Looking for advice on negotiation + rehab scope for a duplex under contract in Cola

Looking for advice on negotiation + rehab scope for a duplex under contract in Cola

Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2023 · 37 posts · 11 votes

Hey everyone — would appreciate some input from folks who’ve done older duplex rehabs, this one is built in 1950

I’m currently under contract on a duplex in Columbia, SC (29205 area). Original purchase price is $310K. After getting the inspection back, the scope looks significantly heavier than I initially expected.

Some of the key issues from home inspection:

  • Crawlspace: active leak, moisture issues, possible subfloor damage, signs of pests
  • Plumbing: older galvanized + some active leaks
  • Electrical: many outlets not grounded, some safety concerns
  • No attic insulation + ventilation issues
  • Interior: peeling paint throughout (pre-1978), possible moisture-related damage in areas, possible lead paint
  • Misc: fascia/trim rot, bath venting into attic, appliance issues

My goal is to rent both units as furnished mid-term rentals.

Based on rough estimates (using J Scott-style rehab estimating + some contractor input), I’m coming in around:

  • ~$60K–$90K rehab depending on how crawlspace/structural shakes out
  • Plus additional cost for furnishing and fencing

There’s also a fully remodeled duplex nearby listed around ~$315K, which makes the current deal feel tight at my original purchase price.

My questions:

  1. Negotiation strategy — would you:
    • Ask for a large price reduction (thinking ~$40K–$50K)?
    • Ask for seller credits instead?
    • Or try a combination / different approach?
  2. Am I thinking about this correctly from a numbers standpoint, or does this feel like I’m forcing a deal?
  3. For those experienced with crawlspace + moisture + pest combos — how often do these turn into much larger issues than expected?
  4. This would be my first actual rehab on a property

I like the property, but I’m not overly attached and want to stay disciplined on numbers.

Appreciate any thoughts — especially from people who’ve been through similar older property rehabs.

1Reply
118 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2026 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    5mo

    I don't know anything about what's on the market in that area but if you are saying that the purchase price is $310k and there is potentially $90k in repairs needed, if the seller doesn't give any concessions at closing, you are buying for $400k. And the other house you mentioned sold for $315k, which means you are overpaying. Unless you hold the property forever and it cash flows at $400k.

    If you do get a $60k reduction in price, you're still paying $340k if rehab comes in at $90k. Again, that assumes the property cash flows at $340k. But you would still be overpaying based on the $315k comp.

    My guess is that you are forcing a deal but I haven't done a full underwrite on it. Just surface level analysis.

    Let me know if you want me to help you walk through the numbers more thoroughly.

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Qais Attarwala:

    Hey everyone — would appreciate some input from folks who’ve done older duplex rehabs, this one is built in 1950

    I’m currently under contract on a duplex in Columbia, SC (29205 area). Original purchase price is $310K. After getting the inspection back, the scope looks significantly heavier than I initially expected.

    Some of the key issues from home inspection:

    • Crawlspace: active leak, moisture issues, possible subfloor damage, signs of pests
    • Plumbing: older galvanized + some active leaks
    • Electrical: many outlets not grounded, some safety concerns
    • No attic insulation + ventilation issues
    • Interior: peeling paint throughout (pre-1978), possible moisture-related damage in areas, possible lead paint
    • Misc: fascia/trim rot, bath venting into attic, appliance issues

    My goal is to rent both units as furnished mid-term rentals.

    Based on rough estimates (using J Scott-style rehab estimating + some contractor input), I’m coming in around:

    • ~$60K–$90K rehab depending on how crawlspace/structural shakes out
    • Plus additional cost for furnishing and fencing

    There’s also a fully remodeled duplex nearby listed around ~$315K, which makes the current deal feel tight at my original purchase price.

    My questions:

    1. Negotiation strategy — would you:
      • Ask for a large price reduction (thinking ~$40K–$50K)?
      • Ask for seller credits instead?
      • Or try a combination / different approach?
    2. Am I thinking about this correctly from a numbers standpoint, or does this feel like I’m forcing a deal?
    3. For those experienced with crawlspace + moisture + pest combos — how often do these turn into much larger issues than expected?
    4. This would be my first actual rehab on a property

    I like the property, but I’m not overly attached and want to stay disciplined on numbers.

    Appreciate any thoughts — especially from people who’ve been through similar older property rehabs.


    If the rehab scope is heavier than expected, you need to get a very clear, updated estimate before moving forward. Without that, you’re flying blind. Compare your total cost after rehab to what comparable remodeled duplexes are selling for, not just the purchase price. If your total investment approaches or exceeds that $315k, you have limited upside or risk negative cash flow. At that point, renegotiating the price makes sense, or walk if the seller won’t budge. Don’t assume heavy rehab will automatically create value; sometimes you’re just adding cost to old bones. Keep your exit strategy and numbers clear before doubling down. 

  • Vijay FriedmanBusiness Member
    Miami, FL · Member since 2026 · 766 posts · 122 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Qais Attarwala:

    Hey everyone — would appreciate some input from folks who’ve done older duplex rehabs, this one is built in 1950

    I’m currently under contract on a duplex in Columbia, SC (29205 area). Original purchase price is $310K. After getting the inspection back, the scope looks significantly heavier than I initially expected.

    Some of the key issues from home inspection:

    • Crawlspace: active leak, moisture issues, possible subfloor damage, signs of pests
    • Plumbing: older galvanized + some active leaks
    • Electrical: many outlets not grounded, some safety concerns
    • No attic insulation + ventilation issues
    • Interior: peeling paint throughout (pre-1978), possible moisture-related damage in areas, possible lead paint
    • Misc: fascia/trim rot, bath venting into attic, appliance issues

    My goal is to rent both units as furnished mid-term rentals.

    Based on rough estimates (using J Scott-style rehab estimating + some contractor input), I’m coming in around:

    • ~$60K–$90K rehab depending on how crawlspace/structural shakes out
    • Plus additional cost for furnishing and fencing

    There’s also a fully remodeled duplex nearby listed around ~$315K, which makes the current deal feel tight at my original purchase price.

    My questions:

    1. Negotiation strategy — would you:
      • Ask for a large price reduction (thinking ~$40K–$50K)?
      • Ask for seller credits instead?
      • Or try a combination / different approach?
    2. Am I thinking about this correctly from a numbers standpoint, or does this feel like I’m forcing a deal?
    3. For those experienced with crawlspace + moisture + pest combos — how often do these turn into much larger issues than expected?
    4. This would be my first actual rehab on a property

    I like the property, but I’m not overly attached and want to stay disciplined on numbers.

    Appreciate any thoughts — especially from people who’ve been through similar older property rehabs.

    @Qais Attarwala

    You’re thinking about this the right way by not getting emotionally attached and backing into the numbers after inspection.

    At a $310K purchase with a possible $60K–$90K rehab, plus furnishing and fencing, the deal can get tight quickly, especially if a fully remodeled duplex nearby is around $315K. I’d want firm contractor bids before moving forward, especially for the crawlspace, moisture, plumbing, and electrical items. Those are the types of issues that can create scope creep.

    From a financing perspective, I’d also think about whether the property will be financeable/insurable as-is, and whether your exit still works as a furnished mid-term rental after repairs, reserves, and vacancy are factored in.

    Personally, I’d push for a meaningful price reduction or a combination of price reduction + seller credit, but only after confirming the true repair scope. If the seller won’t move and the numbers are forced, walking away may be better than buying a problem.@Qais Attarwala
     

    DreamPoint Capital
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.