Thoughts on Investing in Abington, MA

3 Replies

There has been a ton of development and renovation to the town of Abington, MA. I heard there is land being bought out for new development and such. I was wondering if investing in Abington be worth now and/or in the future....thoughts?

@Thomas Phu I've done business in Abington, and it's a good town.

Home prices there are moderate, with the cost for an 3/2 SFR ranging from $251K (REO needing rehab) to $489K.

It's close enough to Boston for commuters to drive, plus there's MBTA Commuter Rail access.  Lots of nearby shopping, dining, etc.  According to www.ADT.com/crime, the crime rates there are well below average.

I'd avoid the areas that border Brockton though.  I sold my Pastor's home there a few years ago - about a thousand feet from the Brockton line.  He took a price hit of about $30K as a result of that location.  I'd recommend that you stay 1/2 mile or so to the east.

@Thomas Phu I don't think that's a universal truth.  There are deals on the South Shore, but it takes two things to find them:

1. Persistence.  You have to keep at it.  We're still in an ultra-strong seller's market.

2. Readiness.  Have your financing completely buttoned up and ready to go at a moment's notice.

Do those two things and you'll vastly improve your chances of finding a deal with sufficient meat on the bone.