• Rental Property Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
House Hack in Bay Area/San Jose?

Justin Madison
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Posted Jan 7 2018, 21:09

Should I house-hack or continue to rent?  I always heard of the house-hacking idea and never thought it possible for someone like me, since I live in the very expensive San Jose, CA and always thought the numbers would never get to positive cash-flow since real estate prices are so high here.  But, I gladly stand corrected.  Thanks to @ScottTrench and his book Set For Life, where he clearly and concisely outlines the numerous benefits to house-hacking and created a spreadsheet to analyze Renting vs. Buying a SFR vs. House-Hacking. I have used the spreadsheet he created to analyze a potential 4-plex purchase for $1,100,000, and found that with a 20% downpayment of $220,000, and a conservative estimate of collecting $6,050 per month in rent ($2,016 x 3 units, while living in the 4th), one could not only live for free, but have a positive cash flow of $8,382 per year while living for free. Not too shabby. I'm considering this strategy, and I'm interested in your thoughts. Just so you know our rent situation, we rent a 2 bed/1 bath condo for $1,650 per month. We have very kind, generous, God-fearing landlords that like us since we take good care of their place and pay rent on time. The condo is enough room for us for the next few years since my wife is just pregnant with our first child.

I will post the spreadsheets with the numbers below.

Loading replies...