opuogohlt  spherrisnoknsa.l l4yB Rf icrasnt ,w otrhke nb uttr atnhsef eprrroepde ritniteos  LcLoCsst  amfotreer  arnedf iynoaun cdionng'.t  Mgoestt  pcroonpvoernttiioonnaalll yl ehnidgehresr  wroenn'tt. 

    l

    eOnnd  stcor eaenn iLnLgC:  dSicrreecetnl yS,e cbtuito nD S8C Rt elneanndtesr se xwaicltll.y  Itfh ey osua'mree  asst amratriknegt  wriatthe .D SICnRc ofmreo mv edraiyf iocnaet,i oyno uo nc atnh ec ltoesnea nitn' st hpeo rLtLiCo.n  J(uIs tl omoakk ef osru r3ex  ytohueri ro ppeorrattiionng  oafg rteheem ernetn ti si nc lheoauns eahnodl dy oiunrc olmeen)d,e rr einst aclo mhfiosrttoarbyl,e  bwaictkhg riotu.n

    d

     Ocnh emcakr,k eatnsd:  lBainrdmlionrgdh arme fhearse nbceeesn.  eTxhcee lvloeuncth efro rh arnednlte st ot hper ihcoeu sriantgi oasu tohno rSietcyt'iso np o8r.t iFoMnR  b(uFta itrh eM atrekneatn tR esntti)l lf onre ead s3 BtRo  hbeer ea  sguopopdo rttesn asnotl.i dM yc aPsMh  hfalnodwl,e sa ntdh ipsu,r cahnads et hparti'cse sw haerree  shtaivliln gl oaw  PeMn owuhgoh  atchtauta ltlhye  umnadtehr swtoarnkdss.  SJeacmteiso nm e8n tiiso ncerdi tMiecmaplh.i

    s

    ,O nw hhioclhd  ivss  asneoltlh:e rI  shtorlodn gi nmdaerfkienti.t eIl'yd.  aClassoh  lfolookw  aits  Itnhdei agnoaaplo,l iasn,d  pSaercttsi oonf  8O htieon a(nCtlse vteelnadn dt,o  Csotlauym bluosn gseurb ubrebcsa)u,s ea ntdr asnosmfee rarrienags  ao fv oGuecohregri ai.s  Tah eh aksesyl em.e tLroiwce ri st uFrMnRo vreerl amteiavnes  tloo wpeurr cvhaacsaen cpyr iacned.  fIefw eFrM Rt ufronrs .a  I3'BmR  biusi l$d1i,n1g0 0l oanngd  tyeorum  cwaena lbtuhy  tahnrdo urgehh aebq uai tpyr oapnedr tcya sfho rf l$o8w0,K  naoltl  tirny,i ntgh et on utmibmeer st hgee tm avrekreyt .a

    t

    tOrnaec ttihvien.g

    nOonb opdryo pteerltlys  tyyopue :w h3eBnR  ysoiun gsltea rfta msiclayl iinsg  twhiet hs wae ePtM :s ptohte.  oIpte rmaatticohneasl  tshied em ogsett sc ocmommopnl ivcoautcehde rf assitz.e ,R egciovnecsi lyionug  tPhMe  swtiadteesmte nttesn,a nttr apcokoiln,g  awnhdi c3hB Rp rFoMpRe rrtayt egse naerrea tuesdu awlhlayt  tihnec obmees,t  srpaltiitot irnegl amtoirvteg atgoe  ppuarycmheanstes  pcroircree.c tIl'yd  faovro iSdc h2eBdRu lfeo rE ,S eacntdi okne e8p ibnegc aduosceu mtehnet sv oourcghaenri zaemdo uanctrso sasr e1 0l odwoeorr sa nids  tah er etaeln atnitm ep ocoolm msihtrmiennkts..  T4hBeR  icnavne swtoirnkg  bpuatr tt hies  ptrhoep efrutni epsa rcto.s tT hmeo rbeo oaknkde eypoiun gd oann'dt  agcecto upnrtoapboirltiitoyn aslildye  hiisg hwehre rree nmto.s

    t

     Opne ospclree eeniitnhge:r  Sbcurieledn  sSyesctteimosn  o8r  tgeenta notvse rewxhaecltmleyd .t

    h

    eY osuarm em iansd smeatr koeft  srtaetaed.y  Icnacsohm ef lvoewr iafnidc arteibouni lodni ntgh ec atpeintaanlt 'iss  peoxratcitolny  (rIi glhoto.k  Dfoonr' t3 xr utshhe iirt .p oGretti oonn eo fd etahle  rriegnhtt ,i nl ehaoruns ethhoel dB RiRnRc opmreo)c,e srse,n tbauli lhdi sat orreyl,a tbiaocnksghriopu nwdi tchh eac kg,o oadn dP Ml awnhdol ohradn drleefse rSeenccteiso.n  T8h,e  avnodu cthheern  hsacnadllee sf rtohme  thhoeursei.n gF eaeult hforreiet yt'os  rpeoarcthi oonu tb uitf  tyhoeu  theanvaen tq usetsitlilo nnse eadbso utto  Bbier mai nggohoadm  tsepneacnitf.i cMayl lPyM. handles this, and that's where having a PM who actually understands Section 8 is critical.

    On hold vs sell: I hold indefinitely. Cash flow is the goal, and Section 8 tenants tend to stay longer because transferring a voucher is a hassle. Lower turnover means lower vacancy and fewer turns. I'm building long term wealth through equity and cash flow, not trying to time the market.

    One thing nobody tells you when you start scaling with a PM: the operational side gets complicated fast. Reconciling PM statements, tracking which property generated what income, splitting mortgage payments correctly for Schedule E, and keeping documents organized across 10 doors is a real time commitment. The investing part is the fun part. The bookkeeping and accountability side is where most people either build systems or get overwhelmed.

    Your mindset of steady cash flow and rebuilding capital is exactly right. Don't rush it. Get one deal right, learn the BRRR process, build a relationship with a good PM who handles Section 8, and then scale from there. Feel free to reach out if you have questions about Birmingham specifically.

  • Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 41 votes
    6mo

    @Eduardo Cavasotti

    I am surely trying to figure out the next best steps to recoup cash & build longterm wealth. It's a slower process than I'd anticipated. I have also been looking at the BRRRR method as a possible next step and maybe doing section 8 further out. Trying to find the correct process and this is very different from fix & flip. The middle portion of your response was glitchy- but got most of it.

    Thanks!!

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 84 votes
    6mo

    @Kay Sam, sorry about that glitchy middle section, not sure what happened there. Let me clean up those parts that got mangled so you have the full picture.

    On LLC vs personal: I bought personally first, then transferred into LLCs after refinancing. Most conventional lenders won't lend to an LLC directly, but DSCR lenders will. If you're starting with DSCR from day one, you can close in the LLC. Just make sure your operating agreement is clean and your lender is comfortable with it.

    On markets: Birmingham has been excellent for rent to price ratios on Section 8. FMR (Fair Market Rent) for a 3BR here supports solid cash flow, and purchase prices are still low enough that the math works. I'd also look at Indianapolis, parts of Ohio (Cleveland, Columbus suburbs), and some areas of Georgia. The key metric is FMR relative to purchase price. If FMR for a 3BR is $1,100 and you can buy and rehab a property for $80K all in, the numbers get very attractive.

    On property type: 3BR single family is the sweet spot. It matches the most common voucher size, gives you the widest tenant pool, and 3BR FMR rates are usually the best ratio relative to purchase price. I'd avoid 2BR for Section 8 because the voucher amounts are lower and the tenant pool shrinks.

    On screening: Screen Section 8 tenants exactly the same as market rate. Income verification on the tenant's portion (I look for 3x their portion of the rent in household income), rental history, background check, and landlord references. The voucher handles the housing authority's portion but the tenant still needs to be a good tenant.

    Glad you're looking seriously at BRRR. It's a completely different process from fix and flip, but the capital recycling is what makes scaling possible without needing huge amounts of cash per deal. Happy to answer any follow up questions on the process.

  • Mike PaolucciBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2022 · 492 posts · 550 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Kay Sam:

    I’d love to get some perspective from investors who focus on Section 8 / voucher rentals.

    I’ve been investing in real estate for several years. I bought my first house in 2018 in the Elgin, IL area (ZIP 60123) and was actually a Section 8 landlord in 2021–2022. That tenant was great and left the property in excellent condition.

    However, I’ve also experienced the other side of landlording. After that I had a non-Section 8 tenant who I eventually had to evict, and the property was left trashed. So I’m not new to the realities of landlording or tenant risk.

    From 2024–2026 I focused more on fix-and-flip investing and unfortunately lost about $38K across deals. It was a huge learning experience but also a reminder that flips can be volatile.

    Because of that, I’m looking to shift toward something steadier and more cashflow-focused or would MTR be better??

    My goal now is to build rental doors over time, ideally using Section 8 or voucher tenants, while maintaining the option to sell in 1–2 years if the market improves.

    I’ll likely have about $50K available after finishing my current flip, but I’m only comfortable deploying about $20K into the next investment.

    Questions for experienced Section 8 investors:

    1. 1. Is it realistic to acquire Section 8 rentals with little money down (10% or less) using conventional or DSCR financing?
    2. 2. Has anyone successfully purchased Section 8 properties under an LLC from the start, or did you buy personally and transfer later?
    3. 3.  For those investing in the Midwest, what markets are currently producing the best rent-to-price ratios for voucher rentals?
    4. 4.  Would you recommend staying local when starting (for me that would be Elgin/Aurora IL) or looking at out-of-state markets like Indiana?
    5. 5.  How do you screen Section 8 tenants beyond the standard housing authority requirements?
    6. 6.  Are there specific property types (3 bed vs 4 bed, single family vs duplex) that tend to perform best with voucher tenants?
    7. 7.  For those doing this long term, do you primarily hold indefinitely for cashflow or do you cycle properties and sell after appreciation?

    I’m not trying to get rich quick with this strategy. My focus now is steady cashflow, rebuilding capital, and slowly increasing doors over time.

    Would really appreciate hearing from anyone successfully running Section 8 rentals in today’s market.


    1. Conventional - required to put minimum of 20% down (single family) / 25% (multi-family). DSCR - minimum of 15% but you'll be paying higher interst rates.

    2. If conventional loan - must buy in name and quitclaim deed into LLC. If DSCR - you can close via LLC.

    3. Cleveland & Dayton

    4. Personal preference thing. Locally will allow you to self manage and save some money. If you're OOS then I'd recommend using a property manager. 

    5. I'd call not the most recent landlord but the ones before the most recent. 

    6. 3 & 4 beds are a great sweet spot for rentals. Single family vs Multi-fam - personal preference thing. More cashflow with multi-family but generally have shorter term tenants vs single family homes. 

    7. Mostly buy & hold but if better opportunities pop up, I'm not opposed to 1031 into bigger or better locations / properties. 

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 921 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Kay Sam:

    I’d love to get some perspective from investors who focus on Section 8 / voucher rentals.

    I’ve been investing in real estate for several years. I bought my first house in 2018 in the Elgin, IL area (ZIP 60123) and was actually a Section 8 landlord in 2021–2022. That tenant was great and left the property in excellent condition.

    However, I’ve also experienced the other side of landlording. After that I had a non-Section 8 tenant who I eventually had to evict, and the property was left trashed. So I’m not new to the realities of landlording or tenant risk.

    From 2024–2026 I focused more on fix-and-flip investing and unfortunately lost about $38K across deals. It was a huge learning experience but also a reminder that flips can be volatile.

    Because of that, I’m looking to shift toward something steadier and more cashflow-focused or would MTR be better??

    My goal now is to build rental doors over time, ideally using Section 8 or voucher tenants, while maintaining the option to sell in 1–2 years if the market improves.

    I’ll likely have about $50K available after finishing my current flip, but I’m only comfortable deploying about $20K into the next investment.

    Questions for experienced Section 8 investors:

    1. 1. Is it realistic to acquire Section 8 rentals with little money down (10% or less) using conventional or DSCR financing?
    2. 2. Has anyone successfully purchased Section 8 properties under an LLC from the start, or did you buy personally and transfer later?
    3. 3.  For those investing in the Midwest, what markets are currently producing the best rent-to-price ratios for voucher rentals?
    4. 4.  Would you recommend staying local when starting (for me that would be Elgin/Aurora IL) or looking at out-of-state markets like Indiana?
    5. 5.  How do you screen Section 8 tenants beyond the standard housing authority requirements?
    6. 6.  Are there specific property types (3 bed vs 4 bed, single family vs duplex) that tend to perform best with voucher tenants?
    7. 7.  For those doing this long term, do you primarily hold indefinitely for cashflow or do you cycle properties and sell after appreciation?

    I’m not trying to get rich quick with this strategy. My focus now is steady cashflow, rebuilding capital, and slowly increasing doors over time.

    Would really appreciate hearing from anyone successfully running Section 8 rentals in today’s market.


    Appreciate the honesty in your post. A lot of investors go through a similar cycle with flips before shifting toward steady rentals. Section 8 can absolutely work if you buy in markets where the price-to-rent ratio supports it, and that’s why many investors look at Midwest cities where entry prices are lower, and voucher demand is strong. Places like Ohio tend to come up often in those conversations because you can still find affordable single-family and small multis where the numbers make sense for long-term cash flow. The biggest thing is buying right and having a solid local team in place, so managing from out of state doesn’t become a headache.
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    @Kay Sam, failing to properly screen your Tenants, instead relying on the Housing Authorities standards, the odds are stacked against you. A proper screening is about much more than a paystub and a Credit Score. It sounds like your screening of the non S8 Tenant was lacking to begin with.

    With your plans to sell in a couple years, you really need to plan ahead. Your HAP contract renews annually, and depending on your locale, it might not be easy to move Tenants out, either prior to listing, or as a condition of the sale. Investors, like you, are not going to pay Retail for an occupied unit, compared to a Home Buyer, so you probably leave money on the table except in the worse neighborhoods. Be sure if you do sell while occupied with subsidized Tenants, that you inform, in writing, the Housing Office of the anticipated closing date so they hold the payment until updated info is provided from the new Owner and they can pro-rate appropriately between Buyer and Seller.

    • Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 41 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      @Kay Sam, failing to properly screen your Tenants, instead relying on the Housing Authorities standards, the odds are stacked against you. A proper screening is about much more than a paystub and a Credit Score. It sounds like your screening of the non S8 Tenant was lacking to begin with.

      With your plans to sell in a couple years, you really need to plan ahead. Your HAP contract renews annually, and depending on your locale, it might not be easy to move Tenants out, either prior to listing, or as a condition of the sale. Investors, like you, are not going to pay Retail for an occupied unit, compared to a Home Buyer, so you probably leave money on the table except in the worse neighborhoods. Be sure if you do sell while occupied with subsidized Tenants, that you inform, in writing, the Housing Office of the anticipated closing date so they hold the payment until updated info is provided from the new Owner and they can pro-rate appropriately between Buyer and Seller.

      Hi Richard! You've brought up an excellent point i didnt think about with trying to sell while Section 8 tenant is in place. I'd definitely have to be mindful of this piece moving forward. 🤔🤔 Lots to consider. Unless I always say the lease is only year to year with the Section 8 tenant? While some Section 8 tenants tend to stay longer,  this may be an option if in writing first. How would you handle that situation if market improves & you want to sell without a tenant in place? 
      Bc you're right,  I've avoided properties with tenants. 1 good tenant (Section 8) and 2 bad (both evictions) hasn't gone well & both trashed the properties (1 SFH 1 mobile home) TIA. 
    • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Kay Sam:
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      @Kay Sam, failing to properly screen your Tenants, instead relying on the Housing Authorities standards, the odds are stacked against you. A proper screening is about much more than a paystub and a Credit Score. It sounds like your screening of the non S8 Tenant was lacking to begin with.

      With your plans to sell in a couple years, you really need to plan ahead. Your HAP contract renews annually, and depending on your locale, it might not be easy to move Tenants out, either prior to listing, or as a condition of the sale. Investors, like you, are not going to pay Retail for an occupied unit, compared to a Home Buyer, so you probably leave money on the table except in the worse neighborhoods. Be sure if you do sell while occupied with subsidized Tenants, that you inform, in writing, the Housing Office of the anticipated closing date so they hold the payment until updated info is provided from the new Owner and they can pro-rate appropriately between Buyer and Seller.

      Hi Richard! You've brought up an excellent point i didnt think about with trying to sell while Section 8 tenant is in place. I'd definitely have to be mindful of this piece moving forward. 🤔🤔 Lots to consider. Unless I always say the lease is only year to year with the Section 8 tenant? While some Section 8 tenants tend to stay longer,  this may be an option if in writing first. How would you handle that situation if market improves & you want to sell without a tenant in place? 
      Bc you're right,  I've avoided properties with tenants. 1 good tenant (Section 8) and 2 bad (both evictions) hasn't gone well & both trashed the properties (1 SFH 1 mobile home) TIA. 
      There is really not a process for an Owner to terminate a contract early. S8 does not have vacant units lying around to simply move someone over to. They need to go through the whole process of certification, inspection, approval on a new unit for the family. Some Housing Offices may have more flexibility than others, but I would not plan for that.
  • Member since 2026 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    6mo

    The pivot from flipping to Section 8 buy-and-hold makes a lot of sense given your situation, especially with $20K to deploy. A few things to think about on the numbers side.

    On your DSCR question — most DSCR lenders want a minimum 1.2 ratio, and they typically require 20-25% down. So with $20K you'd be looking at properties in the $80-100K range if you're putting 20% down plus closing costs. In the Elgin/Aurora area that could still get you a 3-bed SFR or possibly a small duplex if you find an off-market deal. Section 8 FMRs for a 3-bed in the Chicago metro are currently around $1,800-2,000/month depending on the specific ZIP, which gives you pretty solid rent-to-price ratios — potentially 1.5-2.0% on a sub-$100K property.

    On property type — 3-bed SFRs tend to be the sweet spot for Section 8 because that's where the largest pool of voucher holders is looking. 4-beds command higher FMRs but also come with more wear and tear. Duplexes are great if you can find them because you get two income streams against one mortgage, but they're harder to find at that price point near Chicago.

    One thing I'd flag — with $50K available but only wanting to deploy $20K, make sure you're keeping enough in reserves. Section 8 covers rent reliably but you're still on the hook for maintenance, vacancies between tenants (usually 30-60 days for turnover plus inspection), and any damage beyond the security deposit. I'd budget at least $3-5K in reserves per door on top of your down payment. The $38K loss from flipping hurts but the good news is Section 8 cash flow is about as predictable as rental income gets.

    • Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 41 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Alex Rastorgouev:

      The pivot from flipping to Section 8 buy-and-hold makes a lot of sense given your situation, especially with $20K to deploy. A few things to think about on the numbers side.

      On your DSCR question — most DSCR lenders want a minimum 1.2 ratio, and they typically require 20-25% down. So with $20K you'd be looking at properties in the $80-100K range if you're putting 20% down plus closing costs. In the Elgin/Aurora area that could still get you a 3-bed SFR or possibly a small duplex if you find an off-market deal. Section 8 FMRs for a 3-bed in the Chicago metro are currently around $1,800-2,000/month depending on the specific ZIP, which gives you pretty solid rent-to-price ratios — potentially 1.5-2.0% on a sub-$100K property.

      On property type — 3-bed SFRs tend to be the sweet spot for Section 8 because that's where the largest pool of voucher holders is looking. 4-beds command higher FMRs but also come with more wear and tear. Duplexes are great if you can find them because you get two income streams against one mortgage, but they're harder to find at that price point near Chicago.

      One thing I'd flag — with $50K available but only wanting to deploy $20K, make sure you're keeping enough in reserves. Section 8 covers rent reliably but you're still on the hook for maintenance, vacancies between tenants (usually 30-60 days for turnover plus inspection), and any damage beyond the security deposit. I'd budget at least $3-5K in reserves per door on top of your down payment. The $38K loss from flipping hurts but the good news is Section 8 cash flow is about as predictable as rental income gets.


      Appreciated Alex. Lots to think about; especially as it relates to the area. So what kind of DSCR companies will COVER 95% of purchase price and 100% of the rehab?? Lastly, are there any properties that are GOOD and not in terrible neighborhoods that are $80-100K?

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 84 votes
    6mo

    @Kay Sam To directly answer your BRRR + Section 8 question: yes, they work together extremely well. That's exactly what I do on every deal. All 10 of my Birmingham doors were acquired through BRRR and placed with Section 8 tenants.

    Here's how the process looks. You buy a distressed property, rehab it to pass HQS (Housing Quality Standards) inspection, place a voucher tenant through your PM, collect 6 to 12 months of rent history to season the loan, then refinance with a DSCR lender. The Section 8 angle actually helps your DSCR ratio because lenders see the HAP contract as reliable, consistent income. Most DSCR lenders I've worked with treat voucher rent the same as market rent for qualification.

    The reason BRRR + Section 8 is so powerful for someone rebuilding after flips: predictability. The housing authority pays their portion on the 1st of every month like clockwork. My Section 8 tenants have averaged 3+ years of tenure, which means less turnover, fewer vacancies, and more stable NOI when it's time to refinance. Compare that to flipping where you're constantly exposed to market timing and ARV risk.

    On the team concern you mentioned about building infrastructure in a new market: the PM is everything. I'm in South Carolina managing 10 doors in Alabama. Interview at least 3 PMs, ask specifically about Section 8 experience (how many voucher tenants they manage, their HQS pass rate, how they handle HAP payment verification). A PM who doesn't understand Section 8 compliance will cost you money in failed inspections and delayed voucher placements.

    One operational thing that compounds fast with BRRR + Section 8: every deal has its own purchase basis, rehab costs, depreciation schedule, and Section 8 compliance dates (lease renewals, HQS inspections, FMR adjustments). Get your tracking system tight from the start. I learned the hard way that by the time you hit 5 or 6 doors, you can't keep it all in your head or in a spreadsheet without something falling through the cracks.

  • Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 41 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Callum Mathieson:

    Hi Kay,

    There seems to be a lot of good information on this post already but if it helps I have been building a Section 8 deal analyzer which aims to identify markets where section 8 rental vouchers can exceed market rent.

    I've not launched it yet but I would love some beta testers to give it a try and give me their honest feedback.

    If you or anyone else is interested feel free to message me and I will send you access.


     Callum,

    Yes I would LOVE to try this out as a beta tester.  Sending a PM right now.

  • Member since 2021 · 81 posts · 79 votes
    6mo

    Kay, I read through this entire thread and the replies, and I want to give you a consolidated response because there's genuinely great advice scattered across 18 replies (Eduardo and Richard especially), but also some gaps nobody addressed.

    Your Starting Position Is Better Than You Think You lost $38K on flips. That stings. But here's something nobody in this thread mentioned: under IRC 469, passive activity losses carry forward. Depending on your AGI and filing status, those flip losses can offset future rental income for tax purposes over the next 2-3 years. Talk to your CPA before your next move — it changes the math on your first rental deal. That $38K isn't just gone. It's a tax asset sitting in your return.

    You also have something most people asking this question don't have: actual Section 8 landlord experience. You had a good tenant in 2021-2022 who left the place clean. You know what good looks like. That matters.

    The Honest Math on $20K

    I want to be direct here because your follow-up to Kyle about wanting 5% down with 95% purchase and 100% rehab covered — that's not where DSCR lending is in 2026.

    - DSCR lenders require 20-25% down. With $20K minus closing costs, you're looking at an ~$80-85K max purchase price.

    - Bridge/rehab lenders CAN go lower — 10-15% down on acquisition with 100% rehab financing — but they want track record. Your flip experience (even with losses) actually helps here because you've completed projects.

    - Current DSCR rates: 5.99%-8.00% depending on credit score and ratio.

    In Elgin/Aurora, $80K doesn't get you much. But here's something specific to your situation: Kane County uses Small Area Fair Market Rents (SAFMRs). That means FMR varies by ZIP code, not just metro area.

    For a 3BR in your area, FMR ranges from $1,854 to $2,266 depending on the specific ZIP. Before you go out of state, check what your existing Elgin property could rent for under Section 8. You might already be sitting on a deal with zero acquisition cost.

    Where the Numbers Work If You Go Out of State

    I pulled the FY2026 FMR data for the markets mentioned in this thread:

    ┌───────────────────────────┬───────────────┬─────────────────────────────┬────────────┐

    │ Market │ 3BR FMR │ Typical Distressed Purchase │ Rent/Price │

    ├───────────────────────────┼───────────────┼─────────────────────────────┼────────────┤

    │ Birmingham, AL │ $1,583 │ $40-80K │ 1.5-2.0% │

    ├───────────────────────────┼───────────────┼─────────────────────────────┼────────────┤

    │ Indianapolis, IN │ $1,907 │ $60-100K │ 1.2-1.6% │

    ├───────────────────────────┼───────────────┼─────────────────────────────┼────────────┤

    │ Cleveland/Dayton, OH │ ~$1,200-1,400 │ $40-70K │ 1.5-2.0% │

    ├───────────────────────────┼───────────────┼─────────────────────────────┼────────────┤

    │ Elgin, IL (your backyard) │ $1,854-2,266 │ $150-250K │ 0.7-1.0% │

    └───────────────────────────┴───────────────┴─────────────────────────────┴────────────┘

    Birmingham and Ohio generate roughly 2x the cashflow per dollar deployed compared to your local market. That's not opinion — it's the FMR-to-purchase spread.

    The BRRRR + Section 8 Combo Works — But You Need to Choose

    Eduardo described the model perfectly. Buy distressed, rehab to HQS standard (functional and safe, not granite counters), place a voucher tenant, season 6-12 months, DSCR refi at 75% LTV, recycle your capital, repeat. The S8 angle actually helps your DSCR refi because lenders view HAP income as reliable and consistent.

    But here's the thing Richard brought up that I want to make sure you caught, because it's the most important point in this entire thread:

    You cannot easily exit a Section 8 property with a tenant in place. The HAP contract doesn't automatically transfer to a new buyer. S8 tenants average 3+ years tenure because transferring a voucher is a pain for them — great for cashflow, terrible for your exit flexibility. And investors buying occupied S8 units typically pay 85-90% of what they'd pay for a vacant unit. You're leaving money on the table at exit.

    So you need to decide now: are you holding long-term for cashflow, or are you keeping the option to sell in 1-2 years? Because "Section 8" and "sell when the market improves" don't go together. If you're truly building cashflow and doors, S8 + BRRRR is one of the strongest plays at your capital level. If you want exit flexibility, do market-rate BRRRR and skip S8 entirely.

    The Practical Next Steps

    1. This week — Call the Housing Authority of Elgin and ask what a 3BR voucher pays for your ZIP. If it's $1,900+, you might S8 your existing property before buying anything new. Immediate cashflow, no

    acquisition cost.

    2. This week — Start interviewing PMs in Birmingham (or whichever OOS market you choose). The PM IS the strategy when you're investing remotely. Ask specifically: How many S8 doors do you manage? What's your

    HQS first-pass inspection rate? Can you manage a rehab? Don't look at a single deal until your PM is locked in.

    3. This month — Get pre-qualified with a bridge/rehab lender. Your flip experience (completed projects, even at a loss) is actually an asset in that conversation.

    4. Before you buy — Make the hold vs sell decision. Everything else flows from that.

    On your deal sourcing concern — you're right that wholesaler margins are compressed in 2026. The investors finding real deals right now are working through PM networks (PMs see distressed properties before

    wholesalers), direct-to-seller marketing, and auction/REO channels. Another reason to lock in the PM first.

    You've already survived the hardest part — losing money and coming back instead of quitting. Most people don't. Get the PM, get the financing lined up, and let the system work.

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Kay Sam:

    I’d love to get some perspective from investors who focus on Section 8 / voucher rentals.

    I’ve been investing in real estate for several years. I bought my first house in 2018 in the Elgin, IL area (ZIP 60123) and was actually a Section 8 landlord in 2021–2022. That tenant was great and left the property in excellent condition.

    However, I’ve also experienced the other side of landlording. After that I had a non-Section 8 tenant who I eventually had to evict, and the property was left trashed. So I’m not new to the realities of landlording or tenant risk.

    From 2024–2026 I focused more on fix-and-flip investing and unfortunately lost about $38K across deals. It was a huge learning experience but also a reminder that flips can be volatile.

    Because of that, I’m looking to shift toward something steadier and more cashflow-focused or would MTR be better??

    My goal now is to build rental doors over time, ideally using Section 8 or voucher tenants, while maintaining the option to sell in 1–2 years if the market improves.

    I’ll likely have about $50K available after finishing my current flip, but I’m only comfortable deploying about $20K into the next investment.

    Questions for experienced Section 8 investors:

    1. 1. Is it realistic to acquire Section 8 rentals with little money down (10% or less) using conventional or DSCR financing?
    2. 2. Has anyone successfully purchased Section 8 properties under an LLC from the start, or did you buy personally and transfer later?
    3. 3.  For those investing in the Midwest, what markets are currently producing the best rent-to-price ratios for voucher rentals?
    4. 4.  Would you recommend staying local when starting (for me that would be Elgin/Aurora IL) or looking at out-of-state markets like Indiana?
    5. 5.  How do you screen Section 8 tenants beyond the standard housing authority requirements?
    6. 6.  Are there specific property types (3 bed vs 4 bed, single family vs duplex) that tend to perform best with voucher tenants?
    7. 7.  For those doing this long term, do you primarily hold indefinitely for cashflow or do you cycle properties and sell after appreciation?

    I’m not trying to get rich quick with this strategy. My focus now is steady cashflow, rebuilding capital, and slowly increasing doors over time.

    Would really appreciate hearing from anyone successfully running Section 8 rentals in today’s market.

     Hi @Kay Sam. What is your "why" about investing in S8 properties?

    • Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 41 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Jaycee Greene:
      Quote from @Kay Sam:

      I’d love to get some perspective from investors who focus on Section 8 / voucher rentals.

      I’ve been investing in real estate for several years. I bought my first house in 2018 in the Elgin, IL area (ZIP 60123) and was actually a Section 8 landlord in 2021–2022. That tenant was great and left the property in excellent condition.

      However, I’ve also experienced the other side of landlording. After that I had a non-Section 8 tenant who I eventually had to evict, and the property was left trashed. So I’m not new to the realities of landlording or tenant risk.

      From 2024–2026 I focused more on fix-and-flip investing and unfortunately lost about $38K across deals. It was a huge learning experience but also a reminder that flips can be volatile.

      Because of that, I’m looking to shift toward something steadier and more cashflow-focused or would MTR be better??

      My goal now is to build rental doors over time, ideally using Section 8 or voucher tenants, while maintaining the option to sell in 1–2 years if the market improves.

      I’ll likely have about $50K available after finishing my current flip, but I’m only comfortable deploying about $20K into the next investment.

      Questions for experienced Section 8 investors:

      1. 1. Is it realistic to acquire Section 8 rentals with little money down (10% or less) using conventional or DSCR financing?
      2. 2. Has anyone successfully purchased Section 8 properties under an LLC from the start, or did you buy personally and transfer later?
      3. 3.  For those investing in the Midwest, what markets are currently producing the best rent-to-price ratios for voucher rentals?
      4. 4.  Would you recommend staying local when starting (for me that would be Elgin/Aurora IL) or looking at out-of-state markets like Indiana?
      5. 5.  How do you screen Section 8 tenants beyond the standard housing authority requirements?
      6. 6.  Are there specific property types (3 bed vs 4 bed, single family vs duplex) that tend to perform best with voucher tenants?
      7. 7.  For those doing this long term, do you primarily hold indefinitely for cashflow or do you cycle properties and sell after appreciation?

      I’m not trying to get rich quick with this strategy. My focus now is steady cashflow, rebuilding capital, and slowly increasing doors over time.

      Would really appreciate hearing from anyone successfully running Section 8 rentals in today’s market.

       Hi @Kay Sam. What is your "why" about investing in S8 properties?


       My "why," would be at least the rental check is guaranteed (high percentage anyways), not lost if there's another shut down, consistent and ability to add doors. To me, so far it seems more stable than MTR and regular rentals.  Definitely more stable than flipping.  I wish I had of stayed with more rentals.  Rentals was what I did in the beginning for a few years before I sold my property.  Now I'm trying to figure out what's next.  Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.