• Accountant
  • Lumberton, NC
Votes |
4 Plex Analysis - 3 Questions

Lee G.
  • Accountant
  • Lumberton, NC
Posted Apr 7 2015, 06:33

I just finished episode 61 with Ben Leybovich about how to succeed in multifamily properties (I highly recommend this podcast as well as episode 60 as the two best I've listened to so far). I was interested in what he had to say about valuation 4-plex, tri-plex and duplex properties. According to Ben, NOI is not correlated with purchase price as much as larger investments such as apartments. Instead, value of property is more about comparable 4-plexes or duplexes within that market.

QUESTION 1:  Can anyone explain on why a 4-plex is valued  on Comps than larger properties?

I have been running numbers on a 4-plex for weeks using NOI, CAP Rate, and Total ROI. I have been trying to nail down what I am willing to offer based on all of these measures with a CAP rate target of 8%. I am an analytical person and want the numbers to be "right" before I purchase my first multi-family (I currently own a single family).

QUESTION 2:  Concerning the 50% rule, if I plan to self manage the 4-plex is 40% a reasonable number to use?  My own estimates are at 36% currently.  These numbers can really swing these metrics dramatically!!

I really value TOTAL ROI as a metric, which includes cash flow, equity, taxes, and appreciation. I'm assuming it doesn't get discussed as much because 1) it is very subjective in nature (such as appreciation), and 2) the calculation is more involved and dependent on financing. However, this calculation to me, is a big picture approach and could be more valuable than even CAP rate and cash on cash. I have been a landlord for a single family for going on 5 years and to ignore equity accrual and income tax benefits doesn't begin to tell the story.

QUESTION 3:   Any thoughts on TOTAL ROI as a measure?

Loading replies...