Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gillotti
Votes |
Offer accepted but numbers run incorrectly

Tom Gillotti
Posted May 29 2020, 10:31

I have an accepted offer on a 4 unit property for $300,000 (310 Hallcock St, Pensacola if you want to take a look). The property needs some work ($80-$95k estimate... contractor going out next week). All units are occupied (I know... not a good sign, right...). 

So, I had previously been told by my realtor that total rents were $4000/mo ($1200 each for the two larger units, $800 each for the two smaller units). This was the only information I had to go off of so it's what I used (hindsight...). I based my offer on these numbers with the assumption that I would have room to increase the rents once rehab was complete (planned to be done to each unit over the next year as leases expire). 

Well, today, after asking several times for rent history, I was shown the current rents for all units... and it's actually $3575 total. 

I tried to explain to my realtor why that is such a big deal and completely changes the value of the property to me as an investor. 

Her plan is to wait for the inspection to be done and bring up the issue then and see what we can work out. My thought was to set the anchor for further negotiations with the reasoning being the information about the rents (which likely came from the seller's agent, although that's unverified). I don't want to pay $950 for inspections on a property if the deal has no more room for negotiation on behalf of the seller... they did accept the first offer of $300k when it was listed for $350k but it had been on the market a long time.

I do believe that the inspection will already give us reason to go back to the negotiating table as I've already seen the inspection the seller has had completed. What I don't want is to try to negotiate two separate issues at the same time. 

Would you push back and have the agent being up the issue with rents now or wait until inspection is complete and do it all at once?

I appreciate any insight that can be shared here!

Loading replies...