What goes into calculating the CapEx in a deal analysis?

What goes into calculating the CapEx in a deal analysis?

Peter KortyPro Member
Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 20 votes

Hi BP Community,

I'm a total newbie to real estate investment game and I've been analyzing a few deals. My question is, what do you all including as a CapEx in your deal analysis?

CapEx should include everything that has a lifespan right? So for example, according to Google, a dishwasher has a lifespan of about 10 years, a garbage disposal is about 8 years, and an air conditioner is about 12 years.

Sticking with the dishwasher example from above, at my local big box store, the mid range model of dishwasher is about $600 dollars. So $600/10 years/12 months = $5 per month of CapEx for the dishwasher. I did this with everything in my personal residence that has a lifespan and came up with about $150 per month of CapEx.

Since I'm totally new to this, I conservatively estimate that I can get $600 per month in rent, so 25% of my rent is a CapEx. When I entered this into the BP buy and hold calculator, it actually gave me a warning that it should be a percentage of the monthly rent instead of the monthly amount.

What are your thoughts? Does this sound about right?

Thanks for the help,

Pete

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 132 votes
6y

@Peter Korty

Hi peter,

You definitely have the premise, but don’t forget labor/installation.

I mostly have 120 year old 1600-2000 sqft duplexes and figure my cap ex at between $300 and $350 per month. I think I started with a calc I found on here and adjusted for my market as I had to pay for some of these repairs. Assuming a property is similar to what I’m used to I’ll just plug my $325 in or adjust accordingly.

Also I know this was just part of the example, but I don’t put disposals in my rentals because I’ve heard a few horror stories about what can be sent down them by tenants (aquarium gravel and boot mud were my favorites).

Best of luck and to your success!

-Justin

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Peter Korty There is a spreadsheet in the files section called cap ex by @ sam tato. There might be something you might have missed.  Yes for sub $1000 per month properties the % will be higher. It's always better to analyse each property for capex. That is why it is so hard to cash flow low monthly rent properties.

  • Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
    6y

    Major home repairs are typically included in CapEx as well, for example replacing roofing. Keep in mind that C & D class neighborhoods tend to need more major repairs than A & B class neighborhoods, so the allocated percentage will fluctuate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 269 votes
    6y

    @Peter Korty you’re doing it correctly. You also may want to consider would be the actual age of the component. I do it for each property I individually analyze and usually come in around $150-250 range. Maybe a bit higher for multifamily bc you generally have more roof area and double, triple, quadruple the components.

    But this also begs the question: Does this property that you’re going to rent for $600 actually have a dishwasher? Most affordable housing options I’ve come across do not have a ‘luxury’ appliance like a dishwasher.

  • Peter KortyPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

    So would you say that when you analyze a property, it is almost always specific to that property? You wouldn't just generalize things like the CapEx?

    Thanks for the help,

    Pete

  • Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
    6y

    Correct.  It will be property specific.  however for quick analyzations 8% to 12% is generally acceptable.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 132 votes
    6y

    @Peter Korty

    Hi peter,

    You definitely have the premise, but don’t forget labor/installation.

    I mostly have 120 year old 1600-2000 sqft duplexes and figure my cap ex at between $300 and $350 per month. I think I started with a calc I found on here and adjusted for my market as I had to pay for some of these repairs. Assuming a property is similar to what I’m used to I’ll just plug my $325 in or adjust accordingly.

    Also I know this was just part of the example, but I don’t put disposals in my rentals because I’ve heard a few horror stories about what can be sent down them by tenants (aquarium gravel and boot mud were my favorites).

    Best of luck and to your success!

    -Justin

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    These are the items I include for CapEx expenditures. I tend not to include appliances.

    - roof

    - HVAC

    -windows

    - major electrical

    - major plumbing

    - siding

    In general I don't look at unit turnover type issues as cap ex.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Shores, AL · Member since 2019 · 107 posts · 115 votes
    6y

    @Peter Korty

    I will vary based on property specifics but as a starting point, I’ll use 1% of asset value per year or 10% of gross rent, whichever is greater.

    If it’s an older asset, I may adjust upward. A brand new house will be lower.

    Example: I have a house worth $100k that rents for $1200/month.

    1% of $100k would be $1000/yr in opex.

    10% of gross rent would be $120/month or $1440/yr in opex.

    If the house was built in 1928 and has deferred maintenance, I might double the highest number.

    If the house is brand new I might cut the lowest number in half.

    The more experience you get, the more intuitive it will become.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Noto:

    These are the items I include for CapEx expenditures. I tend not to include appliances.

    Why don't you include appliances? In my view it'd be nice to toss $5/month towards the new stove when I do finally need it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    6y

    @Peter Korty

    For my basic evaluations I start with $200/month for a new(ish) duplex or SFH. For a giant, sprawling 4 family with a roof that I can see needs repairs immediately I'll bump that up to $400/month.

    Once I figure it is worth pursing I take the actual items and calculate the total just as you did.  Roof will be 25k and last me 25 years (1000/year or 83.33/month).  Add everything up and you get the specific Cap Ex number you can plug into a spreadsheet for in depth evaluations.  Most residential places will fall between $200 and $400 per month.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    Lenders typically calculate $250-$500/unit (lower being new construction/newly renovated and the higher being older with little no renovations)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.