Best CRM Software to use for REI?

Best CRM Software to use for REI?

Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 300 posts · 417 votes

Hey BP community! I'm looking into CRM software options, and I'm curious as to what everyone uses/recommends. I'm familiar with Hubspot, but I'd like to know what other CRM software to consider for use with REI.

Thanks in advance!

7Reply
97 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

Totally comes down to your business's needs and personal preferences. I use ActiveCampaign and used Contactually in the past. I use ActiveCampaign even though its CRM is not the best, because the automation features are fantastic and easy to use. It also integrates very smoothly with Wordpress. I prefer to have as much of my information as possible located in one package, rather than having multiple packages talking to each other through complicated Zapier workflows.

I discussed this with @Greg Dickerson in an interview and he uses the basic Microsoft Outlook/Excel suite, and it works well for him. Goes to show that investors at the highest levels just need the tools that work for them, and it doesn't need to be the fanciest, most feature-laden software package out there.

Still others use Podio, which has a truly insane amount of customization options. I don't use it because it was just too much customization for me. I wanted more built-in structure, because I'm not in this business to be a web developer!

In my opinion, the steps to figuring it out should be:

1) Write down the functions and features you want a CRM to have. Then identify your top 5 priorities.

2) Make a list of CRM packages - it's been discussed on BP a number of times, so you can build a list based on that. Hit Google as well

3) Do as many free trials as you can stomach. With many of them you might decide in literally the first 10 seconds they're not the right fit. You'll probably get it narrowed down to two or three. Pick one and commit to it!

If you really commit to it, you can certainly make a decision within 1-2 weeks.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Totally comes down to your business's needs and personal preferences. I use ActiveCampaign and used Contactually in the past. I use ActiveCampaign even though its CRM is not the best, because the automation features are fantastic and easy to use. It also integrates very smoothly with Wordpress. I prefer to have as much of my information as possible located in one package, rather than having multiple packages talking to each other through complicated Zapier workflows.

    I discussed this with @Greg Dickerson in an interview and he uses the basic Microsoft Outlook/Excel suite, and it works well for him. Goes to show that investors at the highest levels just need the tools that work for them, and it doesn't need to be the fanciest, most feature-laden software package out there.

    Still others use Podio, which has a truly insane amount of customization options. I don't use it because it was just too much customization for me. I wanted more built-in structure, because I'm not in this business to be a web developer!

    In my opinion, the steps to figuring it out should be:

    1) Write down the functions and features you want a CRM to have. Then identify your top 5 priorities.

    2) Make a list of CRM packages - it's been discussed on BP a number of times, so you can build a list based on that. Hit Google as well

    3) Do as many free trials as you can stomach. With many of them you might decide in literally the first 10 seconds they're not the right fit. You'll probably get it narrowed down to two or three. Pick one and commit to it!

    If you really commit to it, you can certainly make a decision within 1-2 weeks.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 300 posts · 417 votes
    6y

    @Taylor L. Thank you so much. This is super helpful, and I appreciate you mentioning what I should be thinking about and prioritizing during my process of looking at CRMs! 

  • Developer · Salem, MA · Member since 2018 · 83 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    I use Hubspot. Which I have used in the past for different businesses as well. It works well customization and automation wise for our needs. I saw you mentioned you are familiar with it already so I won't elaborate too much. There are other software products out there for larger RE investment businesses that have a CRM component among other pieces. Juniper Point is a popular one.

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    FollowUpBoss and/or DealMachine

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 300 posts · 417 votes
    6y
  • Real Estate Broker · Hollywood, FL · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    I second @Taylor L.'s mention of the need to prioritize your features when considering which CRM to use. I'd add to this that it's probably good to choose a CRM that has sensible pricing tiers. This way, you're not paying for something you don't need. 

    I use Active Campaign, and (in a nutshell) it's great if your priorities are email automation and price-point.  

    While other posts have mentioned its merits and flaws, one of the things I find comforting is their pretty-reasonable tiered pricing. The basic level is very affordable, which is nice but when I dial in my marketing and prospect tagging a bit more than at present, I'll be happy to upgrade. 

    I've tried Hubspot in the past but wasn't ready to make full use of their features and so found it expensive for what I WAS using. Good luck with your choice!

  • Real Estate Broker · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hi RU! I've just signed on with Wise Agent and so far enjoy the ease, integrations and navigability of its platform! Before this, I used Top Producer for years but found it clunky and a tad outdated.

  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth A. Pasternak:

    I second @Taylor L.'s mention of the need to prioritize your features when considering which CRM to use. I'd add to this that it's probably good to choose a CRM that has sensible pricing tiers. This way, you're not paying for something you don't need. 

    I use Active Campaign, and (in a nutshell) it's great if your priorities are email automation and price-point.  

    While other posts have mentioned its merits and flaws, one of the things I find comforting is their pretty-reasonable tiered pricing. The basic level is very affordable, which is nice but when I dial in my marketing and prospect tagging a bit more than at present, I'll be happy to upgrade. 

    I've tried Hubspot in the past but wasn't ready to make full use of their features and so found it expensive for what I WAS using. Good luck with your choice!

     Great point. Hubspot is a good software package but the price point is rather high compared to other options.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Account Closed while this may not be exactly what you were asking for as it's not exactly a CRM, I utilize Appfolio and a host of other systems but appfolio is the 1 system I need and would be really screwed without. 

    I use PhraseExpress in conjunction with appfolio to create pre-canned communications that save my untold hours per day/week. 

    If your not managing properties this will not apply but if you are, it is "the" communication hub for tenants and vendors if properly utilized. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 300 posts · 417 votes
    6y
  • Marc DeLeonibusBusiness Member
    Lender · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    I started using CallTools to manage an outbound calling campaign and I'm really impressed with the features it has built into it.  With that said there is a learning curve to set it up.

    My personal favorite CRM is Close.com but they do not have as good of a dialer as CallTools IMO.

  • Investor · West Monroe, LA · Member since 2015 · 196 posts · 70 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed I use Trello and it has been perfect for me. It's also a customizable type of CRM, but fairly simple to set up. I don't mind sharing my setup if you want to PM me. The app works very well, so It's ideal since I often add properties while on the go.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 300 posts · 417 votes
    6y

    Hey @Austin Works, wow, I didn't think about using Trello as a CRM! I already use it for basic kanban board task planning. That's genius. I just looked up how to use Trello for CRM purposes, and I'm loving what I see. Thanks! 

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 903 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Account Closed Three things when picking a CRM, business need, cost and ease of use. Which one means the most to you? Or do you want a balance? 

    We currently own Monday.com (project mgmt), Pipedrive (acting as CRM), and Mailchimp(communication). We use Zapier to integrate between. The pricepoint of Pipedrive is quite low, offers automation and acts as good CRM syncing contacts with email.

    Still, I am actively looking into integrating and simplyfing all three into either a Monday.com CRM board or ActiveCampaign. 

    As mentioned, I like to evaluate based on the need, the cost and ease of use. Buying something cheap that doesn't fit the need won't help but buying something expensive that isn't easy to configure or use, example Podio, Airtable, Asana ; might also warrant consideration.

    Who will use the product? How good are they at configuration, design, technology, etc. What is the budget? What is the business need?

    All useful to consider :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 300 posts · 417 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Chris Levarek, that's super helpful! I like that focus on need, cost, and ease of use. I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

  • Realtor · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    I use Follow Up Boss. It has all the features I need. The action plans are worth the price of admission.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Springfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 641 posts · 204 votes
    5y

    @Rachel Underwood I have a friend who has an amazing Podio system. Lead Management, Acquisitions, Disposition, KPIs etc. Let me know and I can connect you to my friend Ali.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 300 posts · 417 votes
    5y

    Hey @Jose Castillo, thank you, I really appreciate your offer. I think we've narrowed down what we're going to use. If we ever decide to change in the future, I'll definitely consider reaching out to you about that!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    I am sure that someone has mention it by now. If not, Podio! I have been using that with my team for about 8 months now and it is amazing! Considering that we use the free version and the amount of things it allows you to do. The paid version is not that expensive, but the free version fits our needs for now. The program is very easy to use and allows you to customize to your liking! I hope that helped! Good luck!!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Orlando Florida · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    I agree that Podio is very robust. It allows you to start small and scale as your business grows. And the big kicker is that you are not tied down to a canned product that you have no control of the design. I’ve been using it for over 8 years now. 

  • Wholesaler · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 46 posts · 85 votes
    5y

    @Chris Levarek

    I'd actually be curious to hear about your experience with Monday.com

    What do you think of it, and have you had any experience with other project softwares?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Springfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 641 posts · 204 votes
    5y

    @Rachel Underwood okay great. Thanks for reaching out

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    5y

    You can use hubspot or zoho. 

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 903 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Jeremy Davis I like Monday.com for it's ease of use, automation and customizability. Mainly I think its easy for anyone to pick up and lot of potential to customize. Partnering is easy and you can share boards with outside vendors with ease. 

    Of course you are limited on certain features unless you buy the next level up, examples include limited number of automations, unable to lock board access, etc.

    Additionally, prices are purchased every 5 licensed users. So if a small team, could make more sense to purchase a project management tool that is a per user license.

    I've used Podio, Airtable, Jira and Microsoft Teams for Project Mgmt. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 300 posts · 417 votes
    5y

    Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.