Convicted Rapist Behind a House

10 Replies

OK gang, wanted to get the BP investors' opinion on this scenario. I had a house under contract for $75k, ARV on it is $130k. Needs 25 to 30k in repairs. 1,200 square feet in a great location. Discovered a convicted rapist from 2002 lives directly behind the house. I bailed....what would you do?

Medium niceguysbuyind05br05ap02zl madison5aTerry Burger, Nice Guys Buying Atlanta Houses | http://www.NiceGuysBuyingHouses.com | GA Agent # 248443

Criminals live everywhere. Some are known, some are on a list, some are unknown. But they're everywhere.

Well, the conviction was over 10 years ago.
What class neighborhood is this? If it is a high-end area, then it might scare potential buyers much more, but if it's an average area, I doubt that would have necessarily been a deal killer. Like Lynn said, criminals area everywhere; some are just required to have listed their crimes for the public. If he was a murderer, would he be on a similar list? Not that I'm aware of...you'd have to know his name and look it up that way.

Nicole A., New Page LLC | [email protected] | 305‑537‑6252

If the deal made sense - do the deal.  Criminals are everywhere - if he went to prison for rape once....odds are he will never venture down that road again.  If you buy inner city, you couldn't find a street without criminals of some sort or flavor on it.  Buy for price, create value and you'll do just fine with it.

Hi Terry-I'm with you, I would have bailed too. I think it would be harder to rent or resale.

Who cares? If hes out he "paid his debt" so to speak.

Originally posted by @Terry Burger :

OK gang, wanted to get the BP investors' opinion on this scenario. I had a house under contract for $75k, ARV on it is $130k. Needs 25 to 30k in repairs. 1,200 square feet in a great location. Discovered a convicted rapist from 2002 lives directly behind the house. I bailed....what would you do?

I get why you were frightened but knowing is way better than not knowing and with that you / your tenant would be better off.  There are sex offenders in every housing market big and small, lower class to upper class. Many are not even known due to some foul up in the system or simply the offender neglected to register. Its not like you and your family are moving in the subject property. If the numbers are great, maybe do owner-financing and flip it in 3 years or so. Believe it or not someone(if not you) will come along and profit if its to be had, from that house. 

Just think if every REI actually does a sex offender search as part of their due diligence on every potential deal and have that be the deciding factor to close on it not... Hey do a search in your neighborhood - just punch in your zip code. Its one of those things that you may not want to concentrate on for sanity sake... definitely a double edged dagger, my coin.

Kudos,

Mary

Originally posted by @Andy Luick :

If the deal made sense - do the deal.  Criminals are everywhere - if he went to prison for rape once....odds are he will never venture down that road again.  If you buy inner city, you couldn't find a street without criminals of some sort or flavor on it.  Buy for price, create value and you'll do just fine with it.

Have you never watched Law & Order SVU?

@Terry Burger  

Were you able to find out the details of his conviction? 

If I was unable to find out more, I would definitely bail on the deal.  If I found out more and it was a horrific scenario, I would definitely bail. 

If I found out more and it was a teenage boyfriend/younger girlfriend thing where the parents freaked out, I would stay the course.

I think that you need to find out the details of the crime. 

It could have been a 19 y/o with his 17 y/o girlfriend.

You didn't mention your plan for the house. Fix and sale or rental.

In my experience renter look less than buyers.