Votes
Jeremy Ferguson
  • Chapel Hill, NC
Votes |
Wrong Info on Tax Records

Jeremy Ferguson
  • Chapel Hill, NC
Posted Feb 14 2015, 12:17

I have come across something strange on the tax records website and thought I would post here for feedback. I am still fairly new to REI and I have come across a motivated seller and went to visit the property today. Where I am confused is it seems that the tax records website, Google, Zillow, Trulia and any other site all have the wrong data. If you look up the address on the tax website it shows her name, and a different property under the "photos" tab. That house is actually 4 units down the road. If I use that wrong address in the tax records website I get the photos of her home and then a different name listed as the owner.

Here is where I am having trouble.. Most of this data is pulled into Zillow, Trulia and other sites so I am  assuming because the data is wrong on the tax website, it's also wrong in these other places. So running comps is very difficult. She had an original blueprint/house specs document from when the home was built with the square footage on it and it's different than both homes data on the tax website.

At the end of the day it's a great property in a fantastic neighborhood and I have a very motivated seller. Where can I go to get the most accurate info? Do you see any issues if I were to get this under contract to wholesale or flip? Not having any experience really, I just don't know what I don't know, so if there are any problems you can see this causing I would love to know now.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

Loading replies...