A Good Voicemail to Get a Call-Back When Cold-Calling Vacant House Owners?

A Good Voicemail to Get a Call-Back When Cold-Calling Vacant House Owners?

Real Estate Investor · Steamboat, CO · Member since 2010 · 295 posts · 34 votes

I have done some work to locate vacant properties and want to start calling the owners. I realize that few people take calls without knowing who it is  anymore and I want to get a call back to either move forward or remove them from the list if they aren't interested. I don't want to keep spending time if they aren't interested and wont return a call if they have no interest in selling. I have a lot of time in finding the properties and don't want to fumble now, or keep spending time on dead ends.  

With this in mind, is it better to say I am interested in purchasing the house and then risk be ignored if they aren't interested, or simply say I wish to speak with them concerning a matter on the  house, for example, so they would need to call to find out what the issue is, and I can remove them from future efforts if they aren't interested?

From reading many other threads, I understand the Do Not Call list does not apply as I am trying to buy something from them, and  that topic has been covered in some depth in other threads. What is a good way to approach getting a call back or is there a better way altogether?    I have already mailed to the vacant houses and none came back with current forwarding addresses. Some may also end up with skip tracing. How might I get a call-back, whether they are interested or not?

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 608 posts · 163 votes
    11y

    Are most of the owners of the vacant houses in the same area as the vacant house ?

  • Real Estate Investor · Steamboat, CO · Member since 2010 · 295 posts · 34 votes
    11y

    Yes, for the most part, the owners of the vacant houses are in the same area. I usually don't know where, though, unless doing a skip trace, and that usually provides multiple addresses and multiple possible phone numbers. I am concentrating on houses shown as owner-occ (thought vacant), as absentee owners are so deluged with direct mail, though each of the vacant absentee owners received handwritten letters as well from me as a first step but are used to ignoring them and many are seniors. I have also left letters taped to the door jambs, in case someone comes to check on the property. So I am concentrating on the harder to locate owner occ properties,  that are vacant.

    I also suspect that some of the relatives don't want the owner to take action on the houses during their own lives, as they have plans for the property themselves later on- I have encountered on one house already. So I want to get to the decision-makers without necessarily revealing the entire topic so I can at least get a direct refusal, instead of someone who decides not pass on the message as they benefit from the property remaining as it is currently, or in the future, and I keep  wasting time on the property anyway.   I hope this makes some level of sense - wanting a return call without outwardly stating I want to buy the house, in the message.    

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.