In my area, I'm finding a lot of homes that have been previously purchased by investors and rehabbed, and are often FSBO, owned free and clear. I also have the great fortune to be located smack dab in the middle of an area that is in the early, but identifiable, stages of gentrification. I have heard it said that, if you're planning on buy and hold, it's ok to pay a little more for your rental properties. So, my question is, is that true? And if so, how does that apply to the kind of situation I described above? What percentage of retail do you think would be fair for a home that is newly rehabbed and move-in ready?
Each market is different. Generally speaking, when I'm buying, I'm looking at something like this:
Hope that helps.
Happy Hunting!
Hi @Glenn Mayo - Buying a flip almost certainly means you are paying retail and then some, if the rehabber is worth his/her weight. I would personally concentrate on homes that need a little cosmetic love. Many of ours have needed paint/carpet/light fixtures, but are otherwise sound. Many retail buyers look past these, and you can purchase for 10-15% off retail without too much digging. If you haven't read The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller, I highly recommend it. He talks about acquisition costs for the buy and hold investor. Have a great day!
There is nothing wrong with the price you pay for a property as long as the numbers can cash flow and fit into your investment goals . Ft Worth has had strong growth and appreciation in values. I like your strategy in identifying up and coming areas and in the buy and hold arena has proved to be a winner Good luck
@Glenn Mayo, the trick is to not pay for FUTURE appreciation in advance. No need to remind Sellers that their area is on the up and up.
(Besides, what if it DOESN'T happen)?...
Interesting points, all. I definitely don't want to buy at retail, but I can't afford a major rehab. The "paint and carpet" variety is about as extreme as I can get at the moment, and that's because that's work I can do myself.
@JoannaWeber, I am EXACTLY in the middle of "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" now. I hope to finish it this weekend. Excellent book!
Here is a thought Glenn - have you considered trying wholesaling since you live in the area? This could be a good means to gain some experience, earn some 'quick' cash to build up for flipping or rentals.
Hi, Kelly! Yes, I've considered wholesaling, but the thing is, I need to first do two things 1) learn EXACTLY how to do it, and 2) learn how to REALLY identify good deals. There are enough bad wholesalers out there already making things difficult for good wholesalers. I don't want to be another one. And I want my name to be one buyers are glad to hear, not one they roll their eyes at. So...I'm taking Ben Leybovich's advice and studying.
On that score, since you're a hard money lender, could you explain to me how exactly that works? All the intricacies and ins and outs? If I want to do anything in real estate, sooner or later (probably sooner), I'm going to have to use hard money, so it'd be a good idea to have more than a vague idea of how hard money lending works. :)
There is no reason to overpay or pay over market for any property right now.
The market is coming back strong, but it's not that strong.
That being said, the property needs to make business sense for you and the return has to be acceptable. Otherwise, pass. Irrational exuberance will get you in trouble.
Each market is different. Generally speaking, when I'm buying, I'm looking at something like this:
Hope that helps.
Happy Hunting!
Each market is different. Generally speaking, when I'm buying, I'm looking at something like this:
Hope that helps.
Happy Hunting!
This is solid, excellent advice. I will be filing this away for further consideration and using it to guide my buying choices. Thank you very much!