FSBO, Seller Finance, 0% down, 0% interest, what could go wrong!?

FSBO, Seller Finance, 0% down, 0% interest, what could go wrong!?

Jehon BendokasPro Member
Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 19 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $150,000
Cash invested: $900

FSBO, Seller-financed, 0% down, 0% interest BRRRR-to-be. Tenants will be out soon to begin the remodel. This will be my first remodel from a distance (previously I've done all my own work). Remodel budget is $40k baseline with up to $60k for contingency expenses.

Hoping to market to University of Arkansas students and hoping to rent for $1800+

5Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
4y

@Jehon Bendokas the only problem I see is the IRS doesn't allow 0% interest. The seller will be stuck paying taxes on interest income due to imputed interest rules. They are kind of screwed when the IRS catches them. If you care about these people, have them talk to a tax professional before they file taxes and straighten this out. 

Looks like a great deal though!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Surf City, NC · Member since 2017 · 648 posts · 597 votes
    4y

    Congrats on your deal! How are you paying for the rehab? What is the ARV? Are you going to refinance into long term debt and pay the seller off? Sorry I have so many questions haha

  • Real Estate Broker · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 50 votes
    4y

    Seems like you got a great deal! 

  • Jehon BendokasPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    @Sean McDonnell - this was my first time posting a deal at the beginning of the process! 

    Paying for the rehab - I just did a cash-out refi on one of my other properties that is providing me with $20K of buffer. I plan to take out a $40K American Express Personal Loan out to fund a majority of expenses. Amex provides a 0% Interest loan to active duty military members as a "thanks" - I've used it a couple times now. Repayment is 3-5 years generally. It's a fantastic product but I think their personal loans are "by invitation", so sometimes it's available, sometimes it's not.

    After rehab I plan to rent out the property then cash-out refinance and pay off the seller. I am using $260K for ARV which should allow me to get most/all original debt out of the deal.

    @Michael Ward fingers crossed - hoping my napkin math is accurate!

  • Rental Property Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 59 votes
    4y

    Is there a Balloon payment?  How soon you gotta pay that thang back?  That sounds like a pretty nice deal to me!!! How did you go about negotiating this?  Tell me your secrets!!!!  HAHA!!!!

  • Investor · Pahrump, NV · Member since 2021 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    That seems like a heck of a deal. I tried this a few times with no luck. I would love to know how you landed this deal.

  • Jehon BendokasPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Reid , @Jonathan Hernandez - no balloon payment. I know the people who own it very well, they know I'm an investor and I know what they paid for it. The home was originally purchased 7-8 years ago for them to rent a place to their son. They purchased the home for $78K cash. Although the home is mostly updated it is what I would call a "handyman special". The materials are all lower-end consumer-grade, e.g. cheap laminate, painted panelling, etc. Their son believed that it would sell for $180K through a realtor friend of his and I broke down the costs to them. They were planning on paying their son a large lump sum of money (from the profit of the home). After I explained that after a 6% commission, cap gains on the "investment property, income tax (to be reported by the son) that it would be more economical for them to sell it to me for $150K with no realtor. They agreed. I was willing to seek conventional financing, however I asked the question, "would you be willing to finance it for me, aka act as the bank," since they owned the home free and clear, they were willing. I told them I would appreciate if they provided me a lower interest rate and they scoffed and said "we aren't going to charge you interest." 

    Realistically, this is a $130K home needing help to make it rent-ready. I didn't want to low-ball, I didn't want to make them feel like I was ripping them off. Because at the end of the day - they could have sold an overpriced fixer-upper to some out of town investor who can afford smaller margins in exchange for long-term appreciation. That isn't me, yet!

    The agreement is $1000/mo until the loan is paid in full - I gave them verbal assurance that I would not take 150 months to repay them, that I would be refinancing it within the first 2 years, hopefully. 


    I know I had a pre-existing relationship with these folks, however, the important underlying lesson is that forming and maintaining trustworthy relationships is extremely important. I find a way to talk about real estate investing with almost every person I interact with. I want to plant that seed in their mind for when they have a property to get rid of, they can seek my guidance or assistance - whether I buy it or not. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    @Jehon Bendokas the only problem I see is the IRS doesn't allow 0% interest. The seller will be stuck paying taxes on interest income due to imputed interest rules. They are kind of screwed when the IRS catches them. If you care about these people, have them talk to a tax professional before they file taxes and straighten this out. 

    Looks like a great deal though!

  • Investor · Pahrump, NV · Member since 2021 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    That's an amazing deal! Relationships are definitely important in this business. Great information thanks for sharing.

  • Jehon BendokasPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    @Joe Splitrock thanks for this - I’ll look into it!

  • Real Estate Broker · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 50 votes
    4y

    @Jehon Bendokas I was going to mention the interest rate problem as well. There is a minimum interest required, and it's pretty low (but changes). Talk to a CPA. You'll want to get that straightened out. 

    Also, I suspect you won't seek a property manager, but if you decide you do want a PM, the company I'm at is really good at getting top of market rents. Good luck!

  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 65 votes
    4y

    @Jehon Bendokas

    Well done! As mentioned by others, the sellers need to talk to their CPA about the 0% interest. Other than that - good luck with the rehab! I love Northwest Arkansas - I’m originally from Rogers!

  • Contractor · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Jehon, looks like a solid deal!  Congrats!!!!  

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Congrats @Jehon Bendokas ! 

  • Jehon BendokasPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    @Michael Ward I will be looking for property management

  • Real Estate Agent · Westchester, NY · Member since 2021 · 77 posts · 35 votes
    4y

    There has to be some consideration for the contract - even $1. 

    Why are they giving the cow away for free?

  • Jehon BendokasPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    @Shanna Vataj what do you mean by consideration?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.