Phoenix Property decent cash flow but *slightly worried about the area

8 Replies

Hey Guys-

Wanted to solicit some advice if possible on the phoenix area townhouse i am looking to purchase.  I have run through the numbers and i will be cashflowing on the property for the purchase prices we have agreed to ($81,500 at about $900 per month in rent).

I have walked through the complex and spoken to neighbors who all seemed happy with the townhouse community (one even said it was his favorite place).  But upon doing a crime search of the area on trulia, I see about 4 assaults in the last month.  All of them are outside the townhouse complex, but it's a little concerning to me.

Any advice on this?  Any way to check an area and see if crime has gotten worse or better in past years?  Really want to cover all bases if possible.  

Thanks,

Kevin

Just check the local police and get the comparison from last year to current.

Originally posted by @Kevin B :

Hey Guys-

Wanted to solicit some advice if possible on the phoenix area townhouse i am looking to purchase.  I have run through the numbers and i will be cashflowing on the property for the purchase prices we have agreed to ($81,500 at about $900 per month in rent).

I have walked through the complex and spoken to neighbors who all seemed happy with the townhouse community (one even said it was his favorite place).  But upon doing a crime search of the area on trulia, I see about 4 assaults in the last month.  All of them are outside the townhouse complex, but it's a little concerning to me.

Any advice on this?  Any way to check an area and see if crime has gotten worse or better in past years?  Really want to cover all bases if possible.  

Thanks,

Kevin

If you don't mind giving us Phoenix area investors a little more specific idea of the location so we can help.

Thanks James-- did that today online and plan to give them a call tomorrow!

@Anthony Gayden --  It's a townhouse off hazelwood and 15th avenue.

Bumping this in case anyone else has some input.  I'd be happy to pass over info on the property and price if someone were interested.  So far i have walked the complex, spoken to locals and found some promising phoenix plans to revitalize the area.  Any other input is always appreciated though.

Originally posted by @Kevin B :

Thanks James-- did that today online and plan to give them a call tomorrow!

@Anthony Gayden --  It's a townhouse off hazelwood and 15th avenue.

That's a tough neighborhood BUT I believe you were right in the areas revitalization happening. I think your property's neighbors become your personal resource. 

Here's the thing about our market, you wanna cashflow? Don't think you're going to do it so easily outside the tougher neighborhoods. That area is very similar to others within our metro area. Lower priced properties that either cashflow or are close to cashflow are in tougher neighborhoods. Period. So what. 

If the deal makes sense to you, execute and profit. 

^ Good advice above-- thanks Nick!  

You didn't say whether it was north or south Hazelwood. I'd be fine buying in either, personally. 

Edited to add....looks like it's N 15th Ave. looks like a good buy to me. If you are comfortable in the neighborhood (everyone's comfort level differs), then I think you'll do great. Good luck!

If you talk to locals, and they are happy with the neighborhood, then you should not worry about it. I was recently going considering a multi-family in south Phoenix, but one of the tenants recently got their dog's cage stolen, and then the following day their dog got stolen as well. Although the deal was looking promising, I got concern with this type of problem affecting vacancy on the property. I think is great idea to walk around the neighborhood and try to talk to locals and get their impressions about the area. What they like and don't like about the area. This hep to make informed decision on the deal. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.