Coronavirus Conversation

User Stats

Votes
Brian W.
Votes |
Tenants Moving Out Due to Coronavirus

Brian W.
Posted May 14 2020, 14:17

Hello all, my wife and I recently got the following email from one of our rental properties.

Per the advice from our Property Manager, we are pretty sure we are going to let them out of the lease, move them out as soon as possible, and get new tenants in. My questions revolves around the back rent. 

Now, we feel bad for the tenants that they lost their jobs, but at the same time we are running a business here and we are torn about the 2.5 months that we have not received rent. On one hand, this is a difficult time for everyone and we can sympathize with them. On the other, they will eventually get their stimulus and unemployment checks to start rolling in, and we can't help but feel like they are taking advantage of the situation and paying their rent and breaking the lease.

What would you do in this situation and if you decided to pursue getting the missing rent, I'm guessing it would be taking them to small claims court? Any other options we haven't thought about? 

If it matters, this property is in Southern California and they have only been in the property for about 1.5 years. They are always late by a day or two to pay their rent in the past. 

Good afternoon,
My husband and I have been talking and we are wondering if there is a way to get out of the lease due to the circumstances. We would love to stay here but unfortunately we are now so deep in a hole that we are struggling to get out. [NAME] still hasn't heard anything about the PUA loan or PPP loan and the debt is just stacking up with no income coming in. We are now forced to leave and move in with our parents until we can get back up on our feet. We are already two months behind that we will owe on rent and we do not want to put ourselves in anymore hardship and we do not want to leave the owners in a bad position either. We would like to leave on good terms and allow them to find someone who will be able to pay the rent. I understand that we have 12 months to pay the rent we have missed so I also want to figure out how that will work. Maybe whatever is left of the security deposit after inspection can be put toward the rent that we are late on? Please get back to us and let us know what we can do. We are really stressing out. Again, we just want the ability to leave on good terms since we are no longer in a good place due to this pandemic and we would rather leave willingly than eventually have to be evicted.

Loading replies...