Best CRM Software to use for REI?

25 Replies

Hey BP community! I'm looking into CRM software options, and I'm curious as to what everyone uses/recommends. I'm familiar with Hubspot, but I'd like to know what other CRM software to consider for use with REI.

Thanks in advance!

Totally comes down to your business's needs and personal preferences. I use ActiveCampaign and used Contactually in the past. I use ActiveCampaign even though its CRM is not the best, because the automation features are fantastic and easy to use. It also integrates very smoothly with Wordpress. I prefer to have as much of my information as possible located in one package, rather than having multiple packages talking to each other through complicated Zapier workflows.

I discussed this with @Greg Dickerson in an interview and he uses the basic Microsoft Outlook/Excel suite, and it works well for him. Goes to show that investors at the highest levels just need the tools that work for them, and it doesn't need to be the fanciest, most feature-laden software package out there.

Still others use Podio, which has a truly insane amount of customization options. I don't use it because it was just too much customization for me. I wanted more built-in structure, because I'm not in this business to be a web developer!

In my opinion, the steps to figuring it out should be:

1) Write down the functions and features you want a CRM to have. Then identify your top 5 priorities.

2) Make a list of CRM packages - it's been discussed on BP a number of times, so you can build a list based on that. Hit Google as well

3) Do as many free trials as you can stomach. With many of them you might decide in literally the first 10 seconds they're not the right fit. You'll probably get it narrowed down to two or three. Pick one and commit to it!

If you really commit to it, you can certainly make a decision within 1-2 weeks.

I use Hubspot. Which I have used in the past for different businesses as well. It works well customization and automation wise for our needs. I saw you mentioned you are familiar with it already so I won't elaborate too much. There are other software products out there for larger RE investment businesses that have a CRM component among other pieces. Juniper Point is a popular one.

I second @Taylor L. 's mention of the need to prioritize your features when considering which CRM to use. I'd add to this that it's probably good to choose a CRM that has sensible pricing tiers. This way, you're not paying for something you don't need. 

I use Active Campaign, and (in a nutshell) it's great if your priorities are email automation and price-point.  

While other posts have mentioned its merits and flaws, one of the things I find comforting is their pretty-reasonable tiered pricing. The basic level is very affordable, which is nice but when I dial in my marketing and prospect tagging a bit more than at present, I'll be happy to upgrade. 

I've tried Hubspot in the past but wasn't ready to make full use of their features and so found it expensive for what I WAS using. Good luck with your choice!

Hi RU! I've just signed on with Wise Agent and so far enjoy the ease, integrations and navigability of its platform! Before this, I used Top Producer for years but found it clunky and a tad outdated.

Originally posted by @Elizabeth A. Pasternak :

I second @Taylor L.'s mention of the need to prioritize your features when considering which CRM to use. I'd add to this that it's probably good to choose a CRM that has sensible pricing tiers. This way, you're not paying for something you don't need. 

I use Active Campaign, and (in a nutshell) it's great if your priorities are email automation and price-point.  

While other posts have mentioned its merits and flaws, one of the things I find comforting is their pretty-reasonable tiered pricing. The basic level is very affordable, which is nice but when I dial in my marketing and prospect tagging a bit more than at present, I'll be happy to upgrade. 

I've tried Hubspot in the past but wasn't ready to make full use of their features and so found it expensive for what I WAS using. Good luck with your choice!

Great point. Hubspot is a good software package but the price point is rather high compared to other options.

@Rachel Underwood while this may not be exactly what you were asking for as it's not exactly a CRM, I utilize Appfolio and a host of other systems but appfolio is the 1 system I need and would be really screwed without. 

I use PhraseExpress in conjunction with appfolio to create pre-canned communications that save my untold hours per day/week. 

If your not managing properties this will not apply but if you are, it is "the" communication hub for tenants and vendors if properly utilized. 

I started using CallTools to manage an outbound calling campaign and I'm really impressed with the features it has built into it.  With that said there is a learning curve to set it up.

My personal favorite CRM is Close.com but they do not have as good of a dialer as CallTools IMO.

@Rachel Underwood I use Trello and it has been perfect for me. It's also a customizable type of CRM, but fairly simple to set up. I don't mind sharing my setup if you want to PM me. The app works very well, so It's ideal since I often add properties while on the go.

@Rachel Underwood Three things when picking a CRM, business need, cost and ease of use. Which one means the most to you? Or do you want a balance? 

We currently own Monday.com (project mgmt), Pipedrive (acting as CRM), and Mailchimp(communication). We use Zapier to integrate between. The pricepoint of Pipedrive is quite low, offers automation and acts as good CRM syncing contacts with email.

Still, I am actively looking into integrating and simplyfing all three into either a Monday.com CRM board or ActiveCampaign. 

As mentioned, I like to evaluate based on the need, the cost and ease of use. Buying something cheap that doesn't fit the need won't help but buying something expensive that isn't easy to configure or use, example Podio, Airtable, Asana ; might also warrant consideration.

Who will use the product? How good are they at configuration, design, technology, etc. What is the budget? What is the business need?

All useful to consider :)

I am sure that someone has mention it by now. If not, Podio! I have been using that with my team for about 8 months now and it is amazing! Considering that we use the free version and the amount of things it allows you to do. The paid version is not that expensive, but the free version fits our needs for now. The program is very easy to use and allows you to customize to your liking! I hope that helped! Good luck!!

I agree that Podio is very robust. It allows you to start small and scale as your business grows. And the big kicker is that you are not tied down to a canned product that you have no control of the design. I’ve been using it for over 8 years now.