TransUnion “Unable to Verify Identity” for New 18-Year-Old Applicant (DoorLoop)

TransUnion “Unable to Verify Identity” for New 18-Year-Old Applicant (DoorLoop)

Investor · Ohio, USA · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 31 votes

Hey Team,

Quick tenant screening question for the landlords and PMs in here.

I’m an investor who has used third-party property management in the past, but I’m now managing one of my own rentals directly and tightening up my screening process.

Here’s the situation:

A prospective resident applied, and her son recently turned 18. Since I require every adult occupant (18+) to apply and be screened separately, I had him submit his own application through DoorLoop (which runs screening through TransUnion).

When I attempted to run the screening, TransUnion returned an error stating they were unable to verify his identity.

For those of you who’ve seen this:

  • Is this usually caused by a thin or non-existent credit file (no credit cards, no banking history, no utilities in their name)?
  • Or is it more commonly due to incorrect info (typo in SSN, DOB mismatch, address history not matching, etc.)?

Also curious what your process is when this happens:

  • Do you have them re-run the application with corrected info?
  • Do you request a copy of ID + SS card to confirm details?
  • Do you use an alternate screening method for young adults?
  • Or do you simply treat it as a red flag and move on?

Appreciate any feedback. Trying to build a clean, repeatable process for this going forward.

0Reply
242 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5mo

If he is going away to college, I'd just go off the mom. If he is just living with his mom and not being responsible for rent, I would ask them if he plans to live in the apartment and if so, will he be working or going to a local college? If he will be living in the unit,  I would have him complete an application so you get his social and ask for his school transcripts and references, especially former teachers or employer. If his records and references indicate that he is a good kid, I'd go off the mom's credit/background and add him as an "other occupant"

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo

    If he is going away to college, I'd just go off the mom. If he is just living with his mom and not being responsible for rent, I would ask them if he plans to live in the apartment and if so, will he be working or going to a local college? If he will be living in the unit,  I would have him complete an application so you get his social and ask for his school transcripts and references, especially former teachers or employer. If his records and references indicate that he is a good kid, I'd go off the mom's credit/background and add him as an "other occupant"

    • Investor · Ohio, USA · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 31 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Jill F.:

      If he is going away to college, I'd just go off the mom. If he is just living with his mom and not being responsible for rent, I would ask them if he plans to live in the apartment and if so, will he be working or going to a local college? If he will be living in the unit,  I would have him complete an application so you get his social and ask for his school transcripts and references, especially former teachers or employer. If his records and references indicate that he is a good kid, I'd go off the mom's credit/background and add him as an "other occupant"


      Quote from @Jill F.:

      If he is going away to college, I'd just go off the mom. If he is just living with his mom and not being responsible for rent, I would ask them if he plans to live in the apartment and if so, will he be working or going to a local college? If he will be living in the unit, I would have him complete an application so you get his social and ask for his school transcripts and references, especially former teachers or employer. If his records and references indicate that he is a good kid, I'd go off the mom's credit/background and add him as an "other occupant"


      Jill - I invest down the road from you- this one is in Cleveland!

      I was able to get his credit, criminal and eviction history results by him submitting some extra documents to the credit bureau.

      Just out of curiosity, when you have someone who is an "other occupant" are you having them sign the lease as well, receive notification when rent is (past) due, etc... or just noting for your records that they have x number of occupants living in the house?

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Remi Oguntoye:

    Hey Team,

    Quick tenant screening question for the landlords and PMs in here.

    I’m an investor who has used third-party property management in the past, but I’m now managing one of my own rentals directly and tightening up my screening process.

    Here’s the situation:

    A prospective resident applied, and her son recently turned 18. Since I require every adult occupant (18+) to apply and be screened separately, I had him submit his own application through DoorLoop (which runs screening through TransUnion).

    When I attempted to run the screening, TransUnion returned an error stating they were unable to verify his identity.

    For those of you who’ve seen this:

    • Is this usually caused by a thin or non-existent credit file (no credit cards, no banking history, no utilities in their name)?
    • Or is it more commonly due to incorrect info (typo in SSN, DOB mismatch, address history not matching, etc.)?

    Also curious what your process is when this happens:

    • Do you have them re-run the application with corrected info?
    • Do you request a copy of ID + SS card to confirm details?
    • Do you use an alternate screening method for young adults?
    • Or do you simply treat it as a red flag and move on?

    Appreciate any feedback. Trying to build a clean, repeatable process for this going forward.


    We require every adult to apply that is NOT a legal dependent of another adult occupant as proven via tax returns.

    This addresses the issue @Jill F. alludes to. 

    • Investor · Ohio, USA · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 31 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:
      Quote from @Remi Oguntoye:

      Hey Team,

      Quick tenant screening question for the landlords and PMs in here.

      I’m an investor who has used third-party property management in the past, but I’m now managing one of my own rentals directly and tightening up my screening process.

      Here’s the situation:

      A prospective resident applied, and her son recently turned 18. Since I require every adult occupant (18+) to apply and be screened separately, I had him submit his own application through DoorLoop (which runs screening through TransUnion).

      When I attempted to run the screening, TransUnion returned an error stating they were unable to verify his identity.

      For those of you who’ve seen this:

      • Is this usually caused by a thin or non-existent credit file (no credit cards, no banking history, no utilities in their name)?
      • Or is it more commonly due to incorrect info (typo in SSN, DOB mismatch, address history not matching, etc.)?

      Also curious what your process is when this happens:

      • Do you have them re-run the application with corrected info?
      • Do you request a copy of ID + SS card to confirm details?
      • Do you use an alternate screening method for young adults?
      • Or do you simply treat it as a red flag and move on?

      Appreciate any feedback. Trying to build a clean, repeatable process for this going forward.


      We require every adult to apply that is NOT a legal dependent of another adult occupant as proven via tax returns.

      This addresses the issue @Jill F. alludes to. 


       Thank you for the feedback Drew!

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5mo

    My reports always were direct from Equifax. They would respond with confirmation of the name and SS if they match, but would often state "no credit score due to lack of (credit) experience". Others might return with "SS issued within past 5 years". Of course, if the name or SS was input incorrectly, it would state "SS does not match" or "no Credit file".

    With regard to @Jill F.'s comment, I would caution you to not ask most of those questions, as you could be seen as discriminating based on familial status. Besides, who cares what his plans are assuming the Mother is a solid applicant. Just be sure to have him sign the rental agreement regardless. You do not want Mom, in six months, to move in with a new Boyfriend in a neighboring State, leaving the 18 year old alone to demolish the place with his friends.

    • Investor · Ohio, USA · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 31 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Richard F.:

      My reports always were direct from Equifax. They would respond with confirmation of the name and SS if they match, but would often state "no credit score due to lack of (credit) experience". Others might return with "SS issued within past 5 years". Of course, if the name or SS was input incorrectly, it would state "SS does not match" or "no Credit file".

      With regard to @Jill F.'s comment, I would caution you to not ask most of those questions, as you could be seen as discriminating based on familial status. Besides, who cares what his plans are assuming the Mother is a solid applicant. Just be sure to have him sign the rental agreement regardless. You do not want Mom, in six months, to move in with a new Boyfriend in a neighboring State, leaving the 18 year old alone to demolish the place with his friends.


       I appreciate this, and agree that I want to avoid any potential fair housing discrimination complaints. I asked them to contact TransUnion, who required him to submit some additional verification documents, and yesterday, I they provided his credit report, background report and evictions report. Based on the credit report, it looks like he just had very little history (one card w/ a $500 limit that was opened last month). 

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Remi Oguntoye:

    Hey Team,

    Quick tenant screening question for the landlords and PMs in here.

    I’m an investor who has used third-party property management in the past, but I’m now managing one of my own rentals directly and tightening up my screening process.

    Here’s the situation:

    A prospective resident applied, and her son recently turned 18. Since I require every adult occupant (18+) to apply and be screened separately, I had him submit his own application through DoorLoop (which runs screening through TransUnion).

    When I attempted to run the screening, TransUnion returned an error stating they were unable to verify his identity.

    For those of you who’ve seen this:

    • Is this usually caused by a thin or non-existent credit file (no credit cards, no banking history, no utilities in their name)?
    • Or is it more commonly due to incorrect info (typo in SSN, DOB mismatch, address history not matching, etc.)?

    Also curious what your process is when this happens:

    • Do you have them re-run the application with corrected info?
    • Do you request a copy of ID + SS card to confirm details?
    • Do you use an alternate screening method for young adults?
    • Or do you simply treat it as a red flag and move on?

    Appreciate any feedback. Trying to build a clean, repeatable process for this going forward.

    Realistically, an 18 year old isn't going to have much of a credit history. I'd check his income and tax returns. If he is paying his on phone bill, working to help support the family, that impresses me. If he has been sitting at home playing video games and eating pizza, not so much. Ask simple questions if you want the truth. What has the 18 year old been doing with his time?
  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 558 posts · 324 votes
    5mo

    This comes up pretty often with first-time applicants — especially right at 18. 

    In most cases, it's a thin or non-existent file rather than something fraudulent. If he hasn't had credit, utilities or anything reported in his name yet, TransUnion can't reliably match identity data, which triggers that error. 

    That said, I wouldn't assume — I'd verify. 

    The way we typically handle it is process-driven:
    • First, have them confirm all entered info (SSN, DOB, address history) — simple input errors are more common than people think
    • If it still fails, request ID + SS card (or equivalent) to validate identity directly
    • From there, treat it as a “no credit profile” scenario rather than a failed screening

    At that point, the decision usually shifts to risk mitigation instead of disqualification:
    • Co-signer/guarantor
    • Higher deposit (if allowed)
    • Income strength of the primary applicant

    I wouldn't treat it as an automatic red flag on its own but I also wouldn't skip the verification step. The key is having a consistent fallback process so you're not making one-off decisions each time. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.