Walk Throughs of duplexes, what questions should I ask?

Walk Throughs of duplexes, what questions should I ask?

Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 4 votes

I'm doing a walk through of a Duplex that I might be purchasing this Wednesday, and I want to know,, what types of questions should I be asking, 

1Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

@John Boyd

Depending on the state you live in, Title/recording is done by a title company or attorneys.

You should know if there are tenants currently living in the property - What are they paying for rent and are they up-to-date on payments.
Find out all the information regarding the condition of the house - What is the condition of the Roof, HVAC system, appliances, countertops. Get a good estimate of the costs that needs to be fixed or the life remaining on them.
Like if you know the roof is 10 years old...estimate the amount of years it has left.
A roof replaced 1 year ago is better than a roof replaced 15 years ago.

You should know the comps of the duplex.

Good luck on your walk-through!

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • York, PA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @John Boyd Honestly, that could be a very long or very short list based on what you already know about the property. Can you provide what due diligence you have already performed/what you already know? Which pieces of the home buying process are you most comfortable with and least comfortable with?

  • Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Ok, what I know about Due Diligence is; the title should be handled by the title company, Right? that includes the Document inspection as well, tomorrow I 'm doing the first walkthrough with inspector on board, I will be asking sellers disclosures, and tax returns, I've seen the current leases tenants pay for their own utilities, I'm told security deposits will be in escrow, and deposited into my account of choosing, what else should I know?

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @John Boyd

    Depending on the state you live in, Title/recording is done by a title company or attorneys.

    You should know if there are tenants currently living in the property - What are they paying for rent and are they up-to-date on payments.
    Find out all the information regarding the condition of the house - What is the condition of the Roof, HVAC system, appliances, countertops. Get a good estimate of the costs that needs to be fixed or the life remaining on them.
    Like if you know the roof is 10 years old...estimate the amount of years it has left.
    A roof replaced 1 year ago is better than a roof replaced 15 years ago.

    You should know the comps of the duplex.

    Good luck on your walk-through!

  • New to Real Estate · Iowa City, IA · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    Ask seller's agent for - list of recent updates, rent rolls, current leases

    Look at - layout of the house (does it work long-term), storage space, plumbing (look under sinks and around toilets for water damage), signs of settling and framing issues, slope of landscaping, roof and gutters, washer/dryer hook-up

  • Rental Property Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @John Boyd

    Thank you for starting this thread. Best of luck through you on your walk through! I just got my pre approval letter from my credit union, and am getting ready to make an offer on a duplex that I'm looking to House Hack this weekend. Would be very interested in connecting and helping each other on this journey. 

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 741 posts · 845 votes
    6y

    @John Boyd, you will want to know who utilities are handled! Are the units separately metered or does the owner pay for utilities! How is yard maintenance being handled? Of course as others have stated you need all the due diligence documents. Rent rolls, lease agreements, tenant ledgers, repair reports etc! 

  • Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Ok, right now it seems we have some roof damages, foundation cracks, gutter damages, what should I do, walk away?

  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    Have you run the property through the BP calculators? They will allow you to see if these big ticket items still allow the property to be a good deal. If the numbers don't work, I would just walk away especially if the items were not previously disclosed. There might be other items the current owner is not telling you about. There are plenty of good deals out there. Remember there is a house on every corner. Be patient and ready to jump on the great deals. Just my gut, but I bet over the next few months we are going to be seeing some FANTASTIC deals come to the market!

    Best of luck either way!

  • NC · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @Leonard Sanford Jr Hi Mr. Sanford. I'm glad you made this post.. i dont have a credit union account, should i get one for mortage purposes? I been with a bank for over 10 years, i did a pre approval but i havent heard anything back from the back , and its been over a month they still havent called me back about my pre approval applciation. All my co workers seem to be with SECU

  • Rental Property Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2020 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Ashley Mitchell Hi Ashley! Based on the discussions I've had with my dad, agent and countless others in the BP community, Credit Unions typically offer better terms and rates on mortgages. Since I opened my first checking/savings accounts a few years ago, I have always been with a CU thanks to proper parental guidance. 

     I'm so sorry that you're experiencing some difficulty with your bank and getting your pre approval letter back. Once I submitted the application, I worked with the Loan Officer (LO) and my agent and I both had a copy of the letter in less than a day. I'm not very familiar with North Carolina as a whole, but if there are reputable credit unions in your area I would say they're certainly worth a shot. Also, you don't necessarily have to be a member of the CU in order to apply for a mortgage/loan with them. I hope this helps! If you need any other support please don't hesitate to reach out :) 

  • NC · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @Leonard Sanford Jr Wow, Thank you ! I will surely go ahead and open an account ! Thank you informing me of that information

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 192 posts · 104 votes
    6y

    @John Boyd, make sure you confirm what the property is zoned for. Some duplexes I've come across are illegally zoned. For example, some homeowners try to convert a single family residence to a duplex without getting city approval. However, some older properties are legal nonconforming which is a fancy way of saying they are grandfathered in. 

  • Property Manager · Boise · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    To add to the list of things to consider, I would make sure that you go through the existing leases and make sure that everything is accounted for before closing.

    We recently bought a 4plex and, because they were annoyed that we did not hire them, the existing property management company was a bit reticent to communicate with us after the sale. I would make sure that you have:

    - Existing leases. Read and understand them.

    - Contact information of existing tenants.

    - An understanding of the security deposits and how they will be transferred to you.

    - Any move-in checklists or paperwork. You want to know what they are and are not responsible for upon move-out and possible assessment of damages.

    - Cleaning specifications from the lease - again because it might impact their move-out. Did the management company collect some sort of non-refundable carpet cleaning fee that would be used when they moved out? If so, I would argue for that to be credited to you.

    That is not a comprehensive list, but you get the idea.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2018 · 95 posts · 44 votes
    6y

    @John Boyd   You need to run your numbers factoring in all the issues that have been discovered with the inspection. If it still makes sense then go ahead with the purchase. If not move on. To go back to your initial question your realtor should be able to request all the needed info so you can make a decision. (rent rolls, leases, expenses and repairs paid, tax, insurance,...)

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    I am thrilled to see this thread.  I just went into contract with my first duplex.  Now I have already found 2 mistakes I made when I ran the numbers.  I thought I was putting down 20% and now found out for multi family I need 25% down.  I was also purchasing a For Sale by Owner and paying my realtors commission out of pocket.  I thought it was a bit less and that I could roll it into the mortgage, but it will need to be paid up front along with the downpayment. So I am now looking at tying up more cash than I anticipated.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.