First Tax Lien Property Purchase/Sale

First Tax Lien Property Purchase/Sale

Rental Property Investor · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 235 posts · 135 votes

Investment Info:

other investment.

Purchase price: $5,150
Cash invested: $5,150
Sale price: $8,700

I bought a piece of land using a tax lien strategy. The land was valued at about 11k but because of the tax lien strategy I was able to purchase it for around 1k with additional costs coming such as lawyer fees and paying off the liens. I ended up selling the property for 8,700 dollars which helped me cash in about 3k. This was my first real estate sale! Very proud

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I read and learned a lot about tax lien strategies and thought it was very interesting considering I didn't have that much money to spend. Using this strategy I was able to buy a piece of land for almost half the price of its value and sell it off at a higher amount. It is a great way for people with less capitol to get involved with real estate.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I find this deal using Tax Lien Delinquency lists from counties in upstate NY.

How did you finance this deal?

My personal cash

How did you add value to the deal?

No value added and nothing to fix! greatest part about buying land

What was the outcome?

Made a profit of 3.6k

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Get lawyer insurance though my main job. Helps a lot with ROI

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

No, i worked completely alone

2Reply
16 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @David Flores congratulations. Keep up the good work.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @David Flores That's a great deal!! I initially started my REI research in tax liens at auction. I got scared off from other parties being on the lien (another family member, rehab company, etc.) and reclaiming the property after I would have thrown down the money. I suppose a very thorough due diligence process could reveal that. If you don't mind me asking, what was your due diligence process like?

  • Rental Property Investor · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 235 posts · 135 votes
    7y

    @Shawn McGarity, so I actually did not invest in tax liens. My strategy was a little unique. What I did was I got the tax delinquency list for a county in Upstate NY. With this list I sent out mailed letters describing that I would buy the piece of land and take care of the liens on the property. Because of this I am able to get extremely low prices on the piece of land because for the current owner it is literally just debt. So when they hear the option of getting rid of all the liens plus making a little money some people are excited about it. This strategy is strictly for land, because people do not have emotional attachments too it (another reason why you can buy a piece of land using this strategy for 500-1k dollars). Most of the time this land is handed down from a death in the family, was an investment opp that didn't work out, or sometimes it is literally forgotten about. Once you get the piece of land and negotiate successfully the due diligence is pretty simple, make sure the land is suitable to build on (go visit the property) and make sure the deed is under the current owner. 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @David Flores Thats very creative!  And thats a good point you make about it having to be land due to the emotional connection a home would have.  I may have to look into this option.  

    And heck, it could possibly be a great opportunity for me to finally get my own land for recreational purposes.  Thank you for sharing your experience and how you landed this deal!

  • Rental Property Investor · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2016 · 235 posts · 135 votes
    7y

    @Shawn McGarity, yeah man let me know if you have any questions. Its a great strategy too if you don't want to spend all your capital. 

  • Specialist · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    Love your approach to this, David. Congrats!

    Probates are also great places to find unwanted vacant land leads. 

    I'd highly recommend checking these out because a lot of times, the executor's phone number can be found on the probate document. Give them a call and work your magic!

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.