Votes
Chris B.
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
General holdover question

Chris B.
  • Chandler, AZ
Posted May 17 2023, 18:02

I have read several posts here on the topic of holdovers as well as researched the idea elsewhere.  Based on your advice (Nathan) I think I'll be adding the criteria that holdovers will be charged at 4X normal prorated daily including the day the keys are retuned.  

What I'm not sure about is the situation where a tenant does leave the property, but the property in a poor condition such as filled with trash, or excessively dirty, or in need of repairs and the like.  Lets say it takes you 3 days to get a crew in there to clean it up or it takes you 4 days to have a handyman to get it fixed up... or even just 1 day.  Maybe they screwed up your new flooring and that takes 2 weeks to get a repair scheduled and performed.  Do you charge something like a holdover fee for the loss of use you incurred while diligently getting the unit rehabbed?  I'm not talking about routine wear and tear repairs or typical cleaning I always seem to have to do, but something that is clearly above and beyond an expected return condition.  Do you suck it up?  Do you charge for lost rent?  Do you only charge for repairs / cleaning and not lost rent?  Or otherwise?  Any suggestions or a text blurb to consider for the contract are appreciated.  Thanks!

Loading replies...