Property data in spreadsheet format

4 Replies

What are some resources which will allow me to analyze large sets of sold and listed properties in an Excel format, other than the MLS directly? (I'm not an agent and would prefer not to bug one with data request for various parts of the country.)

I found that Redfin has a great "Download All" feature which exports information such as the following to a CSV format:

• Address
  • Square footage
  • Year build
  • Sale price

This would be nearly perfect, except Redfin does not cover all areas which I am trying to analyze.

So, are there any other options to be able to analyze property data like this without MLS access? I can't find a similar feature on Zillow, Trulia, or Realtor.com, but perhaps I've missed something.

(As a side ask, having the ability to get tabulated data for rent rates would also be helpful, but I realize that may be harder to come across in a clean format.)

Any suggestions you have for other websites or software to consider would appreciated!

Mike

@Mike Catalfamo I found a link here on BP called rentometer.com. I used it a few times as a guide with the other sites and then finally talking to some PMs about what I could get for rent. I compared it to other sites just to see how far off they were from one another, if they were far off.

Have you tried using the property appraiser to get the sold properties from a specific timeframe? My local appraiser office has a pretty good search and retrieval that I can download and put information such as what you speak of. Might be a good source to start with since they have the actual sales data.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Daria B. :

@Mike CatalfamoI found a link here on BP called rentometer.com. I used it a few times as a guide with the other sites and then finally talking to some PMs about what I could get for rent. I compared it to other sites just to see how far off they were from one another, if they were far off.

Have you tried using the property appraiser to get the sold properties from a specific timeframe? My local appraiser office has a pretty good search and retrieval that I can download and put information such as what you speak of. Might be a good source to start with since they have the actual sales data.

Good luck!

Thanks, Daria.  Rentometer.com is one of the tools I've tried out for rent estimation.  For the other info, did you mean going to the physical office or just one of the county appraiser websites?  I haven't been able to find any kind of bulk data download on those sites for the areas I'm considering, just the ability to search for individual properties.

Mike

@Mike Catalfamo

I was referring to the web sites. I live in Alachua county and their site allows download of data on any criteria like neighborhoods, parcels, sales dates, etc.

I've only come across one site from those that I search in Florida and MD that did not have the same download capabilities as Alachua county.

Mike, let me know what you find out because I am interested in the same thing as I would like to develop a way to visualize this information as well as analyze.  I plan on using Tableau which is a great software tool for visualization plus already has built in maps of entire U.S. along with lat/lon for all major geographic markers.  If you ever want to talk data, let me know.