Real Estate seminars? Paying for mentors?

6 Replies

Ive attended a few real estate seminars (don't know if i should mention these companies) but every seminar is willing offer mentor training. I see a lot of value for a rookie like me to learn from a mentor but these big name companies are asking between 30k-50k..... for a mentor. Has anyone done this before... please let me know your intake on real estate seminars and paying for mentors. And if you had alternative ways of finding a mentor to learn from?

Just search BP for “gurus” because that’s basically what you’re describing. Nothing wrong with attending seminars or paying for good content but you should likely avoid anything that costs 25-30k.

For 30k-50k, you can get a 4 year college education. I'd personally skip seminars and gurus/mentors for that kind of money. That is down payment money and is better used towards getting a deal. If you need a mentor, try going to REIA meetings and watching BP podcasts and reading books. Save your cash. Real mentorship doesn't cost that kind of money.

This post has been removed.

30k is at the very least gap money. network, network, network, until you find someone who is doing deals frequently, is short on capital, and will let you look over their shoulder.

I agree with the others.  There are a number of good ways listed above to find a mentor.  They only bad way listed above is paying for one.  Don't do it! 

Watch the webinars, listen to the pod casts, read books, read the forums, go to REI meetings locally, post and vote for good posts on here, and generally network. I say to post and vote for good posts on here because I've gotten several colleague requests just from doing that. Once you are colleagues, you can start some social interaction and sometimes ask to run something by them. But this place is chock full of knowledge! I already owned 3 rentals when I joined at a friend's urging and doubled my knowledge in the first week of being active on here. But then, I'm on here like ALL the time. lol

Definitely go to local meetings to network.  Find someone you hit it off with who works deals like you are interested in.  After building a relationship (like several phone calls, e-mails, and maybe even some lunches), tell them you're impressed with them and love hands on learning and that you'd love to help them out for the opportunity to learn something from them.  Most people don't turn down free help.  ;-)

There are a lot of helpful people on here, but they also get sick of folks looking for easy answers.  Don't just ask a questions.  Research.  Almost anything you want to know (such as this question  ;-) ) has already been asked.  Even if you are unclear or unsure, when posing a question, people are a lot happier about answering if you can show that you've been trying to find the answer yourself.  :-)  

One final tip, never ask someone on here to be your "mentor."  I have no idea why, but a lot of folks shy away from that word on here.  Just ask if you can ask them a couple of questions or tell them you're unclear about something or would like their opinion on a deal you're considering or whatever.  

Good luck!

Someone that makes you pay for mentorship isn't a mentor.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here