Formula ?

3 Replies

Hey guys,

I thought I heard of a math formula for doing the math backwards to figure out what a property should sell for.  Eg. If I know it will rent for x and needs y amount of rehab purchase price should be Z.   With x amount of dp

Maybe I imagined it, I don't know. Just maybe their is an easier way to do the math. Thanks

You can create any formula that you want. I am looking for properties that give me 8% NOI/Cost. I use a quick formula assuming a 50% expense ratio.

The formula is that estimated monthly rent times 75 gives me price + rehab.  This is the most I want to pay.  If I can get a property for near that amount I go further and start estimating the actual expenses of the buy and hold.

I hope this helps.

Bill

@James L.  Yes.  I like it better than the 50%, 8%, 2%, 1%, or whatever arbitrary "one size fits all" formula that is out there.  I'm not buying milk...I'm buying R.E....and every property is different.

I use two formulas.  One for Cash Flow and one for Cost to buy/rehab:

1 - CF:  Rent - Tax - Insurance - Property mngr. - Debt Service < Cash Flow requirement

2 - Cost (to Buy/rehab): Offer =ARV * 75%

My CF requirement is a minimum of $300/month. 

@James L. are you talking about a flip...SFH...? Are you attempting to determine after repair value?...

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.