• Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Votes |
Should I give up on this deal? Nashville

Luke Carl#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tennessee Florida
Posted Oct 18 2016, 06:42

Hello! I'm new. Closed on 2 deals this year one SFR and one vacation rental. Both of them are crushing it as far as I'm concerned but after spending too much time on these forums and going to REIA meetings I'm beginning to think I'm not shooting high enough.

Are the people at the REIA that want a minimum of 1.5% self managing or are they using a landlord that they have to pay? I'm self managing (i'm literally mowing lawns) at 1.3% and I am more than happy with it. Am I settling?

Madison, TN I found a deal on a jog last week. It's a 3/2 C+ B-  Needs an HVAC washer dryer and flooring (carpet in two bedrooms minimum for now). Needs a coat of interior pain and some siding fixed in the back. Will also need wheelchair ramp removed and a deck put on. To get it 100% and rent for a premium I'm guessing $10,000 with me doing the painting and most of the interior rehabing. Basically 5k for HVAC 4k for Deck 1k for CL washer dryer and pay some buddies of mine to help me rip out carpet and tear off the wheelchair ramp and paint. I love to sweat. 

Owner is asking 135k 

I think it could rent for 1450-1500 (I own a house on the same street from the same builder that rents for 1450 and I plan to raise it to 1550 although that one is a 3/3). 

It's been sitting there for a month. The Son of the owner is staying in it as she recently went to an old folks home. The son has no interest so I asked him many questions. He said his mom is ready to sell right now and he wants to move back to Atlanta tomorrow. 

From what I'm gathering, to get someone to go 50/50 with me (oh yeah did I mention I'm out of cash?) I'd  need to get this thing for something like 90,000, put in the 10k and rent it for 1500. Is that about right? 

Is anyone going to accept an offer 45,000 under asking price? I can't turn on the TV without seeing a house flipping show that takes place in Nashville. I am glad to see things have slowed down tremendously in the past 3 months especially on the east side. But have they slowed down 45,000 worth? 

What would make this a decent deal and how can I find a partner? Is hard money a terrible idea? Should I bother making an offer of 90k? 

Please show me the ways oh wise ones! 

Loading replies...