New guy need help with rental

4 Replies

Hello fellow BP members, I am a new investor hoping to get started soon in the rental property side of things. I have found what I believe is a good deal. Could yall take a look at my numbers and see if they seem right. The property is a duplex with 3 bed 2 bath and a 1 Bed 1 Bath. The 3/2 is currently being rented for 2100/mo. The 1/1 is vacant but according to rentometer and the bpinsight tool I should be able to get 1200/mo for it. Got a quote for insurance that came in at 2080/yr. The only thing is the current owner is paying for the utilities, If i purchase this property I will install separate meters and make the tenants pay utilities. Take it easy on me please lol its my first time.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Hello Gustavo, I saw that you didn't account for management fees. Your vacancy is a bit low as well, I would go with 6%, as well as your CAPEX unless the house will be fully rehabbed I think it's a bit low as well. Best of luck to you.

Originally posted by @Eduardo Reyes :

Hello Gustavo, I saw that you didn't account for management fees. Your vacancy is a bit low as well, I would go with 6%, as well as your CAPEX unless the house will be fully rehabbed I think it's a bit low as well. Best of luck to you.

Ok yes I was thinking that was a tad low on vacancy but I remember hearing 3% somewhere before. Both homes have been renovated recently and appear to be in very good shape. I didn't add management fees because I plan on self managing.

Even though you may plan on managing the properties right now, I would still add the management fees in case later on you do plan on hiring a property manager later in the future. And you know that it still makes sense. I would run the numbers to with a higher percentage on your cap ex to see if it still makes sense.

Originally posted by @Eduardo Reyes :

Even though you may plan on managing the properties right now, I would still add the management fees in case later on you do plan on hiring a property manager later in the future. And you know that it still makes sense. I would run the numbers to with a higher percentage on your cap ex to see if it still makes sense.

Ok I understand, thanks for your input. I am interested on COC ROI trying to get as close as possible to a 10%. At what point would the deal not be worth the hassle in your opinion?