Baby not disclosed on tenant profile as 5th occupant

Baby not disclosed on tenant profile as 5th occupant

Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 23 votes

We had someone fill out a tenant profile with zillow and they listed 4 occupants.   Met them at the property today and they showed up with 2 young teenage girls and a baby.   Apparently babies are not considered occupants and they must have known that?   But it really burns me  up that someone can be that sneaky.   Had someone try to sneak in a husky service dog last week.  I told the people with the baby I would have to check with my septic guy to see if my septic could handle that, which is true.   But it really makes me think not to rent to someone who is underhanded from the get go.  I have a legit reason to turn them down as they said their credit wasn't that great.  But am I just being sensitive here?   Does this happen a lot?   

1Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 239 posts · 120 votes
1y

Hey @Carol Burns Ok, honestly, that's not sneaky. Babies are not considered legal occupants, and HUD guidelines protect families with children. Denying someone because of a baby could cross into fair housing issues.

The real focus should be on their credit picture and rental history. Are you actually running their credit? If they don’t qualify under your standards, that’s a valid reason to decline. But babies and dogs are comparing apples with oranges, two different categories, and babies don't create extra septic strain. Diapers and wipes shouldn't be flushed (I'm sure they know this), and that’s an education/lease issue, not a disqualifier. I’d keep it simple and base the decision on their credit and rental qualifications. Otherwise, you risk creating other issues for yourself.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 239 posts · 120 votes
    1y

    Hey @Carol Burns Ok, honestly, that's not sneaky. Babies are not considered legal occupants, and HUD guidelines protect families with children. Denying someone because of a baby could cross into fair housing issues.

    The real focus should be on their credit picture and rental history. Are you actually running their credit? If they don’t qualify under your standards, that’s a valid reason to decline. But babies and dogs are comparing apples with oranges, two different categories, and babies don't create extra septic strain. Diapers and wipes shouldn't be flushed (I'm sure they know this), and that’s an education/lease issue, not a disqualifier. I’d keep it simple and base the decision on their credit and rental qualifications. Otherwise, you risk creating other issues for yourself.

    • Joe S.Pro Member
      Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Lateefah Mathews:

      Hey @Carol Burns Ok, honestly, that's not sneaky. Babies are not considered legal occupants, and HUD guidelines protect families with children. Denying someone because of a baby could cross into fair housing issues.

      The real focus should be on their credit picture and rental history. Are you actually running their credit? If they don’t qualify under your standards, that’s a valid reason to decline. But babies and dogs are comparing apples with oranges, two different categories, and babies don't create extra septic strain. Diapers and wipes shouldn't be flushed (I'm sure they know this), and that’s an education/lease issue, not a disqualifier. I’d keep it simple and base the decision on their credit and rental qualifications. Otherwise, you risk creating other issues for yourself.


       babies and dogs are comparing apples with oranges, two different categories

       I do agree with your statement concerning babies and dogs….There are some people that appeared to have a higher degree of happiness toward their dog..🐕 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    @Lateefah Mathews  Every human living in a house is an added drain on the septic system . More laundry , more baths , more toilet flushes .  Yes a baby adds to the septic use . 

    You can limit the number of persons living in the house . 

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    They all sneak in extra people and pets. lol. I just look the other way. These people stay for many years and are paying off my mortgages while giving me good cash flow. An extra person or pet won’t put me over the edge.

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I don't ever entertain someone with less than stellar credit so that solves most problems. And while I can't speak to the legality of it I would not be happy if a prospective tenant didn't add their baby as an occupant which is particularly important to know in older places that may have lead paint. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.