Would you double think renting to someone with big dogs?

Would you double think renting to someone with big dogs?

Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello! I have a person interested in my rental. It's a nice home with engineered wood floors and laminate throughout the home. Applicants have two big furry dogs. Can't remember the breed right now, but are not an aggressive kind, just heavy weight, and I can imagine all the hair.  The family was recommended by a friend and has spoken highly of them and pets.  I am in the process of checking their background, etc but if they qualify, would you still recommend I look into other tenants that don't have big dogs? I have been told by someone to be very careful as they can damage doors and floors.

Recommendations?

0Reply
135 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y

Just no. Although we are animal lovers, we will not allow any pets in any of our properties. Just an accident waiting to happen.

Now a lot of people on here will cite statistics saying that X % of families own pets and by not allowing pets you are losing that percentage of renters. I don't care. I've never had a problem renting any place I ever owned. EVER.

So just say no and move on, you don't need these renters, there are plenty of renters out there that would love to rent your house. Why take a risk, especially with big furry dogs.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    4y

    @Laura Martinez is it part of your rental screening criteria? If not and they applied in good faith, you'd be taking their app fee. They should know up front. I personally would set a weight limit for the reasons you listed in addition to prohibited breeds based on your insurance

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I have not listed the property, this was just word of mouth. I have never rented the home with pets over 10 lbs. This is the first time I am considering it. What do you think? Wondering what experiences others have had in these kinds of situations.

  • Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 274 posts · 191 votes
    4y

    Hi,

    This is definitely a decision of personal preference. Big dogs can be more well behaved than smaller dogs and less yappy. However, there is the chance that if the dog gets bored or is being destructive it can chew up your cabinets or trim etc. Their nails damaging the hardwood floor is also  a real concern. In my opinion I would take the time to meet the dogs. I think you can tell a lot about how well behaved they are if you interact with them. I definitely do not think they need to be written off completely just because they are big dogs.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Just no. Although we are animal lovers, we will not allow any pets in any of our properties. Just an accident waiting to happen.

    Now a lot of people on here will cite statistics saying that X % of families own pets and by not allowing pets you are losing that percentage of renters. I don't care. I've never had a problem renting any place I ever owned. EVER.

    So just say no and move on, you don't need these renters, there are plenty of renters out there that would love to rent your house. Why take a risk, especially with big furry dogs.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    We have a tenant with a Mastiff. She's a good tenant and I expect she'll keep the dog under control. We have pet policies but not based on size, just breeds. We do charge pet fees and rent and that should mitigate any damage or cleaning that's required. We used to have a no pet policy but one way or another critters always wound up in the house. We have one property that was destroyed by cats. (lots of cats). By destroyed, I mean it's going to be off the market for at least a year... We're still cleaning cat xx%# off the walls. The floors are now down to the slab.

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I appreciate all your feedbacks! It's true, why take the risk with so many renters out there? And then again, you have the example of John which are small pets.  I just considered it because the family was recommended by someone I know. Otherwise, I would only take a tenant with a small pet. I'm not sure how I'd get out of this if they qualify since I haven't listed the house yet (so no other tenants to compare with), and they've received the application. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Laura Martinez:

    I appreciate all your feedbacks! It's true, why take the risk with so many renters out there? And then again, you have the example of John which are small pets.  I just considered it because the family was recommended by someone I know. Otherwise, I would only take a tenant with a small pet. I'm not sure how I'd get out of this if they qualify since I haven't listed the house yet (so no other tenants to compare with), and they've received the application. 


     1) Don't take friends as renters. 2) Don't take any dogs. You're asking for extra problems in both cases.....

    You asked....

  • Laveen, AZ · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 528 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Laura Martinez:

    Hello! I have a person interested in my rental. It's a nice home with engineered wood floors and laminate throughout the home. Applicants have two big furry dogs. Can't remember the breed right now, but are not an aggressive kind, just heavy weight, and I can imagine all the hair.  The family was recommended by a friend and has spoken highly of them and pets.  I am in the process of checking their background, etc but if they qualify, would you still recommend I look into other tenants that don't have big dogs? I have been told by someone to be very careful as they can damage doors and floors.

    Recommendations?


     As another mentioned, I confirm what breeds are restricted by the landlord policy and not allow them. This will eliminate many large dogs. Dogs big and small can damage property. The real concern is the liability of them hurting someone or another animal. 

    I also cosign what Bruce said by not renting to friends or their associates. Think about how tough it'll be when it's time to raise that rent, or when they think it's cool to pay you late because you're their friend and will understand. 

  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Don't rent to friends unless you see it as a charity and expect no rent.

    I love collecting pet fees and deposits. Many many of my tenants have had pets and it has been extremely profitable for me. Sure there's more wear on the house if the dogs are bigger, but I've never found this to be excessive. I just take $200 - 300 out of deposit and replace the baseboard in the corner they kept the kennel or whatever.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    It really depends on the dogs and the owners.  I have one tenant who has a cat and the place is fine, but for the other places I say no pets.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    I have a renter with two very large dogs. I have her security deposit as well as a pet deposit for the two dogs. I'm lucky because the renter is very clean and responsible. I just renewed a lease with her for the 4th year.......do the background check, call past landlords etc.

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes
    4y

    It's definitely a personal preference that has pros and cons. My initial response to it is "no" because it's word of mouth and the hassle with untrained pets. Then I thought about some of the dog owners I know that live in my apartment building and how well trained they are. Things go smoothly. If the dogs are well trained then I would say yes but if they're not then no. I would think about what would be your requirements and expectations are before signing a lease. I would charge a pet fee as well. This can cover any damage that is done. Make sure you have a written lease documents that thoroughly explains what happens if the pet damages the property and what the requirements are for living on that property. You want your friend to know the expectations that need to be met. 

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 719 posts · 313 votes
    4y

    Yes I would unless you have no action on the rental and need the dogs to keep her rented .

  • Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I personally think more like you Mose. Although anyone can say their dog is well trained and then they really aren't. At the end, my husband hinted he was concerned about being 60-100 lbs dogs and so they decided to keep looking elsewhere. It's tough to find a place that is willing to rent with two big dogs. Thank you all so much for your input! I appreciate it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.