Please evaluate this deal

Please evaluate this deal

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I have been doing real estate as a retirement strategy off and on for about 20 years on a very small scale. My only form of investing was a small company with other investors doing buy and hold. Last year I had an opportunity and bought the house next door to me. The income ratio stinks but here is the deal. I paid 111K$,(it appraised for $118K) and seller paid $1K of my closing costs. I paid less than $1000 out of pocket to close. I put 1K$ in paint, faucets, etc. doing all the work myself. I rented it for 825$ a month. The bank loaned me about 83,500$ at 5%, but the seller financed 27k$ at 2% interest. I pay the bank 640$ a month and the seller $200 a month for a net loss of 15$ per month, plus I pay insurance and property taxes out of pocket, for about 800$ per year. Both loans are on 15 year amortizations. The tenant pays all utilities. It is a very nice 4br 2ba, and should rent very quickly if I lose my renter for about $800 per month. My biggest problem has allways been coming up with the 20% down to buy. The seller has a ballon note in 5 years and will have a remaining balance of $17K and my amortization on my bank loan will be at $66K giving me allmost exactly $17K in available equity to borrow on and stay at or below 80% equity. I can pay the mortgage payments if it goes empty but when filling out my yearly fiancial form for the bank I began to worry about my debt load for borrowing for more rentals as I come up with the 20% down for new acquisitions. I can do most maintenance my self, can change hot water heaters, unplug drains, and have even installed a few simple furnaces, but I have a handy man who I also use especially for laying carpet and tiles etc. I was so happy to buy with no money down I took it knowing it was a negative cash flow. What do you think?

0Reply
7 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    What is the property worth today??

    On pulling out equity banks are real stingy on LTV so you might not get much at all. If you have sizeable equity then you could 1031 into another property with more upside.

    Some people I know bought in Phoenix in 2009 and their properties have gone up about 50% in value and they are selling and 1031'ing into something else.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Joel Owens its worth about $118K to 120K. I figure I need to hold fpr 5 years to make any money.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 28 votes
    13y

    Hey Jerry, you bought it with barely any money invested. It is a great deal. With such a small net loss per month, I think it is a great investment and you'll probably stand to gain a lot of equity in the next few years. If you work out the returns on money invested it is going to be tremendous. Good job!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.