Owning two rentals at 18

Owning two rentals at 18

Investor · Allenton, MI · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 9 votes

Only 18, and Currently have two single family homes in my name.

Bank Financed

Rental 1 ( Peck, Michigan ) cost $41,000. Rent $700.00--1.73% close to the 2% rule Owned since 7/15/2015 to date 5/22/2016 minimal costs. had the first renter 7/15/15-5/15/16 new renter signed 5/15/16-5/15/2017.

Bank Financed

rental 2 (Croswell, MI) cost $38,500.00. Rent 650.00-1.688%

owned 3/15/16. renter signed for 3/15/16 3/15/17

Furnace needs to be replaced just old.

sump pump just installed 5/12/16

minor upkeep nothing major

hopefully around 5/30/17 Will be refinancing on peck house next year.

dumping both rents on to the mortgage for peck house

4Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
10y

Great job! You must have been working hard all through high school to get a mortgage so young. Keep it up and keep growing. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2013 · 197 posts · 77 votes
    10y

    congrats, good start you are on your way very early!

  • Real Estate Professional · Glendora, CA · Member since 2016 · 203 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Congratulations !

  • Hollywood, FL · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 11 votes
    10y
    Congrats.. Good beginnings. Don't stop keep pushing
  • Professional · Covina, CA · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 15 votes
    10y
    That is awesome! I often think how I'd do things differently. Keep up the great work!
  • Investor · Sterling Heights, MI · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    Congrats, keep it up!

  • Suwanee, GA · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Who was your motivation?
  • Center Moriches, NY · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    How did you get your early start? I'm seeming to find it hard to get a mortgage at a young age and lower income but with a better down payment I'm hoping that will get me a mortgage.
  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Salute! I have questions about the bank financing. I'm 19 and just started getting into real estate and just started building my credit. So I imagine that the bank would give me a tough time trying to get a loan. Did you have a hard time with securing a loan?
  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    10y

    That is awesome! I wish I had that sort of responsibility and foresight when I was your age. Are you looking for another rental or what is your current focus? @Erick Michael Ford

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    congrats.keep it up

  • Penny ClarkPro Member
    Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 513 posts · 319 votes
    10y

    Congratulations Erick! Keep us updated!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    10y

    Great job! You must have been working hard all through high school to get a mortgage so young. Keep it up and keep growing. 

  • Investor · Allenton, MI · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Thank you everyone means a lot!

    @Derrick Lu Honestly my entire family does rentals and I know that I don't wan't to be forced to get up and work.

    @Jack Hatton When my grandfather passed he left me around $23,000.00 and I used that money on the down payment of the first Single Family Home. Even with this huge down payment the banks still did not wan't to give me a loan. I had no credit at this time. The only reason that I was able to get the loan was that my Mom Cosigned for the loan. 

    @Aaron Jones Honestly you will have a hard time, But don't let that stop you from moving forward. You need to get your credit score up first!

    @Jeff F. Of course I will be wanting to get another rental! I need about 8 months to be able to get the financing and refinance on one of the rentals to be able to get another one. I am attending college in Troy MI, I am doing the rentals for passive income.

    @Jake Thomas Trust me I did! thank you very much!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Erick Michael Ford

    This is awesome and sounds terrific. Getting started at such a young age is quite an achievement, and I am pretty sure that you will have a decent portfolio by the time you reach 25th birthday. Keep up the good work and keep adding! Since your entire family is engaged in REI, did you consider partnering with them?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Congrats! Don't lose focus and get complacent.. Best wishes moving forward!
  • Investor/Syndicator · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 470 posts · 599 votes
    10y

    Great work! Keep going strong. Nothing is more powerful than time when it comes to investing.

  • Investor · Allenton, MI · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    thanks everyone. don't worry i will not loose the drive! just need some time to advance in life, also be able to afford another!

  • Wholesaler · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    My first investment was land which proceeded to lose 90% of its value and I was smart enough to leverage to really get a smackdown.  I was 25.  Your route is a heck of a lot better and your numbers look great.  Congrats and keep up the good work.  

    My advice to you is to take it slow/steady and don't get overly leveraged.. Its really hard when you keep seeing deals not to want more and more but the stress isn't worth it. you'll lose your hair far too early.  Congrats again.

  • St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Wow, just wow. Excellent work. Be careful with all that debt though.
  • Ada, OK · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Oh wow ! That's inspiring ! Kudos !! 

  • Homeowner · New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Congratulations! That's amazing to know that another young person is going out there doing their thing despite what others our age are trying to do. Keep going and don't look back!

  • Rego Park, NY · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Kudos! Good strategy on starting early.

    Keep Rocking it!!!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Amazing!! 

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 303 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    Nice job! What's the cash flow if I may ask?

  • Ypsilanti, MI · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    That's amazing! Great Job!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.