Most affordable, cash flowing, non appreciating, RE in US?

Most affordable, cash flowing, non appreciating, RE in US?

Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes

In what markets can you buy 50k-60k SFH's? 3 bed, 1-2 bath. I'm looking for homes that are rent ready. In C neighborhoods/working class. No war zone. With a demand for rentals. Cash flow is my plan. Is this possible anymore? If so, let me know your thoughts.

7Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Member since 2020 · 31 posts · 18 votes
5y
Originally posted by @Eli Webb:

In what markets can you buy 50k-60k SFH's? 3 bed, 1-2 bath. I'm looking for homes that are rent ready. In C neighborhoods/working class. No war zone. With a demand for rentals. Cash flow is my plan. Is this possible anymore? If so, let me know your thoughts.

Upstate NY(rochester, buffalo, syracuse), ohio (dayton)  st. Louis

See this reply in the discussion

48 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Eli Webb Cleveland Ohio is a great market but they are starting around 75k-80k.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Eli Webb:

    In what markets can you buy 50k-60k SFH's? 3 bed, 1-2 bath. I'm looking for homes that are rent ready. In C neighborhoods/working class. No war zone. With a demand for rentals. Cash flow is my plan. Is this possible anymore? If so, let me know your thoughts.

    Hi Eli, Cleveland, OH would be a good place to check out in that price range.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Zeke Liston

    Hey Zeke,

    Yeah Cleveland is a great market I have a team in place to be successful there. I own one SFH in that market. But you can't find any SFH's that are rent ready for 50k-60k anymore.

    What about Columbus. Is that achievable?

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Eli Webb I'm a newbie looking to invest in the Cleveland area, do you mind sharing your reliable team? I would like to find some great boots on the ground. Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Martha Rodriguez

    Shoot me a DM.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    I'm looking for similar in the same market. I'd be interested in chatting with you guys. @Eli Webb and @Martha Rodriguez

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Eli Webb The Great Lakes region (AKA Rust Belt) and the Deep South. $50,000 - $60,000 can be done, but if it’s not in a war zone it will go fast, and usually to a cash buyer.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Hulen

    Hey Jonathan,

    Thanks for this.

    Any markets that you would care to elaborate on?

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Eli Webb:

    @Jonathan Hulen

    Hey Jonathan,

    Thanks for this.

    Any markets that you would care to elaborate on?

    I can only give input on the markets i’m in. I have two properties. One in Indianapolis, and one in South Bend, Indiana. Indy is a very solid market with lots of projected growth. Unfortunately this makes it very competitive and is appreciating making deals harder to find. But if you can get something, I think it’s likely to continue appreciating. 

    South Bend is a smaller city, and doesn’t have the economic outlook that Indy has. Population is projected to grow but very slowly. It’s not declining, but not really growing either. It’s strictly a cashflow play. Although prices have been rising because of the lack of supply caused by covid. But I don’t believe there’s much fundamentally that can sustain the growth. It’s less competitive, but still a sellers market for sure. Rental rates are comparable. 

    Have you considered buying smaller 2 bedroom SFR's? This is what I like. Both of my properties are 2/1 sub 800 square feet. They are not as desirable, because most investors think they won't be attractive to tenants. But, I've found just the opposite. Some small families are in the market for a 2/1 apartment, because they're on a budget. Then when they see 2/1 house with a yard they're willing to pay a couple hundred more for it. It's never taken me longer than 3 weeks to find a tenant. If you're trying to get something under $70,000 in a solid neighborhood, a 2 bedroom will be more realistic. Also less square footage means less CAP EX. Cheaper to buy, and cheaper to maintain. I love small houses.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Eli Webb  sure you can. I just sold a nice SF rented for 1k on Shadeland   for 53k, 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Eli Webb:

    @Zeke Liston

    Hey Zeke,

    Yeah Cleveland is a great market I have a team in place to be successful there. I own one SFH in that market. But you can't find any SFH's that are rent ready for 50k-60k anymore.

    What about Columbus. Is that achievable?

     That's great! Yes, you can do well in Columbus. You're likely going to give up some cash flow but it's appreciating pretty rapidly. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Eli Webb

    Syracuse, NY. You can find 50k properties in decent class C streets. Definitely need to do your homework though.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Gary Indiana, Tulsa, Oklahoma City

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Hulen

    Thanks for the insight, Johnathan! That’s also a really cool perspective about the 2/1. I never thought about it that way. And actually I’ve always thought about it the way most people do (the way you described)

    I will definitely look into those areas.

    Thanks again, Johnathan!

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Zeke Liston

    Thanks for the confirmation. That’s what I’ve been hearing... let’s have a chat.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Nick Rutkowski

    Yes! Thanks for the tip. I will do some research!

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Carlos Ptriawan

    Very helpful! Thanks so much.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 471 posts · 462 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Eli Webb:

    In what markets can you buy 50k-60k SFH's? 3 bed, 1-2 bath. I'm looking for homes that are rent ready. In C neighborhoods/working class. No war zone. With a demand for rentals. Cash flow is my plan. Is this possible anymore? If so, let me know your thoughts.

    We are seeing extremely low inventory in OKC, I saw a house pop up, small, dumpy, C Class for 125k, so without doing some serious digging, the bottom line is quite a bit more than 60k. If it's in that price range, it tends to be in a less favorable condition or area. 

  • Ben ScottPro Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 579 posts · 351 votes
    5y

    Yes, I'd agree with Forrest that Oklahoma City has appreciated rapidly in the last years. The median sales price has jumped 15% since January 2018 and some areas have appreciated 10% in the last 6 months. There are pockets of south OKC where you can find rentals for $50-60k but there's a ton of cash buying competition from old school landlords who scoop those up off market.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    You can still buy good 60k-70k house in Gary for 60-80k and rent it out for 900-1K today.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Bob Stevens

    That is such a great price. I will look in to this as well. Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Forrest Faulconer

    Yeah, my goal is to stay under 100k price point until I get some good C- flow.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Ben Scott

    Cash is king. I will check out OKC. Thanks for the tip.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Carlos Ptriawan

    Someone else said that too. Gary, Indian?

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Eli Webb

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.