Private Lenders

3 Replies

Hello Forum,

I am getting involved in real estate rehab/flipping houses business. I own a residential contracting company but I am ready to go to next level. I have contacted some private lenders in order to get some financing options and all of them are willing to borrow money. Terms are acceptable but all of the lenders that I have contacted are asking me for an origination fee upfront. 

I ask them to deduct that amount form the amount of loan but all of the ones that i have spoken to refuse to do that

I want to ask how is the normal (standard) procedure on this cases or is a rule of thumb that they all require an origination fee? Is that a good idea to do?

Thanks for any help or orientation

Victor Aponte

If it's your first deal with them and don't have a previous track record of rehabs I would say it's not unusual to require some cash up front. What type of LTV's are they lending on? Are they also financing the whole rehab?

I think @Matt Lineberger has some products that might work for you.  Maybe he can chime in or you can send him a message.  

If the value is evident in the real estate property and you have a solid plan for rehabbing and exit strategy you can find a lender who takes the points (fee) upfront. Show them you have a good property, good plan and are ready to execute.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.