Zillow or realtor

7 Replies

I just have a quick question, if the numbers are wrong or are not even in the right price range on zillow and realtor. How do I estimate my own  purchasing price, and where and how would I get those numbers?

@Samuel Wynn network with local real estate agents.   An experienced agent can provide more detailed and accurate comps then Zillow or Realtor.com.

You need a real estate agent to do a BPO or CMA.

Those sites price estimates are not accurate, but any sold data that they collect should be. While working with an agent will obviously get you the best and most current information, I understand that most people will want to do some due diligence on their own before sending an agent every single property they come across to comp.

It is possible to do your own comps on zillow or trulia by looking at the actual sold data if you're careful to make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Sometimes those sites throw a rather wide net.

thanks everyone for the quick responses, I really didn't understand what I was supposed to do to get better numbers 

My family friend agent told me Realtor.com is as close as you can get to the MLS.

I use SOLD history in an area to estimate the comps (realtor) and use zillow to estimate rentals in the area.

Originally posted by @Samuel Wynn :

I just have a quick question, if the numbers are wrong or are not even in the right price range on zillow and realtor. How do I estimate my own  purchasing price, and where and how would I get those numbers?

Most counties have a website, where you can actually find the prices of sold homes. You should always use that as a starting point. When you decide to invest (research real estate in a particular zip code), this should one of the first things (websites) you need to locate.

You can find accurate tax information, sold information of neighboring homes, tax assessed values of homes, actually owners, ... etc. 

Always make sure to compare apples to apples ... or as close as possible.

If you want to do it without a Realtor:

Redfin.com

Type in address of the property. Note the beds, sq ft.

Scroll to the bottom, under solds is a button says "price this property" Click it

Add and remove properties until you have:

within .5 miles, Same beds/baths, sq ft +/-10%, last 30 days, if not enough last 60 days if not enough last 90, if not enough go up to 1 mile. 

If possible  stick to last 30 days and same neighborhood. 

Good luck!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here