Skip to content
Tenant Screening

User Stats

Votes
Katy Schlueter
Pro Member
Votes |
Tenant Advice: A. Great, B. Good, C. Hmmm...

Katy Schlueter
Pro Member
Posted Nov 2 2022, 07:10

Hi everyone,

I'm currently processing my first ever application for our rental property.  Three guys want to lease for 1 year: Guy A great credit, makes 2.5X rent, no eviction/crime/lien record.  Guy B credit meets our requirement, with a little digging I believe he could prove that he makes at least the other 0.5X rent, screenings clean.  Guy C no credit, no income, claims to be on disability unable to work and has been living for free for two years on the other guys' dime, screenings clean.  I've met the first two guys who at first meeting presented as responsible young adults.  I did not meet the third.  

Questions: Am I within my rights to request they leave Guy C off the lease?  With no credit or a job, he doesn't qualify.  He's fine to live there, I just don't want him to be under contract with me to provide the rent payment.  Am I making sense?  Am I missing anything?

Also, am I within my rights to ask more about his disability?  Can I ask if he poses harm to others?  (If it's a mental disability, the place is a duplex and I'd want to ensure the safety of the other tenants.  If it's a physical disability, the property is what it is, we can't afford to put in ramps, etc.)  Would I ask him directly or Guy A/B?  Or am I walking a fine line for discrimination?

Anyone have any advice?  What would you do?

Thanks so much!

Loading replies...