Trenton, NJ

25 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I am new and looking for a place where I can buy an investment property to rent out. I was told Trenton, NJ is a great place to get good cash flow. Can anyone tell me more about their experience owning there? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Hi Mark,

My husband and I own 2 properties there. Are you familiar with Trenton at all? Yes, good cash flow but a challenging area.

Hi Aly,

I am not that familiar with Trenton. What can you tell me about it? Why do you say it can be challanging?

Trenton has a lot of Class C and D areas. As a new landlord, you'll certainly learn the business, likely trial by fire, as we did. And if you're nowhere near your rentals, you'll need a team to help you manage them. Do you have any landlord experience? I would suggest you research the area to learn more about it. You can PM me and I can tell you more.

Hey @Mark Resnick  there happens to be another recent thread about Trenton here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/105...

In my experience, I've found that Trenton has many different neighborhoods, some better to invest in than others. You'll want to make sure you really learn the area, or partner with someone who does.

Medium lpi logoJustin Fraser, Liberty Property Investing | [email protected] | http://www.libertypropertyinvesting.com/videos

I get tons of leads in Trenton. These people want to sell their house for cash but I'm not in that area and not really looking for rentals right now. If you're interested in purchasing some of the leads or buying houses in Trenton, please email me: [email protected]

I would say in the last 6 months I've accumulated close to 100 leads in Trenton. 

Hey Mark,

We do tons of business in Trenton. Our offices are here in the city also.  Send me a note on BP and I will get you more info, and we can talk more about Holly Nance as I see you posted about them in another thread.

@Justin Fraser  you are correct, there are good neighborhoods and bad ones.  There are also some big redevelopment projects in the pipeline that will change the landscape of the city in the next 5 years.

Matt

Medium 2016 logo with white backgroundMatt Faircloth, The DeRosa Group | http://www.DeRosaGroup.com | Podcast Guest on Show #203

Mark, 

I've always been up on Trenton and like what I see you're doing there.  I've also followed a lot of developments on the Trenton Lofts site.  People always questioned why I invested in downtown Newark years ago and now with a couple of billion $ of large scale development going on in my neighborhood it's become pretty clear.  The migration back to the cities transport hubs is only going to continue.  Would love to take a closer look at what you're doing sometime.  Keep up the good work.  

Dave

973‑879‑8875

@Matt Faircloth  

Would you mind sharing any particular neighborhoods that you're watching over the next few years? I'm wondering if the redevelopment you mentioned is focused in on any particular area or the city as a whole. I know a little about Trenton and have it in the back of my mind as a possible interest going forward.

I have properties in Chambersburg and the Lalor Tract, and it's not there ;)

Hey Mark,

I think the area around the train station will change for the better in the next 2 to 3 years.  There are several projects in the works over there.   Also Mill Hill is strong, as is the section of South Broad that runs through Mill Hill - the 200 block to the 400 block.  Further out on timeline for redevelopment is the area around East Hanover - what I like about that district is that there is a really solid housing stock and a group of artists have started to take over part of that area.  It's really challenged with crime right now which is why it needs more time to develop.

I am always available to chat more about Trenton, let me know.

Matt

Medium 2016 logo with white backgroundMatt Faircloth, The DeRosa Group | http://www.DeRosaGroup.com | Podcast Guest on Show #203

Originally posted by Aly NA:

Trenton has a lot of Class C and D areas. As a new landlord, you'll certainly learn the business, likely trial by fire, as we did. And if you're nowhere near your rentals, you'll need a team to help you manage them. Do you have any landlord experience? I would suggest you research the area to learn more about it. You can PM me and I can tell you more.

Hey Aly. I have recently come across Trenton as a market to invest in for cash flow due to low housing prices vs rents. In researching, I came across the Trenton thread in which you posted. I do still need to do my own research and due diligence, however, figured I would reach out to you. What has been your landlording experience in this area? I know it's definitely a bit rough... I wanted to see if you thought it is worth it?

Thanks so much, Aly. I appreciate your time. :)

Amber

This post has been removed.

I know I'm very late but I'm looking to invest in property in nj for rentals or flips can someone help me and tell me what's a good area ? I'm from paterson and looking to invest in muti family 

Trenton is an interesting place to invest. You must do your homework and finding a reliable team has proved very difficult for me. I own a 2 unit property that I lived in and have been renting it out for about 4 years now. It's in Chambersburg and it's a nice place. I got tenants without too much hassle but had a horrible experience with a certain property management company. With that and a good amount of maintenance behind me it's time to focus the time and energy on my wife and toddler.  Also being very far away from the property is tough. So I am selling. I would suggest looking for investments that won't take more than 30 minutes to get to. 

Originally posted by @Edward Moses :

Trenton is an interesting place to invest. You must do your homework and finding a reliable team has proved very difficult for me. I own a 2 unit property that I lived in and have been renting it out for about 4 years now. It's in Chambersburg and it's a nice place. I got tenants without too much hassle but had a horrible experience with a certain property management company. With that and a good amount of maintenance behind me it's time to focus the time and energy on my wife and toddler.  Also being very far away from the property is tough. So I am selling. I would suggest looking for investments that won't take more than 30 minutes to get to. 

Edward I am wholesaler in Trenton. If you are interested in selling soon, let me know! PM me if you are interested. 

@Edward Moses you should put them on blast bro. That property management shouldn't be managing places if they cant provide what they say. I also had a horrible experience with a property mgr in broad st Trenton nj. I think it was called extra property management. They sucked big time. I bought a property in February this year...  to make the long story short, they sold me the property promised me they would manage it..months and months later..it was still a sht hole and they would lie saying they were working on it..blah blah blah. nothing ever happened..but worst of all they would never ever pick up the phone or get back to you. I feel like I got suckered and got nobody to blame except me for not doing my research.  If anyone knows extra property mgmt., please tell them Frederick said hello and also tell them IF THEY HAVE SO MUCH WORK AND ALOT OF CLIENTS OR BUSY ALL THE TIME..WHY NOT BE UP FRONT AND SAY NO I CANT MANAGE YOUR PLACE INSTEAD OF WASTING MY TIME!   do your research guys..thanks.

Hi, I live in NYC and I have 2 multifamily houses in Trenton, NJ. I've own both houses for 13 years. Both houses have 3 units each with tenants. I also have a handyman in the neighborhood who pretty much takes care of everything. You might be able to work around using a management company, but instead just use independant contractors when necessary (electricians, plumbers, etc.).  Even though I'm selling both my properties, I wouldn't have lasted this long without using them.

@Jeff Marcus Hi Jeff, I see that you are interested in selling your properties in Trenton. I am a investor in the Trenton market and would like to chat with you to discuss the opportunity of working together. Private message me if you are interested. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Will do!

Hi, I currently have a great property in Trenton, New Jersey. Perfect for the buy and hold Investor. If interested, message me. Thanks Guys!

I have a FSBO client looking to move a commercial property in Ewing if anyone in here might be interested. It was a furniture store. 17,500 square feet inside, .57 acre lot, parking right in front, but not in back so not ideal for a supermarket unless interested in buying the lot across the street (traffic study required). It is attached to a couple other small units, different owner. Client does not want to list, but we have an agreement in place to bring the buyer and I would work for the investor. It needs upgrading, but is on a well-trafficked street and has some potential at the right price. He has always been priced too high. Send me a PM for more info and address.

Medium high resolution pngJonathan Greene, Trust Greene Investor Services | [email protected] | (973) 873‑0734