Abondoned house

12 Replies

I found a house that looks abandoned, can't find the home owner of the property, was wondering if you guys had any clue on how I can find this person?, I search the property tax records and found a name but other than that the address on file is the same as the house, went I saw the house it looked like mail had not been collected for weeks, grass is pretty high up and according to what a neighbor said it has been abandoned

I have a few of those here. A couple did not have a separate owner address (it was the same as the house, like yours) - but the tax mailing address was different (and not a bank or escrow looking address, like it is sometimes). I still sent a letter to the house hoping it would be picked up at some point - but then moved on because of time. 

Tyler

Walker Enterprises

@Juan Perez

You said you searched the property tax for a name, are the taxes being paid? 

If so, whose paying them?

If not, there are probably tax liens on the property.

Hopefully the owner is not deceased inside. That's happened on more than one occasion from news reports I've seen in the past. Just in general.

Originally posted by @Daria B. :

@Juan Perez

You said you searched the property tax for a name, are the taxes being paid? 

If so, whose paying them?

If not, there are probably tax liens on the property.

Hopefully the owner is not deceased inside. That's happened on more than one occasion from news reports I've seen in the past. Just in general.

sorry meant I found the appraisal from the county office my bad, so yes I have no idea if taxes had been paid sorry for the misunderstanding

@Juan Perez

Since the public record owner's address is the same as the house address and the mail hasn't been forwarded, it sounds like the owner left with the intention to not be found (or deceased as Daria said.... I've seen that too.).  One of the best ways to find previous owners is by asking the neighbors but, again, since the mail is still in the box, the neighbors might not know anything either.  It's worth a try though.

You could also look in the public records for liens against the property.  If you can track down the lender, you might have some luck getting your foot in the door before they start the foreclosure.  It can take a long time to buy a house like that so be prepared to wait a long time for the process to be finished.

@Juan Perez

Then you might want to try the tax collector to see what's going on there. I've learned something about that recently and how tax liens are applied when the taxes aren't paid.

Did the neighbors give any timeframe on the absence? More than a year, etc?

Originally posted by @Michael Woodward :

@Juan Perez

Since the public record owner's address is the same as the house address and the mail hasn't been forwarded, it sounds like the owner left with the intention to not be found (or deceased as Daria said.... I've seen that too.).  One of the best ways to find previous owners is by asking the neighbors but, again, since the mail is still in the box, the neighbors might not know anything either.  It's worth a try though.

You could also look in the public records for liens against the property.  If you can track down the lender, you might have some luck getting your foot in the door before they start the foreclosure.  It can take a long time to buy a house like that so be prepared to wait a long time for the process to be finished.

where could I find those type's of public records??

@Juan Perez

I live in Florida and they have web sites for the property appraiser, tax collector, licensing, courts, etc all county or city sites.

That is the public records - you just need to find the web sites for the area you are looking to get this data.

county courthouse, recorders office, or assessor's office. That's how I find previous homeowners and their current address's in most case's when I deal with county tax auctions.

Do you know anybody that could do a skip trace?

Originally posted by @Juan Perez :
Originally posted by @Michael Woodward:

@Juan Perez

where could I find those type's of public records??

I'm not familiar with the public records system in your area but you could call the main number at your local courthouse and tell them what you're looking for.  They will likely be able to get you to the right department.  If they sound confused, ask them if the public records for your area are on the Internet.  If they say yes, ask them for the website. 

If that doesn't work, call a local title company and ask them.   They are in the business of finding this kind of information so if anyone can find it, they can.

@Juan Perez

You should try WWW.findtheowner.com they do charge a fee but they will find the owner

Good luck

Steve

Talk to neighbors for anecdotal tips on your target's affiliations with other neighbors, church, associations or interests.

Try searching their name online search engines.

Look at major social media

Reverse engineer the property title for hints at prior addresses

Look for clues of other relatives

Ancestry dot com may have an existing family tree posted or hints at relatives, ancestors, perhaps offsprings and siblings.

Skip trace techniques can go pretty deep. Online services, once subscribed, are great for cutting through many other steps.

I've been doing this for many years and mist people give up way too soon.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.